• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ring of Fire

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

Ring of Fire
Created by normalice

Map Info:
A symmetric map designed primarily for 4-player FFA, but (probably) works for 2v2 as well. Might be a bit big for 1v1.

Neutral Buildings:
-Starting gold mines (4) have 14k gold each.
-Expansion mines (16) have 7k gold each.
-One Tavern (middle)
-Two goblin shops (north-south middle)
-Two goblin observatories (east-west middle)
-Four fountains of health (counter clockwise from starting locations).
-Four marketplaces (clockwise from starting locations).

Creeps:
-8 Red camps (plus four at starting locations) at perimeter expansions.
-16 Orange camps guarding all neutral buildings and some floaters on the perimeter
-8 green camps guarding inner expansions.

Drops:
-Closest natural expansion creeps drop a level 1 permanent item. This is because they are easy creeps guarding something just about everyone is going to get, so this drop is the least useful.
-Innermost natural expansion creeps drop a level 1 power up. A slight increase in item quality over the outer natural expansion drops, as the creeps are slightly more difficult and the location is slightly less appealing.
-Observatory creeps drop a level 2 permanent item. Observatories are critical in an FFA game, so the drop reward is minimized, only perhaps slightly less useful than the creep difficulty would demand.
-Shop creeps drop a level 3 charged item. While useful, such items are only useful once. However, the shop is also a useful neutral building, so, again, clearing the creeps is its own reward.
-Fountain creeps drop a level 4 charged item. This matches creep difficulty and results in items that fit the purpose of the fountain anyway.
-Market creeps drop a level 4 permanent item. These are useful items for all, and obtaining them adds them to the pool of items available to the market.
-Starting location creeps drop a level 6 permanent item. Again, this is not really suited for a 1v1, but in such a case, the level 6 permanent items are as important as getting an expansion up in the unused starting location. Dragons guard them, however, so a fast expansion is not possible.
-The perimeter orange creep camps drop a level 5 permanent item. This is a bit too good of an item for their difficulty, but they require a zeppelin to reach them. The item is made 'too good' to encourage people to get a zeppelin.
-The perimeter gold mine guards clockwise from the starting locations drop a level 5 charged item, and the gold mine guards counter clockwise drop a level 6 charged item. The counter clockwise creeps are slightly more difficult. The use of charged items instead of permanent gets them into the market for single use. There is a lot of gold out there, so burning through market purchases is intended to be a major factor of this map, and charged items are the best way to do that.

Screenshots:
Coming Soon...

Other work:
Pack
Contents

Ring of Fire (Map)

Reviews
23:06, 4th Apr 2016 Shadow Fury: Needs fix until you update.
Level 26
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Review
Map Score
Gameplay:22 / 30
Aesthetics:8 / 20
Total:30 / 50

Rating Chart
45-505/5 Highly Recommended
35-444/5 Recommended
25-343/5 Useful
15-242/5 Lacking
0-141/5 Unacceptable

mapdev.gif
Gameplay
It seems like the creator have been putting a lot of thought in his/hers melee maps, and have a lot of experience working with them. His pack proves this, and this map only strengthen my theory.

The initial bases are positioned on top of an elated cliff, offering the possibility to build a very strong fortress, which is a fun feature. Judging by his explaination in the description considering creep drops, the creator has put a lot of energy in making them just right for the game.
The gold expansions all contain 7000 gold which means you'll have to move around a lot in order to recieve maximum resources.
There are four really risky gold expansions close to the middle of the map, which offers little cover. Perhaps you should offer a better reward for those mines (larger containment of gold) as they include a lot of risk building a base there.
Half of the gold mine expansions is outside the main island, and require the player to fetch a goblin zeppelin from the center of the map in order to get there. Since the outer ring of the map is entirely connected by land, this creates a secondry battlefield.

terrianforum.gif
Aesthetics
I do not understand the name of this map. It has nothing to do with fire, except for the dragons... Which doesn't even breath fire, but lightning. Perhaps the hot and hectic situtaion...?

There are really large open and vacant areas allowing for grand army clashes, but backfires by making the terrain look bleak and uninteresting. Perhaps this could be fixed with more tile variation, but unfortuantely I doubt that. However, the terrain is not the most important aspect of a melee map.

triggersandscriptsforum.gif
Bugs
Being a melee map, there are no bugs.

updatesandnewsforum.gif
Summary
This map is clearly made by a good melee map maker, as many melee aspects have been considered and worked on. It is good in aspects of strategy, but could use some work aesthetically.

Rating set to 3/5 and vote for approval.

Level 21
I took a look at the map, and I agree with the points Rufus raised. However, I need to have a say on creep camps and item drops. Generally, they were too underpowered. Let's take for example the hydras creep camps:
Summed level = 24
Item Dropped = Level 6
Uhm, pretty skimpy.
Same thing for the rest of the powerful creep camps.
Increase the level of the item drops, or add more item drops. This will help to balance things out. Once you did this, approval will follow.