• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Roaming units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello.
Its me again ^ ^ I really don't have idea how to make units ,,free walking''. I was searching for tutorials but there was none. I want to make villagers who belongs to (computer) Grey roam in the city. Now they are just simply standing. Walking villagers are really important part of my map. Thanks for help:)

Level 13
Do not know the nature of the map, but if the villagers ever need to cast spells or be ordered to do anything , the Wander ability could potentially ruin that. You can easily trigger this, picking all the villagers and picking a random coordinate for each to move to and could be restricted by range and any other factors you desire.

Level 15
It is only really viable to have at most a hundred or two wondering units. Any more will cause issues such as map performance difficulties and/or movement difficulties for the owning player.

As in units with Wander ability ('AWan') or triggering units to wander?

I would hope there would be no map performance difficulties with 'AWan.' Unless Blizzard made 'AWan' use their path finding system (sadness :[).

Also, if you want a wandering unit to cast spells or fight, you can trigger when to remove/add wander ability. e.g. a wandering creep is in combat, remove the wander ability. Then, when the creep is out of combat, add it back in.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
As in units with Wander ability ('AWan') or triggering units to wander?
More as in for map performance caused by too many units. This is why creeps despawn in good RPGs when you are not in the area.

Another effect could be movement overload (too many units moving at same time) to very poor AI performance due to too many units to consider.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.