• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Resource Release] Archimonde Unit Sound Set v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
My Archimonde voices for the in-game Warcraft III unit are based only on his Warcraft 3 voice lines. Zenonoth already made a set based on his WoW lines, but many players expressed a preference for his more subdued Warcraft III style, a preference I share. I know there have been other attempts over the years but couldn't find them, but I could find references to their creators being disappointed with the results. I'm pleased with my results. Given the limited material there is to work with I had to be clever (many of his lines have distorted filtering & are thus unsuitable), I now think this is about as good as I can get it, after a few rounds of refinements. I might release another version if there is substantial interest and recommendations.

Feature video

Dropbox Download Link for non-profit use in Warcraft III, Warcraft Reforged and other Blizzard games only.

I'm no audio expert, this is an amateur job, but given the wide range of applications I wanted to release this for others to use, just credit me. I made this for my own personal enjoyment and a map I made, the only Warcraft III map and soundset I'll ever release. Though I did make a fun but amateur offshoot of Illidan's 11 Elementals (Godlike) many years ago.

My folders and file choices are based on the Gyrocopter because it has the most dialogue, that is what I based the folders and number of lines off. But you can use any of the sound files for any unit, typically unused heroes like Rokhan and Akama are good candidates. The grunt also works well, and creeps. I couldn't determine a way to create a new voice set, only replace lines for an existing one. If you don’t like a sound file, you can replace a unit with fewer total lines to leave out the ones you don’t like, or use lines you do like multiple times. The Spare folder contains lines that didn’t make the cut.

As best I can tell my resource is compliant with Hive’s rules. I wrote a simple readme and terms of use. As I understand it, I only need to make clear it’s not for profit and only authorized for use in Warcraft III or other Blizzard games. Let me know if I need more.

Level 21
You did a great job, even though you had limited material. :wthumbsup:
the only Warcraft III map and soundset I'll ever release.
That's a bummer; I think we really need more sound sets, but no one is willing to make them.:wsad:

Medivh also doesn't have a sound set even though he has a lot of lines of dialogue in in the campaign cinematics. He's not the only one, though. Many units in the Object Editor have fake sound sets; Dr. Cheis made a list of them in this thread:
Medivh
HumanMage
GrainWarehouse
HealingWard
SentryWard
StasisTotem
FountainOfLifeDefiled
FountainOfLifeBlood
PlagueCloud
BookOfSummoning
DemonGate
Frostmourne
GranaryInfected
Warlock
owl
HornOfCenarius
GoblinLandMine
CentaurTent
ForestTrollHut0
ForestTrollHut1
FurbolgHut
GnollHut
HarpyNest
IceTrollHut0
IceTrollHut1
MurlocHut0
MurlocHut1
NerubianZiggurat
TaurenTent
TaurenTent2
Tent
ChaosSpaceOrc
Zergling
CircleOfPower
CityBuilding0
CityBuilding1
CityBuildinga
CityBuildingb
CityBuildingc
CityBuildingd
CityBuildinge
CityBuildingf
CityBuilding2
CityBuilding3
CityBuilding4
CityBuilding5
CityBuilding6
CityBuilding7
CityBuilding8
CityBuilding9

Also, it would be nice if someone could make complete sound sets for Sylvanas (elf not undead) and villagers (Men, Women and Children); the current ones have only a few lines, which means they can only be used as Neutral Passive units, like critters, not as regular units.

Moreover, there are creeps that have a couple of lines of dialogue in the campaign, but their sound sets are just various unintelligible growls/rumbles/gurgles/squawks: Centaur, Doom Guard, Dragons, Furbolg, Wraith, Gnoll, Harpy, Murloc, Revenant, Wildkin.

In my opinion, some of them definitely seem intelligent enough to be able to speak, especially Doom Guards.
I couldn't determine a way to create a new voice set, only replace lines for an existing one.
Yes, some imported SLK files are unfortunately ignored by the game, but not all of them; this means we can make custom ubersplats, footprints and lightning effects, but not custom sound events or sound sets.

However, as Dr. Cheis mentioned in the thread I linked above, there is one way to make an entirely new sound set; replacing the HeroRanger sound set (that was used in the beta by a former human hero). This sound set is unused and empty, since the files referenced in the UnitAckSounds.slk don't exist in the MPQ archive.
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerWhat1.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerWhat2.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerWhat3.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerWhat4.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerWhat5.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerPissed1.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerPissed2.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerPissed3.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerPissed4.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerPissed5.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerPissed6.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerYesAttack1.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerYesAttack2.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerYesAttack3.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerYes1.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerYes2.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerYes3.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerYes4.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerYes5.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerYes6.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerReady1.wav
Units\Human\HeroRanger\HeroRangerWarcry1.wav

Last edited:
Level 4
Edit after some investigation: I think Warcraft III can still only import .wav files for replacements. I wanted them to stay in a format where they could be imported immediately without sacrificing any quality, since modders can only work with what's there. It's already mono, and reducing the bitrate immediately had a discernable impact on quality. I've concluded it makes sense to leave the files as is, modders can always compress as needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.