• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Running Large Maps Smoothly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi everyone!
This is as much a help thread as a question one too for starters.
Firstly I wanted to share a way to run WC3 Custom Maps relatively well.
Have you ever tried to play that 20mb+ RPG map and it gets stuck halfway through loading and crashes? I have a few working solutions ;) Basically I'm assuming that you Alt + Tab out of WC3 and end the warcraft3.exe process when you see that its not responding when the loading screen bar stops. Well number one tip; don't Alt + Tab and end the process, be patientand Warcraft will recover and continue loading your map. Yes you may have to wait for 5 - 10 minutes, but its worth it in the end.
Now you may notice that most maps say you must or highly recommend have Highest settings turned on. This isn't always necessary. For example those of you running WC3 on a crappy laptop like mine can't run very well on High. They say this usually because they themselves tested the map on High settings. I'm not saying they're giving out bad advice, on the contrary if you run most maps on High they will look better etc. But in most cases using Medium settings works fine as well and puts less strain on your PC hardware. I wouldn't recommend Low settings for most custom maps as you are more likely to encounter crashes or bugs due to hi-res textures and such.
Next thing is basically a last ditch attempt to get the map working. If the file name is some super long sentence like, asdfpwqioeru2309, for example :goblin_yeah: change the name to asdf. Warcraft doesn't like long file names so that can sometimes cause it to glitch as well :/ Long names can cause you not to see the map at all on the Custom Game screen or cause it not to show properly.
If none of the above work than I recommend getting a new computer :thumbs_up:
Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and feel free to add suggestions, if you do I'll add them :grin:
If you found this helpful in anyway please leave your feedback or anything. A nice gesture goes a long way :vw_love: Hahaha

Furiion :goblin_boom:

Last edited:
Level 11
None of you wrote made any sense.

20mb ORPG? Not possible. Online maps has 8mb limit. The game won't crash in the loading screen unless there's something wroth with either your computer or the map itself.

Alt-tabbing doesn't change anything, unless you set the background program priorities to low. Otherwise it just keeps loading in the background normally.

No map requires settings set to high. It's only recommented cause some models and textures glitch or look poor on lower settings.

Long file names doesn't cause the map to crash. If the name is too long the it just causes the map not to be visible in game, therefore it cannot be played.

And lastly, the graphic settings doesn't even affect loading times. HDD is the only thing that does.

PS. You can't give rep in off-topic section.

Level 5
20mb ORPG? Not possible.
Sorry I meant RPG, my bad, I'll change it.
Alt-tabbing doesn't change anything,
Alt + Tab and then end process is what I meant :/
No map requires settings set to high. It's only recommented
That's what I said :|
Long file names doesn't cause the map to crash.
True it's more of a bug, it can cause you not to be able to see or start up the map, I'll fix that.
And lastly, the graphic settings doesn't even affect loading times. HDD is the only thing that does.
I never said they did...

Thanks for the feedback I'll fix it accordingly.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Map file size has nothing to do with loading time. It could be possible to make a 1 MB map that never loads (would load by the end of time).

Only for simple maps. It is easilly possible to load all WC3 data in under 10 seconds on a modern mechanical disk.

Most of the loading time is procedurally generated structures from game data files. For example, a 20,000 level ability might take minutes to build.

Object edtior is the major killer. I looked at how WC3 loads object editor data and it appears each field of each type is loaded using an O(n) linear search.

Status
Not open for further replies.