• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

River Delta

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Hello!

I have created my first ever 1v1 meelee map! Please help me balance this map! Any observations, remarks and comments are welcome :)

Changelog

Version 1.0
-initial design
Version 2.0
-changes in player's bases location
-exchange locations of merchant with orange creeps near player's bases
Version 2.1
-major changes in pathing in lower side of map
-deleted creep spawns on 2/11 & 5/7 hours locations
-removed free spaces between trees
Version 2.2
-added little kobold so 2 nearest green camps provide lvl2
-moved little dragons closer to fountains and moved trolls on uphill further from middle so they wont wake up while fountain creeps are attacked

No outside resources were used - only original World editor's options.

Enjoy!
Previews
Contents

River_Delta_v2.2 (Map)

Reviews
WolfFarkas
Good things: 1) Starting positions and base layout 2) Amount of neutrals and its distribution 3) I really like the items loot you used. 4) Doodads and enviroment 5) critters for rod of necromancy creeping 6) I like the creeps use. 7) gold set...
mafe
Ok, for a first map it is quite good, but you still make many typical rookie mistakes: -Pathing. Look at this screeshot I have marked an areawith gaps between trees where small units can fit through, but big ones like heroes cant. There's also some...
Level 29
Good things:

1) Starting positions and base layout
2) Amount of neutrals and its distribution
3) I really like the items loot you used.
4) Doodads and enviroment
5) critters for rod of necromancy creeping
6) I like the creeps use.
7) gold set different because different guard level.

Things to improve:

1) Avoid chokepoints, narrow paths, and isolated trees blocking path.
2) Except goldmine creeps, the rest of the creeps should be in camp mode.
3) Some creeps seems to be too near, maybe you can disperse them or remove some if you have to much green creeps.
4) goblin lab area, lower path is narrow, upper path is narrow too and facing the camara limits, I sugest merge them in 1 path wide.
5) Air green creeps are not sugested, because undead cant creep airborne till tier 2 and buy the web item in the shop.
(humans have rifleman, orcs trolls and NE archers in TIER 1).
6) The Murlock (north part) and the tavern seems narrow and messy,
avoid narrow paths so units wont get trapped. I sugest more wide path. 8-10 editor pixel units is the rule I follow for path
7) Some parts are mono-tileset green, maybe you can use more earth or short grass to have more tile variation,
8) avoid gaps between trees, small units can hide.

All in all nice for a first map.

Level 2
Good things:

Thank you for finding atleast something nice in there (:)

Things to improve:

1) Avoid chokepoints, narrow paths, and isolated trees blocking path.
2) Except goldmine creeps, the rest of the creeps should be in camp mode.
3) Some creeps seems to be too near, maybe you can disperse them or remove some if you have to much green creeps.
4) goblin lab area, lower path is narrow, upper path is narrow too and facing the camara limits, I sugest merge them in 1 path wide.
5) Air green creeps are not sugested, because undead cant creep airborne till tier 2 and buy the web item in the shop.
(humans have rifleman, orcs trolls and NE archers in TIER 1).
6) The Murlock (north part) and the tavern seems narrow and messy,
avoid narrow paths so units wont get trapped. I sugest more wide path. 8-10 editor pixel units is the rule I follow for path
7) Some parts are mono-tileset green, maybe you can use more earth or short grass to have more tile variation,
8) avoid gaps between trees, small units can hide.

All in all nice for a first map.

I have been focusing on some stuff and completely forget to make more wider paths etc. I need to trim it :) I find the merchant spot kind of a useless and the Boom temple there .. I think I will merge the 2 paths in bottom etc. and generaly make the roads wider :)
As a begin .. thanks !

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Ok, for a first map it is quite good, but you still make many typical rookie mistakes:
-Pathing. Look at this screeshot
ReiverDelta.png
I have marked an areawith gaps between trees where small units can fit through, but big ones like heroes cant. There's also some unwalkable tile in the water where they probably should not be. Unfortunately I found similar spots all over the map. I have added a few trees to illustrate who you can place trees densely with no gaps: use size 2 and place at most 7 trees at once. It is ok for a "just for fun map"; but if you have the goal of making a map that holds up with current ladder maps, there is no way around making trees dense.
-Maby doodads like the fireplace will make it difficult for melee units to reach creeps.
-Item: You mix many different items unsually, for example, one creep can drop a ring of protection +2 or +3? Also many creeps drop items with different selling values. This makes items even more random than usual.
-Tome of experience at small creeps is also a no-go.
-Unbuildable terrain in front of gold mines?

These are some techinical things which you will learn how to fix if you want to. The good news that the general layout of the map in terms of creep location and pathing looks fine to me.

Some gameplay features which imho are a matter of personal preference, which could be up for discussion:
-The amount of creeps/experience is about twice as much as many 1v1 maps.
-Map is rather large, and the early-to-midgame creeps are clustered in 3 areas (bottom left, top mid, bottom right), which could mean that the players will just keep creeping there and without much interaction.
-Some ramps in the central areas are hard to recognize.
-Iirc every market place has its own item table, which I'm not sure if this makes it better or worse.

Level 2
Ok, for a first map it is quite good, but you still make many typical rookie mistakes:
-Pathing. Look at this screeshot
View attachment 311713
I have marked an areawith gaps between trees where small units can fit through, but big ones like heroes cant. There's also some unwalkable tile in the water where they probably should not be. Unfortunately I found similar spots all over the map. I have added a few trees to illustrate who you can place trees densely with no gaps: use size 2 and place at most 7 trees at once. It is ok for a "just for fun map"; but if you have the goal of making a map that holds up with current ladder maps, there is no way around making trees dense.
-Maby doodads like the fireplace will make it difficult for melee units to reach creeps.
-Item: You mix many different items unsually, for example, one creep can drop a ring of protection +2 or +3? Also many creeps drop items with different selling values. This makes items even more random than usual.
-Tome of experience at small creeps is also a no-go.
-Unbuildable terrain in front of gold mines?

These are some techinical things which you will learn how to fix if you want to. The good news that the general layout of the map in terms of creep location and pathing looks fine to me.

Some gameplay features which imho are a matter of personal preference, which could be up for discussion:
-The amount of creeps/experience is about twice as much as many 1v1 maps.
-Map is rather large, and the early-to-midgame creeps are clustered in 3 areas (bottom left, top mid, bottom right), which could mean that the players will just keep creeping there and without much interaction.
-Some ramps in the central areas are hard to recognize.
-Iirc every market place has its own item table, which I'm not sure if this makes it better or worse.

<3 thank you for the helps :) ye as I am watching the map over and over ... it looks strange and I will have to move some creep spots and change in this way a lot :) will do during tomorrow hopefuly :)

Thank you for the help!