• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Road to War

Reactions: dead-man-walking
Road to War is a Warcraft III custom map developed by PhantomTap.com.

Genre: Action RPG

Players: 1-4

Synopsis: Choose a Hero and customize their set of abilities. Face a random sequence of Boss controlled areas in cage match fashion. Defeat wave after wave of minions, level up, then take down each Boss as they come for you personally. Get in, rack up a major death toll, get your loot, and get out! Clear four Boss encounters before running out of lives to achieve victory.

Features:

-Customize the abilities of your Hero in-game! Choose a primary damage spell, support ability, and a passive utility skill to create a Hero that fits your preferred play style.

-Choose from 4 distinct difficulty settings (Easy, Normal, Hard, or Hardcore) and 2 alternate modes of play (battle your friends in PvP Mode or face a rapid chain of Bosses in Boss Rush Mode).

-Experience co-op gameplay that is balanced dynamically. Corresponding to the number of active players enemies receive an appropriately beneficial aura and additional units to keep the difficulty on par whether you're alone or supported by up to three friends.

-Overcome fierce and interactive Boss battles! Destroy enemy units with explosive barrels, avoid the repeating cannons of a battleship at sea, lead kamikaze units into their own comrades, take cover from devastating mana nukes, and much more!

-Arrive on the battlefield and make a pivotal choice about which side to take in the upcoming war: the mechanized Iron Legion or the magical Arcanis Imperium! With the support of either army turn the tide of battle and attempt to siege the enemy fortress to end the war forever!

-Every game is different! With random spawns, random drops, uniquely customizable Heroes, and different Boss sequences; no play-through is ever the same!

Deadpan (A.K.A. PhantomTap on this site) - Lead Designer, Terrain, Triggers, Spells, etc.

Blinky the Tiger - Shards of Winter, Twitch Bolts, Illuminate, Natural Order

Paladon - Knockback system

Egg - Undead Medivh skin/icon, Undead Shadow Hunter, and Undead Panda

Mock1 - Undead Blademaster skin/icon

Gar'nogal - Undead Garithos skin

Sheyd - Undead Shandris skin/icon

Crazyrussian - Ability icons for Bone Gambler, Hard Puncher, Heart Thief, Intensive Training, Rolling Thunder, Shards of Winter, Spark Pulse, Spew, and War Cry

Taco J - Primary tester

And special thanks to all our players and testers! Enjoy!

4/11/10 (Version 2.0)

-Added difficulty settings (Easy, Medium, Hard, and Hardcore) which are chosen in-game prior to starting the first encounter. The higher the difficulty chosen the less effective Bottomless Healing Potions and Mana Nukes become. You will also begin with fewer lives on higher difficulty settings. The specifics are further explained in-game.

-Alongside the new difficulty settings are 2 new game modes: Boss Rush (a speedrun mode in which only Bosses are faced) and PvP (a short player vs player mode that sets Heroes at level 16 and pits them against one another in FFA arena-style combat).

-Added a new encounter, The Sanctuary, which is 1 of 3 possible second stages (selected at random).

-Added 2 new spells to Spell Shop #2: Illuminate and Natural Order.

-Removed Wish from Spell Shop #1.

-Added new level 6 abilities for the Wraith and Infected Pandaren: Torch Shot and Blitz.

-Decreased the stun duration and amount healed by the Harbinger's level 6: Darklight.

-Decreased the stun duration and damage dealt by the Devil Tamer's level 6: Dark Impact. However, the summoned unit's attacks now Cleave.

-Bone Gambler Fire Mages are no longer capable of damaging allies. Additionally, the fire left behind by their attacks, has a smaller radius and causes significantly higher damage.

-Bone Gambler Archers no longer have the Fever Pitch ability, but they attack much faster.

-Fever Pitch now causes the Hero to take 50% extra damage while active.

-Thunder Sweep, Wrath, Incinerate, and Ride the Lightning now receive bonus damage based on maximum mana.

-Limited the number of possible bounces that Incinerate and Ride the Lightning can achieve when striking Heroes.

