• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sansui's Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Pencil sketch, started out as a pen sketch of a friend.
I redid it in pencil so it wasn't on lined paper in my notebook.
I didn't spend too much time on it and am not very happy with it, but here it is.

Attachments

• lifesketch_pencil(remake).jpg
    lifesketch_pencil(remake).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 129
I simply stated you should not base your works on what other people want to see.

Good, then nobody will want to see it at all, then what is the point for posting it up on the forums? lol.

Anyway, here is my crit.

If I where you... I would put down the tablet and photoshop and corelpainter all the digital crap.

Got paper, cheap watercolors, and made (If you claim to be an artist) at least 50 paintings a day, FROM LIFE ONLY.
There is no need to draw conceptual or fantasy things if your artistic level doesn't have the fundamentals.

I would, if I had free time, read the philosophy of real artists like Michelangelo, Repin, Surikov, Frazetta(illustrator). to understand why real artist can't paint what he or she wants.

I would develop my own deep phylosophy basing of the great phylosophers to have power in my conceptual works. And then, looking at my work, people will think that I do what I want, not knowing that I do what people NEED.

That is what I would do. And by the way, an artist is 1% of talent and 99% of fuсking hard work.

Hope this is usefull, good luck my friend.

Level 18
I never claimed to be an artist, this is a hobby.
If you think that from my signature than I will have to inform you that it is indeed song lyrics that I enjoyed as it has many meanings.

Any who back to the point, I would love to have the time and money to continue my traditional art. However, sadly I do not as I am rather busy becoming an engineer which eats most of my time and money.

I do agree on developing ones philosophy on the philosophies of men before us and I strive to do such.
I do agree that I do need to go back to basics if I ever truly wanted to improve.

I simply have a vastly differing view on art than you.
"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Also I do not agree that art is 1% talent 99% hard work.
Some people could try as hard as they want and never obtain levels that others have with less work.
The same is true with sports, some people are naturally better than others.
However you can have all the talent you want without hard work you will never be anywhere.
I think artistic ability is set deeper into genetics than you are giving credit.
My brother for instance is an amazing artist, he has never taken a single formal art class and can reproduce things realistically after seeing them once.
However he is a complete moron when it comes to social skills, and language.

Last edited:
Level 21
CRAZYRUSSIAN, you're a good artist, but honestly you don't need to be telling others what to do, you tell them how to improve upon what they're doing
Don't define what an "artist" is, as discussing such semantics is pointless
He can do digital art if he wants, and honestly, it'd probably help him more than learning/self-learning watercolor, oils, or any other medium, unless he did that to learn color theory and composition from a class involving one of those mediums. But by "help" I'm talking about the real world and business. Learning painting and such isn't a bad thing, but saying he should drop digital art for it is rather arrogant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.