• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rush/Boom/Turtle mechanics in a Risk map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
So I'm thinking about making a risk map and, for a bit of flavour, I want players to be able to pick from a number of different teams, part of the variation will be the Rush/Boom/Turtle mechanics stuff.

Eg a Boom team getting much much stronger the more territories they have, a rush team having cheap, free and/or fast early units but their "curve" drops off early so late game they're less efficient and the Turtle team having defence benefits eg middling efficiency (so they lose out to booming late game) but stuff like devotion aura on their territories to help them defend against rushers.

Does this triad undermine the intention of risk games? Does risk (as opposed to other strategy games) inherently favour a specific play style?

Issues I can see happening are:
Rushing players making huge gains early on and capturing isolated/neutral territories and effectively becoming a boom player due to sheer territory gain.
The map being large enough such that the booming player doesn't encounter significant opposition until it's too late, ie the map being large enough that they enter their late game strength without sufficient opposition, dominating the other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.