-Burn the Dead, in addition to detonating nearby corpses, now summons an allied unit that slows enemies and explodes on death.

-Increased the chance for Coercion to activate when attacking enemy units and added a chance for it to deal extra damage when attacking enemy Heroes.

-Heart Thief awards 40% health and mana, instead of the regular values, when an enemy Hero is killed.

-Intensive Training now instantly awards attributes when an enemy Hero is killed.

-Increased the overall damage output of Firewall, Shards of Winter, War Cry, Whirlwind, Wrath, Pestilence, Quickfire, Spark Pulse, and Wind Armor.

-Decreased the overall damage output of Twitch Bolts, Surge, and Arcanist.

-Adjusted a number of spell cooldowns for the sake of balance across all game modes.

-Removed the walls surrounding the Summoning Beacons on the Battlefield and replaced the raised terrain formerly behind them with trees. Altogether this creates a wider combat space and allows for freer movement.

-Replaced the flying Iron Warbird units on the Battlefield with ground-based Iron Golems.

-Fixed an issue with overlapping Hero choices that could have potentially resulted in a player ending up without a Hero.

-Corrected Gate collision (so that attacking a Gate while appearing "inside" of it is no longer possible).

-Fire Wagons no longer explode on death.

-Increased the overall difficulty of the Final Boss encounters.

3/11/10

-Pulled Hailstone from Spell Shop #2.

-Removed Barb Skin from Spell Shop #3 to make room for some more interesting spells.

-New passive abilities: Arcanist, Cryo-Weapons, Profusion, and Wind Armor. Spell Shop #3 is now fully stocked.

-Intensive Training now adds +1 to your primary attribute for each player in the game, instead of a static +1.

-Fixed an issue where Heart Thief wouldn't proc off of certain spells.

-New level 6 ability for the Vanquisher: Sword Waltz (think D2 style Barbarian Whirlwind).

-Increased the cooldown on Shards of Winter by 4 seconds.

-Significantly increased the damage of Twitch Bolts and Wrath.

-Lowered the attack speed bonus of Fever Pitch from x3 to x2.

-Items now sell for 75% of their store value rather than 50%.

-The Pack Mule recall ability is now functioning properly.

-In order to reduce clutter and improve visibility, Battlefield units are now marginally smaller and have more subtle healing and attack animations.

-Lieutenant Deep (as well as Homunculi) now have slower more powerful regular attacks that cause knockback.

-The enemy Generals on the Battlefield encounter will now only surface when their respective Summoning Beacon AND Lieutenant are both dead. This prevents the possibility of facing an enemy General and their Lieutenant at the same time.

-Each General has had their life extended, their regular attack damage lowered, and been granted a new special ability.

-Each General's Armageddon ability now does double damage. When weakened they will occasionally follow it up by chain-casting slow on nearby players.

-Tired of wailing on those damn Stronghold Gates? Gates can now be damaged by spells in addition to regular attacks. Allied units will also assist with gate destruction when no other threats are present.

-Fire Wagon attacks no longer release exploding untargetable minions, but stationary fires instead.

-The Final Bosses now deal significantly less damage, but players will no longer receive periodic reinforcements from their chosen ally during the fights.

-Completely redesigned the Legion Highlord Boss fight. He now has 6 distinct special attacks: Flame Volley, Minions!, Fire Spawns, Heatwave, and Wall of Flame (as well as a knockback ability). The fight lasts longer and includes more frequent instances of resto runes as well.

-Getting stuck within the Legion Highlord's prisons is no longer possible.

-The Imperium Highlord Boss fight has also been significantly redesigned. His special attacks now include: Tree of Ice, Tree of Fire, Tree of Life, Tree of Death, Black Holes, and Earth Spirits.

-The Imperium Highlord's tree powers are no longer capable of firing after his death.

2/24/10

-Corrected the damage of Marrowstorm, which was temporarily exorbitant.

-Corrected a bug, which occasionally prevented the Beach encounter Boss from exiting his battleship.

