• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Searing Arrows broke my hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi, recently back into having fun with the wc3 editor.

Can anyone explain to me as to why adding a searing attack to a melee hero, finding out it wont work then removing it broke the hero attack damage where the animation happens, but no damage is dealt?

Any response would help

Level 14
You give less information so people can't get it: Is that Searing arrow ability of Priestess of the Moon? or unused Searing Attack above it? or something else?
- If you modify any data field of original spell, please take screenshot of your spell and post it here.
- If you mean adding and removing searing arrow by trigger, then please post it here.

Level 3
You give less information so people can't get it: Is that Searing arrow ability of Priestess of the Moon? or unused Searing Attack above it? or something else?
- If you modify any data field of original spell, please take screenshot of your spell and post it here.
- If you mean adding and removing searing arrow by trigger, then please post it here.

Yes, my apologies for not giving enough information.

The situation occurred after a custom ability based on the Searing arrow of POTM was added to a melee unit. The previous custom abilities were working correctly. This may or may not be the cause, but no HERO units do any damage at all. Even those that are generic such as Paladin, Death Knight etc... whether they would be AI controlled or Player controlled. Normal units do damage.

The map used is a standard Melee Emerald Gardens. It has a few additional triggers which are not related to this but I will show them.

For the custom ability using Searing arrow as its base:

40694489_275765219707875_7394986772272250880_n.png

All the triggers present within the map - but they were not related to the searing arrow ability:
40808577_239281310069510_5360018176367132672_n.png

40828170_862243917312634_4187087033308545024_n.png

40684889_1872970319408522_6345616370826215424_n.png

(Apologies I am currently unable to post the triggers as needed in the forums, I am currently at work - friend sent me the screenshots as he was looking at the map to see if he could find the issue)

Nothing before adding searing arrows to the hero had such an impact, therefore I do not think that this is an issue with the hero itself.

@Bribe, I do not believe this is an issue with removing the ability form the hero - as this has affected ALL heroes (I know the tittle is misleading, but I have recently tested this and found out that to be the case).

In general, this is not a major issue, as there is not a lot that has been done and its easy to recreate before this issue, however, it would be good to know for the future.

I will upload the map later for anyone who wants to have a further check.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Level 3
Sound like a strange editor bug to me. What version of the WE/Wc3 are you running?

Latest patch of WC3. 1.30 - what ever the world editor that is associated with that.

What I might do when I am finished with work is take a new map, with a fresh custom hero and see if remaking the ability breaks it again.

Level 3
As far as I know, searing arrows does not work as it is intended to as in melee units. It is buggy, and I think it only work on ranged heroes.

See those; they have same or identical problem like yours :)
Melee Searing Arrows type skill
Searing Arrows-based spells "missing" on use?

I have seen these but none of them expressed their whole map breaking and stopping all Heroes from using Searing arrows. I will definitely avoid using it in the future for melee heroes.

I have not had a chance to sit down and look at it last night, but I will upload the map later if anyone wants to see what broke.

Thanks.

Level 13
I think the problem is cast range or smth. Try adjusting it with your hero's attack range. I think that ranged hero does not work with this ability is because your spell's cast range is 100 while they have 600 or smth :) I haven't tested it but try it :p

EDIT: "Stopped Searing Arrows from using" <- does this mean it is disabled like silence or no damage like melee ones?? I wasn't clear lol

Level 3
I think the problem is cast range or smth. Try adjusting it with your hero's attack range. I think that ranged hero does not work with this ability is because your spell's cast range is 100 while they have 600 or smth :) I haven't tested it but try it :p

Thanks I will try, but the problem is that this has affected EVERY hero in the game. So I am thinking this is just a general WE bug and will have to avoid using Searing arrow.

Level 3
So I have not found anything my self. Here is the map if anyone is interested in looking to see if I am an idiot have have missed something. Again this is simply to test abilities and nothing much has been done, I would just like to know in the future as to what broke it and how to fix it.

Attachments

• 12EmeraldGardens-Custom-Heroes-Galore.w3x
    499.6 KB · Views: 43
I believe you have the wrong Gameplay Constants set for this ability.

I've downloaded the map and tried it on my Mac, and everyone can attack but not deal damage. Given that you don't have a DDS in there setting all damage to zero, the only other thing I can think of is that you have changed the Gameplay Constants armor and damage type values.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Sorry I fail to see any problem here... The map is working as intended?

All heroes deal no damage as you specified they should. After all why else would you set the damage bonus for Hero type attacks to 0 for all armor types in the gameplay constants? After resetting the gameplay constants back to default all heroes start dealing damage to other units again.

In other words your heroes are dealing the correct damage. They are dealing their attack damage then multiplied by 0 because they deal 0% damage to all armor types. The resulting damage is obviously 0 but it is still correct.

Level 3
Sorry I fail to see any problem here... The map is working as intended?

All heroes deal no damage as you specified they should. After all why else would you set the damage bonus for Hero type attacks to 0 for all armor types in the gameplay constants? After resetting the gameplay constants back to default all heroes start dealing damage to other units again.

In other words your heroes are dealing the correct damage. They are dealing their attack damage then multiplied by 0 because they deal 0% damage to all armor types. The resulting damage is obviously 0 but it is still correct.
You have spotted the problem, as this constant was not changed by me. I never even looked to edit the damage bonus for hero type attacks. Thus it explains as to why that is happening. I am still learning map editing and am not sure where half of these constants are.

So thank you for finding the cause of this and I will know where to look in the future, my only question remains as to why that got changed when I never looked there, but that doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.