• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Save/Load Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I have two maps on the planning stage atm. One of them is a multi-mapped rpg (similar to rexxar campaign) which would have an in depth stat system (5 stats or more), full screen inventory, multiple hero classes, etc.

The reason for having so many stats is that I wanted players to focus on, not just the story, but with the hero's pvp capability as well. Since I have plans on making a separate pvp map for players where they just load up their hero from the srpg and battle it out on other players.

I am not quite sure about the last feature though. I imagine having codes for each item, skill, skill level, stats etc and mashing all those code into one long code then giving it to the player somehow but.. It's kinda hard to think about methods when I can't even access the WE.

So I have some questions here:
1.) Can I use Save/Load systems with 2 completely different maps? (Save from the srpg, Load to the Pvp map and vice versa?)
2.) Can such system be made via GUI triggers?
3.) If you understood the method I mentioned on the last paragraph of my blab, do you think that's a good method in doing this kind of save load thing?

Ty in advanced for any help. Feel free to ask if you can't understand something here.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
1. yes, but the item ids, units ids and so on needs to be the same in both maps. Otherwise you might save claws of attack and receive a healing potion in the other one. (I think)

2. this has been asked many times and the answer is vague. It's possible to create a save/load system. But apparently a really good one needs to be in jass/vjass. (until proven wrong anyway) edit: check out codegen in the spell section.

3. I wouldn't recommend it, do it as a feature after the map is released. Don't even try it before that :p

Level 10
I have two maps on the planning stage atm. One of them is a multi-mapped rpg (similar to rexxar campaign) which would have an in depth stat system (5 stats or more), full screen inventory, multiple hero classes, etc.

The reason for having so many stats is that I wanted players to focus on, not just the story, but with the hero's pvp capability as well. Since I have plans on making a separate pvp map for players where they just load up their hero from the srpg and battle it out on other players.

I am not quite sure about the last feature though. I imagine having codes for each item, skill, skill level, stats etc and mashing all those code into one long code then giving it to the player somehow but.. It's kinda hard to think about methods when I can't even access the WE.

So I have some questions here:
1.) Can I use Save/Load systems with 2 completely different maps? (Save from the srpg, Load to the Pvp map and vice versa?)
2.) Can such system be made via GUI triggers?
3.) If you understood the method I mentioned on the last paragraph of my blab, do you think that's a good method in doing this kind of save load thing?

Ty in advanced for any help. Feel free to ask if you can't understand something here.

I dont want to use this as a self promotion, but I made a Campaign with an open world system and a big multiboard inventory, custom hero stats etc. etc. which is available in the director's cut section. It is not protected, so if you like you can look up all the triggers I used. It is in GUI ;D and if you got further questions I am a total expert on this topic ;DDD http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/teop-sechiron-rises-259591/?prev=mmr=6

Level 23
1. yes, but the item ids, units ids and so on needs to be the same in both maps. Otherwise you might save claws of attack and receive a healing potion in the other one. (I think)

2. this has been asked many times and the answer is vague. It's possible to create a save/load system. But apparently a really good one needs to be in jass/vjass. (until proven wrong anyway) edit: check out codegen in the spell section.

3. I wouldn't recommend it, do it as a feature after the map is released. Don't even try it before that :p

3.) Yeah, that's for sure. I wouldn't want to quit when my maps not even finished. Although it does help when I plan my shit. xD

I dont want to use this as a self promotion, but I made a Campaign with an open world system and a big multiboard inventory, custom hero stats etc. etc. which is available in the director's cut section. It is not protected, so if you like you can look up all the triggers I used. It is in GUI ;D and if you got further questions I am a total expert on this topic ;DDD http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/teop-sechiron-rises-259591/?prev=mmr=6

I'm not really interested in those systems. I got that covered easily. So, thanks but no thanks. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.