• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Server Downtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I was already wondering what happened because I had to fix something on my pc and then tried to go to see if it was fixed by checking the Hive.
Left me to think I still had a problem. :p
Good to hear it's solved and that it wasn't for my pc. It happens and it's not that annoying unless it happens weekly.

Level 1
save yourself the money and skip the UPS. it only provides enough power for your equipment to stay on so that you can save your work or switch to a backup generator. Without a backup generator, your servers would still stay off until you get back power.

Level 16
Well we dont need proffesional, we need good.. And good is certainly what we have here on the Hive, thanks to you, Ralle..
Not only for running a good site and stuff, but because you are part of the community and keep us updated on things like this, even though they might be so small sometimes..

Good job! :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
As long as power outages are not a common occurance, there is no reason to get a backup power supply. It would technically be more effective to rather spend the money on better servers or expanding the site than on a system which will prevent a couple of hour outages once or twice a year.

Ralle, are you sure you can not get the server to automatically start when power is restored? Many motherboard BIOS have an option to automatically start the computer once enough voltage appears across the powersupply. Something as simple as this could reduce the downtime by a couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.