• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 33
Why secrets are limited to only Paladin, Mage, and Hunter ?

Isn't that a little, biased ?
I mean, if you say these 3 classes are weak compared to others, well, you're dead wrong.

What I'm trying to say, Blizzard should include Secrets to all classes because from my point of view, all classes are basically countering each other in their own perspective ways so there should not be a distinct class where 3 classes have it, but others don't.

I can accept if Secrets are only applied to one class only like for example, Hunter, but when it applies to more than one class, it becomes automatically other classes should have it too.

I'm having a strong feeling that Blizzard would implement Secrets to all other classes as well, but it would be unfair for the time being for those 3 classes.

What do you guys think about this ?

Level 33
I don't find secrets useful in general. You'll have to be really lucky in order to benefit much from them. If you're an experienced player you can pay attention to how much mana the secret used and then probe the secret to trigger it in the least damaging way. If anything, they're good to slightly offset you for a turn or two.

You know right, each class has a specific mana cost to cast secret, right ?

Paladin - 1
Hunter - 2
Mage - 3

So, you can't really tell what Secrets they are deploying, because each Mana Cost is only class-specific as I mentioned above.

What I often did when enemy playing a Secret, I always experiment with the conditions using the least beneficial cards in my hand.

Like in my previous game against Paladin, he put a Secret, then I thought it can either only mean he's deploying: Repentance OR Redemption

I exclude other 2 secrets because I'm making judges based on the current situation, which is, my board has 0 minions, and he got a weak taunt and a Tirion (F***ing) Fordring, then I go ahead and use spell card to damage the Taunt, and I was right, he deployed a Redemption Secret, which I was in luck not to kill Tirion Fordring in the first place (his HP was 2 atm).

But back on the topic... will Blizzard ever implement other Secrets for other classes too ?

You know right, each class has a specific mana cost to cast secret, right ?

Paladin - 1
Hunter - 2
Mage - 3

So, you can't really tell what Secrets they are deploying, because each Mana Cost is only class-specific as I mentioned above.

Well, that kinda proves I don't play Secret cards at all. I never really paid attention. I thought each had a specific cost. Thanks.

What I often did when enemy playing a Secret, I always experiment with the conditions using the least beneficial cards in my hand.

Like in my previous game against Paladin, he put a Secret, then I thought it can either only mean he's deploying: Repentance OR Redemption

I exclude other 2 secrets because I'm making judges based on the current situation, which is, my board has 0 minions, and he got a weak taunt and a Tirion (F***ing) Fordring, then I go ahead and use spell card to damage the Taunt, and I was right, he deployed a Redemption Secret, which I was in luck not to kill Tirion Fordring in the first place (his HP was 2 atm).

Pretty much the second part of my post. You basically probe with cheap minions and spells just to trigger it. Pretty much only a nuisance.

As for other classes having secrets, I'm not really a fan of that. I feel that the presence of secrets is balanced out in a different way - Rogues get to do combos, Warriors have stronger weapons, etc. And besides, a hulking warrior kinda doesn't go with a secret mechanic for me (except maybe Revenge, if we go by World of Warcraft mechanics).

Level 33
Pretty much the second part of my post. You basically probe with cheap minions and spells just to trigger it. Pretty much only a nuisance.
But what if you have a "low-cost" minion at a cost of 4 mana currently, in your hand ?
4 Mana is huge in Hearthstone TCG if you'd ask me and it really limits your movements/actions by controlling certain conditions when you have Secret active.

This would promote a non-hasty decision and require proper coordination and consequence on what you're about to do, it adds a level of gameplay to the current flow.

As I said before, if they're trying to keep this mechanic, it should be only or class-specific like a Hunter that has Secret and only Hunter can have it.

But I don't understand why the idea they extend it to 2 other classes as well and abandoned the remaining classes.

I don't think other classes should have secrets either. It breaks the uniqueness of particular classes. It would be a plague to hearthstone just as it was for WoW.

While it was justified in a lot of senses in WoW (e.g. giving multiple classes interrupts), it increases the overall homogeneity between the classes. You lose that unique, awesome aspect of a class.

I'm afraid a similar thing would happen if they began to make secrets, weapons, etc. widespread in Hearthstone. Also, I don't really think Blizzard will add secrets to other classes because it requires at least 3 cards to be made (so that it is actually a "secret"). I'm not sure if Blizz would make such a massive change as that.

But I don't know for sure. :) Those are just my 2 cents.

Level 17
It would be soon I think. Unfortunately, I don't think they will add content or balance the cards any more before the release.
Probably only fix the many bugs riddling the game.

As for me, I do think something should be done with secrets, they are clearly the least fleshed out part of the game and drag secret synergy/counter cards down with them.
Frankly speaking the three classes are the least unique out of all the playable hero classes, which is probably a reason why they decided to give the secrets to them.
Which is probably the laziest thing they could've done not to mention the "secrets" of mage and paladin are based on skills that aren't even remotely secret at all.
Which does make one think they initially came up with "traps" but decided to change them to "secrets" for paladin and mage because those two ended up being pitifully unoriginal.
Though arguably some of the hunter traps are really good, incidentally today I had an opponent pull a good freezing trap play on my 10/7 hyena silencing it and messing up my play, but it is still too much of an RNG to justify including a secret over an active card in your deck. (given how he didn't win in the end anyway)

But then again, a lot of the cards in the game are poorly fleshed out and feel like they have been thrown in with little thought processing.
But it is very obvious with secrets.

Last edited:
Level 11
You could say the same about weapons, although they're a little more well distributed. I think eventually all classes will have secrets and weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.