• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Select 1 hero for all campaign missions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi. I have not started my project yet because I am waiting for WC3 Reforged release. However, I already have an idea for my campaign but I am not sure is it technically easy or even possible.

- My plan is that player can choose one hero in first mission, recruit from tavern for example.
- After first mission I want to use same hero for all missions in campaign.

Questions:

- Has anyone created campaign with this mechanic?
- Is it technically easy or even possible?
- Does hero stats and items carry over between missions?
- Is this technically data, triggers, banks or something else?

Pretty easy to be honest, just learn how to make Game Caches (there is a tutorial how to transfer data between maps through campaign here in Hive). Bear in mind Game Caches only work in Single Player. As for heroes, make a trigger and set the maximum trainable heroes to 1 so that when you spawn a hero you will not be able to get another.

Edit
- Game Cache template by IcemanBo
- Detailed tutorial

Last edited:
Level 8
Hi. I have not started my project yet because I am waiting for WC3 Reforged release. However, I already have an idea for my campaign but I am not sure is it technically easy or even possible.

- My plan is that player can choose one hero in first mission, recruit from tavern for example.
- After first mission I want to use same hero for all missions in campaign.

Questions:

- Has anyone created campaign with this mechanic?
- Is it technically easy or even possible?
- Does hero stats and items carry over between missions?
- Is this technically data, triggers, banks or something else?

For a singleplayer campaign, you can use the cache as mentioned in the first reply.

For multiplayer, you're likely going to need a save system based on "load codes".
The basic premise behind most of them, is that the string represents different data-points about your hero.
Lets say a hero is saved under the string "an34auhuef7843uawh8y332r8hdar8378hf7a8r73yyr73h7a33a" (random keyboard mash in this case)
Now, lets say that the first 4 characters, "an34", corresponds to a Mountain King, the next 4 "auhu" corresponds to the hero level, "ef7843" the current exp, "uawh" the amount of strength... then one for agi... one for int... and 6 more for each hero item. Then you basically have all of the information needed to recreate the exact hero. You can work in a unique item ID system to prevent item duping, or otherwise make a "soulbound" system, and then you're good to go.
This isn't exactly the simplest type of system to design and implement, and I am sure that someone has a template of sorts that you'd be able to use, but I think it answers your question about whether or not this is "technically possible".

Status
Not open for further replies.