• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scout Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hiho,

for my upcoming TD map I am in need of a better model for the so-called Scout Tower which is able to detect invisible units.

For that I got a simple, yet nice-looking idea for a tower model which is basically a mix of two wc3 models:

- Arcane Tower
- Observer Ward (the blue one)

The result should look similar to this but without the ugly body of the ward model within the tower model:

attachment.php

I hope that you may find this request cool and interesting as I think that this could fit into any other tower defense like map as well and could be of greater use for other mappers, too. =)

Regards,
Robbepop

Attachments

• concept_scout_tower.png
    concept_scout_tower.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Level 37
Hiho,

for my upcoming TD map I am in need of a better model for the so-called Scout Tower which is able to detect invisible units.

For that I got a simple, yet nice-looking idea for a tower model which is basically a mix of two wc3 models:

- Arcane Tower
- Observer Ward (the blue one)

The result should look similar to this but without the ugly body of the ward model within the tower model:

attachment.php

I hope that you may find this request cool and interesting as I think that this could fit into any other tower defense like map as well and could be of greater use for other mappers, too. =)

Regards,
Robbepop

Love the concept idea :) hopimg someone can make this!

Level 11
Hiho,

I am sorry that the picture did not showup, I uploaded a new attachment image in the first post of this thread.

You understood my concept idea perfectly well.
The only change I would like to make is to make the blue eye much larger as shown in my uploaded image, so that it doesn't look like a minor effect attachment but a real part of the tower.

PS: Maybe my planned eye size is too big, so the modeller who wants to create such a tower model can of course experiment with the size that looks the best. =)

Regards,
Robbepop

ILH

ILH

Model Reviewer
Level 26
Resized.
217749-albums6861-picture101702.png

The eye, however, I cannot make its blink animation since I have to reimport those Eyelids and reattach them to different bones, which is a "hard" thing to do. So I made the eye scale a bit in the animation.

But, there's another way I can do it. It uses in-model attachment which you need to import 2 models to your map to make it work (The tower and the eye). Tell me if you want to do this one.

Attachments

• HumanTowerWatcher.mdx
    187.5 KB · Views: 50
Level 11
Hiho,

wow very cool! looks awesome and is pretty ingame. =)

However, I have a special wish for my map in special as this model size is fairly big (190kb ...).

First: Could you remove all the other animations maybe so that this "upgrade, third" is the only model. I don't require the others for my map and it just wastes important space for me.

Second: Could you base the model on the arcane tower (just like in my picture) which is the one without the door texture. I think that'd look better.

Third: Isn't it really that hard to overtake the eyes animations? They are so awesome and would make this model even cooler!

The first request is mandatory as I can't use this model with such a huge file size in my map which has a current map size of about 500 kb.
The second and third request is not mandatory but would be very nice for me to have and cool enhancements. =)

Regards,
Robbepop

Level 11
Hiho,

thank you very much for your fast responses and edits!

Okay I think I will have to stick with an non-animated eye then, at least you animated it slightly with a scaling so it doesn't look too bad. ;)

For your edited model I have found a bug and I got another request. I hope that's not too annoying for you!

The bug is that the tower model uses the wrong texture. It should use the arcane towers texture (image above) but instead it uses the arrow tower texture (or what is it called?).

The second thing is not mandatory but it would be really nice to have and shouldn't be too hard to do. I am asking for a better camera where one can see the eye (the primary thing of this tower) better.

Here an image of the current tower model ingame:
attachment.php

Regards,
Robbepop

Attachments

• scout_tower_fix2_texture_and_cam.png
    scout_tower_fix2_texture_and_cam.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 270
Level 37
Hiho,

thank you very much for your fast responses and edits!

Okay I think I will have to stick with an non-animated eye then, at least you animated it slightly with a scaling so it doesn't look too bad. ;)

For your edited model I have found a bug and I got another request. I hope that's not too annoying for you!

The bug is that the tower model uses the wrong texture. It should use the arcane towers texture (image above) but instead it uses the arrow tower texture (or what is it called?).

The second thing is not mandatory but it would be really nice to have and shouldn't be too hard to do. I am asking for a better camera where one can see the eye (the primary thing of this tower) better.

Here an image of the current tower model ingame:
attachment.php

Regards,
Robbepop

That is the Arcane Tower, Robbe. What you're refering to is the Elven Tower.

ILH

ILH

Model Reviewer
Level 26
Yep, as KILLCIDE has said above, it uses the correct texture as you said "Arcane Tower", but I think you refers to the Elven Tower.
I'll try to rewrap it and change the camera too.

Status
Not open for further replies.