• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Kodo Defence Game problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello I created a game that is basically a fusion of kodo tag + vampirism/island defence. Basically you have to survive for 30+ minutes and rescue allies by going to the centre of the map. But in this game the kodos are smarter and will attack buildings There's also a kodo player hero.

There are a few problems though.
1) Players don't want to take the risk to rescue other players as the risk of dying is too high.
Even when there's gold reward and that the kodo player gains extra lumber and strength with players captured

2) It is difficult to rebase after being caught.

3) Limited gold in gold mines cause the players to lose in late game. I don't want to make the gold mines unlimited in money I want to make the players feel that gold is precious and they have to risk and work hard for the gold. But currently the late game people have no gold left and have to make do without any. There are 3 tactics though either to convert kodo corpses to gold, send a unit to run around and kill gold boxes that randomly Spawn around the map or rebase. But still the gold income is too little. Need a new innovative way to farm gold.
Would appreciate some cool ideas to solve the maps current problems

Kodo Defence Ver 6.4a

Attachments

• Kodo Defence Tag Ver 6.7b.w3x
    2.4 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Level 5
Maybe make income buildings that are quite expensive.
Then when the kodos kill that income building you lose the income but you need those buildings to have correct income in end game.

"2) It is difficult to rebase after being caught."

Maybe when someone is freed you should give that individual a bunch of resources.
Then add a special building like "instant fort" that makes a bunch of walls and towers over a significant perimeter at once when built(but which would have a quite high cost)

For rescuing do you have items or buildings that grants invisibility or blink or whatever?(or even more silly: a building that makes a corridor with a door at the end when you use a special ability it have)

Then finally I ask: what do your kodo defense adds over other kodos defenses?
Does it have the ultimate tooltips that makes people understand everything just by reading?
Does it have a quick and well designed gameplay that makes matches last less than a few minutes while giving a lot of possible strategies and counter strategies?
Does it have some unique mechanics?
Does it have a great terrain?
Does it gives comparable chances to both sides?
Does it combine two or more of the former things?

Level 5
Kodo Defence Ver 6.4a

Attached is the map if you would like to try it.

I feel like an expensive income generator is quite a boring way to increase income it could be a way but I feel that something that makes a player work for the gold would be better.

The players get a 2.5 second invulnerability after being rescued.

I feel that giving the players gold when they are being rescued would cause them to misuse the system by dying a few times.

Level 5
Yeah I guess that's a reasonable solution. Any other ideas though??
You could rig up a pseudo-income trigger, removing/altering the gold mine ability when it should be empty, then using a trigger to set the gold mine back to some small, but present, number every so often. A trickle to allow the permanent use of one base, while still pushing towards multibase and switching bases over time.

Another thought that'd solve a number of building-based issues is to have most of the raw delaying power of structures come from research that onlines with the initial construction, so that rebuilding is quick enough to make it actually work out properly. Driving off the Kodos can remain the work of upgrading towers sequentially, but having much of the raw delaying power come from researches that don't care about how long you've had to build up fixes the issue with massive delays in recovering from broken walls. Of course, an alternative to allow repairing walls after segments are destroyed is to have mobile walls, so that the intact/high level ones from the rear move to the front to allow rebuilding.

The big thing is that the Island Defense style of map is one where massive amounts of resources and time end up in single structures, with the loss of a structure costing all of those resources. This means that recovering from a bad attack is very nearly impossible unless you have those costs be recovered or protect yourself during rebuilding, such as by doing research instead of upgrading single structures or having movable walls to have your replacements built behind perfectly intact defenses.

Level 5
Yeah I understand, I thought about that. I'm going to make advance towers require upgrade in order to build them but I will lower the cost of all of them.

The gold mine problem 2 solutions I came up with
1) gold rune. Players can plant a rune where they get money/sec based on how many kodos are around/not around in a 1000aoe currently .
2)blood mage unit. This mage is an advanced unit can use a "mana drain" ability but on gold mines.

Status
Not open for further replies.