-Whirlwind, Firewall, Shards of Winter, and several other spells will now accurately damage Taskmasters and Homunculi.

-Increased the health and spell resistance for Taskmasters in games of 3 and 4 players.

-Adjusted the gold formula, resulting in a large increase for gold accrued in multiplayer games.

-Fixed an issue that prevented the lower row of Factory furnaces from releasing their flames.

-Increased the radius of the General's devastating new spells.

2/23/10

-New spells: Marrowstorm, Shards of Winter, Twitch Bolts, and Wish.

-The spell formerly named 'Shards of Winter' has been renamed 'Hailstone'.

-Renamed 'Rolling Thunder' to 'Sweeping Thunder' and relocated it to Spell Shop #1.

-Renamed 'Skywrath' to 'Wrath' and switched it from targeting units to targeting a point. This ultimately makes the spell more versatile and easier to cast. Additionally, Wrath now has a chance to proc a 'double cast'.

-Removed Scatterwatt and Netherwave from the game. These were basic, less interesting spells, based off of Forked Lightning and Shockwave.

-Removed Corpse Explosion from Spell Shop #2 and reworked it into a passive ability called 'Burn the Dead' which is now selectable from Spell Shop #3.

-Added a new effect to Barb Skin. In addition to increased armor, and returning enemy melee damage, it also has a chance to repel attacking melee units with a knockback effect.

-Widened the Factory encounter area to allow for a little more room to breathe.

-Changed the golems that appeared in multiplayer games into more relevant units that vary based on the encounter location. These units are now called, 'Taskmasters'.

-Added a new devastating spell to each General in the Battlefield encounter. Be careful as you face them.

-Readjusted spawning durations and types of spawns in each Stronghold encounter, which are now more accurately based on the number of active players.

-Calibrated the life of Stronghold gates to be based upon the active number of players.

-Added a new devastating spell to the Iron Legion Highlord boss fight.

-Added a new enemy unit, the 'Fire Wagon' which creates lava spawns at the impact points of its attacks. The lava spawns are untargetable, briefly attack, then self-destruct. Avoid the spawns and destroy the Fire Wagons quickly to survive!

-All Shops in town have been reworked and restocked. New items are available at new prices and in new quantities.

2/10/10

-Fixed an issue that caused the Jungle encounter to spawn golems as allies rather than enemies in multiplayer games.

-Changed the labels on the Hero select screen to better reflect what individualizes each Hero.

-Spawns in the Iron Legion Highlord fight are now based on the number of active players.

2/7/10

-Added a new encounter, The Jungle, which is now 1 of 3 possible first stages (selected at random).

-Added a number of new ability icons, created by Crazyrussian.

-Skywrath no longer damages allies and now features additional spark animations.

-Renamed 'Force of Will' to 'War Cry' and fixed a bug which occasionally prevented War Cry from knocking enemies back as intended.

-Incinerate and Ride the Lightning will now bounce to targets previously hit if no others are available.

-Scaled back the total number of units on the Battlefield encounter and scaled up their life and damage to reduce potential lag when running RTW on less capable computers.

-Fixed a bug which prevented one of the final Boss doors from opening in certain instances.

-Made a number of changes to the Imperium final Boss to increase the difficulty of the fight more accurately based on how many players are left in the game.

2/4/10

-Returned Pestilence to its original non-targetable form.

-Increased the damage of Hailstone, Spew, and Whirlwind.

-Added missing Hero icons for death and pause screens.

-Lengthened each of the two possible final Boss battles.

2/1/10

-Added a map preview image, a new loading screen, and skins for each selectable Hero.

-Corrected a problem with Infected Pandaren and Devil Tamer spell casting animations.

-Further improved allied AI in each of the 2 possible Stronghold encounters.

1/30/2010

-Improved allied AI.

-Corrected timer durations.

-Fixed a problem with an optional final Boss ability.

Check out the official Road to War page here.

