• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Sammy!

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
The portrait can't talk, I don't know how to fix it, but as a kobold, he doesn't really talk after all.
Contents

Sammy (Model)

Sammy Portrait (Model)

Sammy Icon (Icon)

Level 21
OMG~~~!!!!
You made that old model they didn't make...

Also if someone could edit it we could have some Pygmys in Warcraft finally...

I think you might be confused about which character you are celebrating:
1688935684193.png

According to the in-game unit tooltips, the Kobold Shoveler is a caricature/parody of Vice President of Blizzard, Frank pearce.
He is represented as a kobold with a shovel, presumably because he is "good at cutting through the chaff and getting tasks done."

Conversely, according to in-game unit tooltips the Sammy! unit is a caricature/parody of Lead artist, Sam Didier. He is portrayed as a flaming error cube of doom because elsewhere in the game files there appears to be a large, generic cube roughly the size of a farm that simply has the face of Samwise on it, suggesting that during the game's development this error cube was probably displayed whenever a model failed to load (similar to how the production versions of Warcraft III sometimes show checkered generic cubes when resources fail to load). Presumably, by putting his face on it whenever something would fail to load, the Lead Artist could ensure that anyone on the game's team who was testing would know to report to him when they encountered the "Sammy Cube" during the game (which would indicate an art file resolution problem).

So, I bring this up because according to my understanding as a layman from the outside, the Kobold Shover is not meant to represent the character of Sammy and to the extent that we want to celebrate and honor the original authors of everything that Warcraft III is, it would probably be best to do so by not confusing these concepts.

Edit: here are there faces from quick internet searches next to the corresponding caricatures:
1688936577830.png

Edit 2:
As an additional note, in-game the attack ability of the Sammy! unit is to throw the classic fireballs of the Archmage, loaded as a standard art file for an attack, whereas the attack of the Kobold Shoveler unit is nothing special but the shoveler unit also has Chain Lightning as a skill. Over the past week or so, I attempted to reprogram the Chain Lightning skill using my own code outside of Warcraft III and in order to get the flashes of light and the lightning bolts between units and the bouncing bolt delays, this was actually a somewhat involved (albeit fun) technical programming effort. If you think about it, the Chain Lightning skill is not simply an art file but a complex interaction between the art and the game engine to produce that bouncing bolt effect.

So, it would not surprise me at all if the choices in these cases were intentional, suggesting that the "Powerful programmer" tooltip for Frank Pearce might mean he was the kind of person who could synthesize together all of the software necessary for Chain Lightning to work, whereas the "Good at concept art" quality of Samwise might be why his unit uses a basic attack but with the well-made fireball art asset that is reused by the Archmage and the Orc Warlock and the Red Drake and so many others, because it is a well-conceived and reusable piece of art. However, this last part is merely my own speculation/conjecture about the stuff in the game data, since we do not have individual attributions regarding the reasoning behind the abilities and stats of these units.

Last edited:
Please fix both the Decay Flesh and Decay Bones animation. It may not be visible on the former, but for the latter, the skull flickers - in the HIVE Workshop preview, the flesh head and the skull switches in-between. I tested the model in-game, and the skull in the Decay Bones flickers still.

Level 4
I'm getting an issue where loading a map with this model placed crashes the editor. There's no workaround except to delete the model with the MPQ Editor. Since the model is HD there's no way to reconvert it. I can edit it in RMS, but as far as I can tell, having any vertices results in a crash. I'll need to do more research, but that's what it seems to be.

EDIT: 100% confirmed. Having a single triangle anywhere on the mesh causes the crash.

Oh well, looks like I'll be using the SD model in HD.

Last edited:
Having a single triangle anywhere on the mesh causes the crash.
I haven't been spending a lot of time in HD editor, but ever since the August 2022 patch cycle wasn't this a known thing that HD assets can cause random crash bugs in the world editor that the user has no power over? I thought that was why serious users would run 1.32 map editor, and 1.36 game. [Since 1.32 editor was made by the previous team who valued editor stability, and 1.36 game can still play 1.32 format maps] For example, your crash map doesn't crash the game, right?

Level 4
For example, your crash map doesn't crash the game, right?
No, it doesn't. In fact, it only happens if the model is present on the map when it's loaded (like a placed unit) and not from loading a map inside a campaign. Since running the editor executable directly is literally just the same as loading the client itself (it loads the Bnet client instead of the editor) and by your suggestion the 1.32 editor still works so it must be able to be launched from the executable instead of trying to do so running the client, combined with a Google search for the only relevant information in the crash log that isn't an IP address suggesting it being some sort of encryption (the NGDP stuff) suggests it's an encryption/security/anti-tampering measure that's going horribly wrong.

That said, I wouldn't know how to actually use the 1.32 editor. Do I download it from somewhere and double click the exe?

EDIT: I also wouldn't know what NGDP actually is.

Also, I forgot to mention that this isn't the only model that's having this problem. I ran into it with the Female Shaman and Crystal Golem as well.

Last edited: