• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

rpg maker 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
i am working on a game called immortals path with the rpg maker 2003. it is about a team of 4 people that need to defeat a certain enemy in order to pass a test. they can submit to their dark side and become assasins or snipers or they can do good to become saints or remain neutral. there will be 3 endings based on alignment. the game`s difficulty is very easy. the characters primary means of leveling up is to defeat bosses. i might upload current progress to a different website once i have fixed all of the bugs.

Level 6
I worked a lot with rpgmaker 2k and 2k3 many years ago.
Will the fight system use the normal final fantasy style system or did you create your own system?
also, will the game have a special interface (maybe visible while walking around) or will you use the premade one?

Level 21
the battle system i use is the default system.(i use the battle interface that show mana.) the game is partially inspired by final fantasy 1. different towns have different music. there is a job system that is based on alignment. what do you mean by special interface? maybe you could help me solve some bugs.

Level 6
The own interface I mentioned is something like a own escape menu, that uses pictures or that ports you to a menu-map or so.
Also a own interface would be something like a ingame interface like a health display and so on.

Sure I can help you to remove bugs :)

Level 21
there is a different problem that you might be able to help me with. the characters start on the map but different regions have different music. it works well when i keep the music in the first area off at the start but i want it to run from the start. how do i solve the bug there.(the music event i use starts over each time the characters leave a cave.)

Level 6
If I understood your question right, you need a parallel event, that checks the position of the hero and finds out, in which area he is (should be easy, you just have to compare the coordinates).
Then you have to check if the new area number is the same as the old, if yes, nothing happens if, no, the music changes and the old area number is set to the new one.

I'd guess you should let this event repeat ever 2 secons or so (or maybe 2.1 to avoid interferences with other events) -> you have to use label, wait and goto.

It may be very usefull to have a common event that determines the area number and to call it from your parallel event.
If you also check the map-code there, you can use it for all maps you have, to determine the music for areas.

Level 6
please explain. i dont know everything about the system yet. i just started using rpg maker 2003 this year.

Oh, ok.
What I meant was, you change your music event(MusicPlayer) on the world map to parallel instead of autostart.
then it saves the coordinates of the player to to variables (lets call them X and Y) and the map id into a third (MapID).

Then you have to make a new common event (MusicFinder) that checks if X and Y are withing certain boundaries (so you need some conditions). So you have to look up in yout mapeditor, which coordinates the topleft and the bottom right corner of your area have. (I hope you are good enough at math to know how to see it a (X/Y) is inside a area)
Then it sets a Variable (NewMusicID) to a certain value that represents the music (not the area!) that we want in the area.

Then our MusicPlayer has to start the MusicFinder.

Now the MusicPlayer checks, if NewMusicID is tha same as OldMusic ID, if yes, nothing happens, if no, stops the current music, plays the new one and sets OldMusic ID to NewMusicID.

Then the MusicPlayer waits 1.7 seconds. (If you have multiple events that are exectuted at the same time, the game tends to lag, especially when using "pictures", so we use a number that doesn't cause many interferences)

//////////////////////////

Now we have a little bug tha we have to fix. When you leave the worldmap within a certain reagion and then enter it again, the music won't play, so, we need a autostart event (let's call it EnterMusic) on our worldmap that does the same as our event above, but it doesn't check if both IDs are the same. It just plays the music. We also don't need the wait at the end of the event, instead we have to put a "Erease Event" there. This little function will remove the event entirely from the game, but when you enter the map again, it will be there again.

If you want to extend this system, you can put the MusicPlayer and the EnterMusic on all your maps and then check the MapID in the MusicFinder before checking the area.

If you want to be able to turn off the MusicPlayer for only one visit of the map, you can add a second page to it. This page needs a switch (MusicOFF) and is executed on autostart. it has only two operations:
Erease Event
Set MusicOFF off

If you want to switch off the event for ever or just a bit longer, you can add a third page with the switch MusicVeryOFF.

If you have any questions, ask ;)

Level 6
You mean 3 items as condition for an event page to be active?
how about one event, that is triggered by one of the items and then has 2 conditions that check the other 2 items? (there are a lot of other solutions)

Status
Not open for further replies.