Keywords:
RPG, Action RPG, Road to War, RTW, Phantom Tap, PhantomTap.com, Wc3, Custom Map, Boss
Contents

Road to War (Map)

Reviews
17:56, 1st Feb 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 5
Downloading...

EDIT:

The game is awesome cause:

Terrain is great, it suits the game perfectly and has a big variety.
Single player is also nice but it's hard to kill the bosses.
Originality is 4/5. I've seen some maps with boss fights but this one is kinda diferent.
The game is balanced - It's hard but not too hard.
You have given credits to all the people that have helped you somehow.
Tooltips are almost perfect, description too. The aim of the game is simple.
The filesize is good for your map.
Gameplay is great, it doesn't lag. Funfactor is also great, I had a lot of fun when playing.

Overall I think that the game is very nice, simple but still very interesting and has nice efects.
I give you 4/5.

Last edited:
Level 1
Disease

Just asking... in the disease spell are units supposed to be able to attack the disease dummy units? BTW love your game.:thumbs_up:

Level 4
Just uploaded a fresh version of the map with changes made to improve the AI of computer controlled allies in the final areas of the game and make the 2 possible final boss fights a bit more climactic.

@dead-man-walking - Thanks! Hope you like it!

@knight 26 - I'm not sure what The Black Road is, but this is a standalone game. Not part of any series.

@Touy7 - Yes the pestilence clouds are supposed to be attackable, however I've had it both ways. It might seem a little awkward, but it adds extra utility to the spell in that it can distract enemies and absorb a bit of damage on top of spreading disease. Do you think you would like it better if they were untargetable/unattackable?

Level 16
A map whose description speaks for itself. The quality of both presentation and the execution of the map is beautifully done. However, there's a bug (Or Glitch?) on Single Player Mode with "iseedeadpeople" activated on the last stage. However, I think of that as a Glitch (Or Blizzard's Artificial Idiocy's System) for now. Still, even the perfect map can still have some critics or suggestions. So, I rate this 4/5 and give you a +REP because this map really entertained me. Oh, and don't forget a vote for APPROVAL. Keep up with the good work mate. Oh, and add a preview image. It would make the map nicer than now :)

EDIT: Naiz Preview Screen! Shows that this map is intended for people who want to have fun!

Last edited:
Level 4
A map whose description speaks for itself. The quality of both presentation and the execution of the map is beautifully done. However, there's a bug (Or Glitch?) on Single Player Mode with "iseedeadpeople" activated on the last stage. However, I think of that as a Glitch (Or Blizzard's Artificial Idiocy's System) for now. Still, even the perfect map can still have some critics or suggestions. So, I rate this 4/5 and give you a +REP because this map really entertained me. Oh, and don't forget a vote for APPROVAL. Keep up with the good work mate. Oh, and add a preview image. It would make the map nicer than now :)

EDIT: Naiz Preview Screen! Shows that this map is intended for people who want to have fun!

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions! Added a preview screen as you saw, some new skins, and working on debugging the ending.

Level 1
Disease

Well if your going to make the disease attackable could you make it so that its spell immune so that it isn't killable by effects? (e.g. burning oil from that battleship)

BTW just asking you are thinking about adding more spells right? If you are do you mind making a buff that allows the user to attack faster for a set amount of time? (e.g. Bloodlust)

Last edited:
Level 5
Just checking by.

I see you have made progres, keep going.
P.S. Make a change log please and wrap your Credits and Features in hiden tags.

Level 1
Really fun and well-made map. Friends and I played as a group of three. We were pretty impressed... until the fourth boss.

The third and final switch appeared to be bugged/glitched. No matter how many times we stepped on it, how many people stood on it, or how long I patrolled on it, it wouldn't be triggered. We couldn't tell if there was a hidden switch or lever, but we looked around enough for our general buddy to die three or four times over in the flaming hallway. Nope, still nothing and the last doorway remained closed and invulnerable while the floor tile stayed cheerfully glowing.

HOWEVER, we DID manage to kill the boss. One guy managed to blink-strike through the door, and the other guy mirror-imaged himself through. I stood in the room with the last broken switch and threw down infernals as the Demon Tamer.

