• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sci-Fi literature discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
That is a load of rubbish. You can't just tell a computer to identify a problem you have to tell it the problem or create a lot of variables that make it identify a single problem.

Computers don't 'guess'.

In short yes you do need to make a code for every problem that exists.

So you're saying that making a learning computer is impossible? What do you base this load of rubbish on? For the record, humans are such computers.

No what I'm saying is that computers don't guess to create a learning computer you need to tell it how it exactly how to identify things in the first place and give it a lot of variables etc on how to behave when certain conditions are met. Learning computers of any notable scale don't exist right now.

Yes I know I'm using warcraft trigger editor terms but the usage is the same.

It's not impossible just not today.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I just noticed while translating a story(I'm a writer btw), that either estonian is more complicated or I just don't know english as well as I know estonian.
Some stuff is nigh untranslatable.
You've just got to focus on making sure you transmit the exact same idea, words matter little unless the author had a very good reason to use those words exactly.

Level 21
You've just got to focus on making sure you transmit the exact same idea, words matter little unless the author had a very good reason to use those words exactly.

Yeah, that's exactly where the problem comes from. This story, unlike my others, is written in a way that makes the meaning much harder to translate. Mainly because the characters use puns and simplifying slang.

Level 6
Reviving the thread with posting a great book named "The Final Circle of Paradise" by Strugatskys. And this is what I recommend to just everyone ITT. It is a bit dystopian, and has very, very urgent problems in it. Social book that reflects perfectly what's happening to modern society though it's been written about half a century ago. So let's stop talking and start reading (re-reading for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.