Still pretty fun, but I wonder if that was a glitched trigger or if we did miss a hidden lever or switch?

Level 4
Just checking by.

I see you have made progres, keep going.
P.S. Make a change log please and wrap your Credits and Features in hiden tags.

Done.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming! :smile:

@Touy7 - After some deliberation Pestilence is now back to being invulnerable and untargetable. I made a self-targeting hero spell similar to bloodlust, as you say, but it is not currently active in the map. I may add it to spell shop #2, but there's some concern over whether or not it will make coercion (chance to temporarily mind control enemies on attack) overpowered.

@Kyle150 - I believe this issue has been fixed.

EDIT: @Wandering.Ai - Sorry you encountered that bug. It was fixed a couple of updates ago, however!

Last edited:
Level 16
First, don't double post. If you accidentally (Or maybe Just Forget To) do a double post, quickly merge it before a mod does (Well, you won't get any penalties except if Rui is the one who sees that).

Second, keep steady updates and bugfixes please!

Third, Off-Topic, but, how's Hellgear doing? Cant wait for it to be done.

Level 4
Second, keep steady updates and bugfixes please!

Third, Off-Topic, but, how's Hellgear doing? Cant wait for it to be done.

Will do. In addition to ironing out remaining bugs I'm considering replayability, length, and the number of spells in Road to War. I'm not sure these are issues, necessarily, but certainly things to consider building upon. I'd love to know what you guys think.

Hellgear is moving along. The terrain is done as well as a majority of the spells. More custom spells will be the focus for awhile, but we're still a ways out from beta. For now I'm primarily concerned with polishing Road to War.

Last edited:
Level 16
Yum yum yum. Downloading new version.

EDIT: Ooookay.. That's strange... I tested with Harbringer and suddenly noticed that Heroes has been buffed (In Terms of Damage). Though doesn't really matter since bosses are also buffed. HOWEVER. The final Boss of Arcanus (The Arcanus Highlord) has been buffed through the roof (if you get what did I mean). His DPH is totally Insane (800s while me on Level 20 stays within 600s). Not to mention that he casts Tree of Life and Tree of Shadows in a quicker rate (Which, actually, make the encounter one of the most annoying encounter I've ever had). My health, which is not far from 2000s, are easily depleted by him. Nerf for both last boss so they match Fully-Leveled players will make the game more enjoyable. They really kills the mood. Also, third stage is kinda rigged (From the First Version). Nerf the spawning time and unit health, if I may suggest.

Oh. One more thing. Harbringer's Ultimate (Bastion) is seemingly bugged. I picked Skywrath as 1st Skill. And, ever since I get the Ultimate, each time I want to cast Skywrath while Bastion is not in Cooldown, Bastion is cast instead of Skywrath. I suggest you to fix this bug ASAP, as the Harbringer is the easiest Hero to be used for Solo.

Last edited:
Level 4
Looking into it.

EDIT: Okay, everything you mentioned should be fixed. The sudden leap in Boss and Player attack damage was caused by mistakenly adjusting the damage given per primary attribute point from 2 to 10, but this has since been corrected. Also, the triggers involved in the Imperium final Boss fight were not correctly checking for the number of active players in the game SO essentially you were getting the 4 player spawns and number of tree casts in a 1 player game. Apologies.

The battlefield and final battles should be back to relative balance, I ran a couple of tests and everything seemed fine. Thanks for bringing the spell overlap to my attention as well, I corrected this and uploaded a newer cleaner version of the map!

Last edited:
Level 4
Well i playd that Map some versions earlier, i give it a 3/5, the concept is nice, but it need rly more improvement(and a bunch of skills), and i dont get it why you give the Characters "classes" when u choose your own skills o_O

and my english isnt the best, hope u understand it, the only thing that i rly dont like is the lack of skills (and u should be able 2 chose the skill that u want after a lvl up ~.~)

Level 4
@dead-man-walking - Great! I hope you like it. My last few tests were the smoothest ever!

@Skyswimsky - The selectable heroes have different types because they have unique level 6 spells that pertain to crowd control, survival, summoning, or subjugation as indicated. Perhaps you didn't play long enough to realize this. Future versions may include level 18 final spells as well, which would fall into these categories and be hero specific.

Spell leveling is automated after customization because the game is so action intensive that you really only pause between encounters. Since you gain several levels during each encounter and never pause people would often forget to place their points, not have time, choose the wrong skill in a rush, or take significant damage while reading the skills they wanted to upgrade. I think it works better this way after having tried both.

@cookies4you -Hope you like it :)

Level 8
Well here is my rating.

3.5/5 Approved but would like to see more done to it before I up the score.

Basically there were 6 classes I believe, all of which didn't really matter. They said they had certain roles but there was nothing to back those roles up. Any of them could be what ever they wanted it seemed like.

Pros:
Enjoyable.
Hard work was put into this.
Triggers don't leak.
Alright spells but could use some better ones.

Cons:
In the level where the guy summons healing wards + lizards it was bugged having the flesh golems on our side
People take spells more useful to other classes for them selves.

Good map hope to see some improvements on it!

Edit: Sorry that it has no colors etc for the review I usually do, just very tired atm. Add some more spells and it should be great. Good luck

Level 5
Off topic but did you really have to write that Mainywc3sear, like this map is supposed to be in directors cut category.

Level 2
Level 5
With every update this gets better and better. The game really deserves to be in Director's Cut category but as they say All in it's time...

Maybe focusing on another boss is going to be nice...nah, we don't need that at the moment, we need more spells, yeah that's going be awesome, and after six months probably every tavern is going to have 11 spells.

Question: Why are all the heroes undead?

Level 4
With every update this gets better and better. The game really deserves to be in Director's Cut category but as they say All in it's time...

Maybe focusing on another boss is going to be nice...nah, we don't need that at the moment, we need more spells, yeah that's going be awesome, and after six months probably every tavern is going to have 11 spells.

Question: Why are all the heroes undead?

Thanks for saying so! A number of spells will be introduced in the next major update since that's what most people seem to be asking for.

As for the undead Heroes... they're really just an aesthetic. In terms of story you could think of them as people, maybe mercs, killed during the early years of the war. They have been brought back as undead and now desire to end the war and all the pain it has caused for them and others. But story takes a backseat to the gameplay for the most part, so like I said, they're undead mostly for flavor.

EDIT: 2/23/10 - Major update released. Check out the changelog for more info.

Last edited:
Level 4
Also, wasn't Shards of Winter is an old spell? Or the new one is different?

True. The former Shards of Winter (a stationary ice orb summon) has been renamed Hailstone. The NEW Shards of Winter is infact a different spell. It is similar in nature to Diablo 2's Frozen Orb. Added that to the changelog.

Just released another update, which balanced a few multiplayer and miscellaneous issues. Be sure to get the new version if you haven't already!

Level 3
Another great and potential map! Simple yet fun and challenging to play, I've beaten the hell out of the last Draenei boss ( one with 4 trees ) last night with only me and my friend; we are going to play this map again tomorrow.

At the first attempt, we chose the orc/draenei side at the stage where there are 2 forces fight each other, then ended up with a FATAL ERROR when we are attacking the summoning beacon; that was before Lieutenant Deep appear. The second times, we chose the mechanical side and survived until the last stage, though we were downed to our last life, we've beaten the game with two people.

I must say that this map is very enjoyable, although it might get chaotic sometimes ( you know, when there are loads of unit and every single one of them is casting spells, if they have one ). A 5/5, but still a little easy I guess.

Level 16
Choosing the Orc's side will make 3rd Stage Easier. While choosing the Draenei's side will make the Final Encounter MUCH MUCH EASIER. Well, it's all about picking the right skills, and not being a DotArd.

Level 5
This ROCKS!!!

The last update was huge, more spells, items and even a new Boss who rocks.
I played the new version with a friend and we won with one live left. :D

Last edited: