• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reset Editor Registry

This is a simple utility bat file that cleans up the editor registry so user can open their old editors after accidentally uses the newer ones. Most notable when switching from 1.32 to 1.31, or 1.32 to pre-1.31, or 1.31 to pre-1.31.

The bat file can be inspected if people care about potential viruses lingering within the file. It's just simple commands to clean up the registry, which one can do manually, but I think this is useful for those who are not really tech geeks.

I hope it is of use. Do not re-upload the files at other places. If you want to share it, link to this page instead so I can maintain and provide assistance.

CHANGELOG:
V1.1:
  • The following keys have been added automatically for comfort: "Has Been Run" (skips the first load), "Allow Local Files" (enables the local files feature), and "Minimap" keys (there are three of them).
  • The key addition from the previous point can be canceled by closing the program when the program asks if you want to add those keys.
  • Added a text to show that I truly am the one who wrote this short BAT script *sigh* guess this do?
V1.0:
  • Released
Contents

Reset Editor Registry (Binary)

Reviews
eejin
Simple, but useful to point people to when they want to use the older editor. One remark is that the download is double zipped so you have to unpack twice. Would be nice if that was fixed.
This is quite easily doable without the use of a bat file, and doesn't take a long time to do. Maybe you can improve it a bit by for example creating new Warcraft III entries with Dword 32 value "Allow Local Files" set to 1 so people don't have to restart their Warcraft 1.31 (or lower) every time they want to switch between editors.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure you will have to delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III" when you switch between editors, I see that you don't do that with this bat file.

This is quite easily doable without the use of a bat file, and doesn't take a long time to do. Maybe you can improve it a bit by for example creating new Warcraft III entries with Dword 32 value "Allow Local Files" set to 1 so people don't have to restart their Warcraft 1.31 (or lower) every time they want to switch between editors.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure you will have to delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III" when you switch between editors, I see that you don't do that with this bat file.
Well yes, I mean if people know regedit, this is a cake :D
I'm just lazy, that's all :p

Forgot about that local files stuff. I'm adding that along with automatically setting the Has Been Run to 1 for a faster first run after BAT is used.

As for the Warcraft III HKCU, it doesn't need to be removed when changing editor versions. So far, from my tests, I have yet to need to deal with that (I always just go delete World Editor keys and that's it). I even test the "test map" button which corresponds to WCIII the most and it seems to function properly, at least from my tests.

Now, give me time to update this ...

EDIT: DONE!

Last edited:
V1.1:
  • The following keys have been added automatically for comfort: "Has Been Run" (skips the first load), "Allow Local Files" (enables the local files feature), and "Minimap" keys (there are three of them).
  • The key addition from the previous point can be canceled by closing the program when the program asks if you want to add those keys.
  • Added a text to show that I truly am the one who wrote this short BAT script sigh guess this do?

As for the Warcraft III HKCU, it doesn't need to be removed when changing editor versions. So far, from my tests, I have yet to need to deal with that (I always just go delete World Editor keys and that's it). I even test the "test map" button which corresponds to WCIII the most and it seems to function properly, at least from my tests.
Hmm just tested and apparently this is unnecessary yeah. I change back and forth quite frequently but have never bothered to test if only deleting the world editor entry works lol.

Hmm just tested and apparently this is unnecessary yeah. I change back and forth quite frequently but have never bothered to test if only deleting the world editor entry works lol.

Still, it encourages me to check the other way around. So yeah, I'm glad you raised such points ^^

Level 28
Technically, for me, the World Editor 1.29 is still functionable despite I have two copies of W3 (1.29 and 1.31).
I really need this tool for using 1.31's World Editor, but I'm still doubt that 1.29's WE is broken upon switching back and forth (Couldn't load War3.mpq).

Technically, for me, the World Editor 1.29 is still functionable despite I have two copies of W3 (1.29 and 1.31).
I really need this tool for using 1.31's World Editor, but I'm still doubt that 1.29's WE is broken upon switching back and forth (Couldn't load War3.mpq).
As far as testing goes, no test has caused any corruption with the war3.mpq, but I might be wrong.

In WorldEdit there is a 'Trigger Display Colors' subfolder. If you remove every entry from WorldEdit but leave this folder intact then you only need to change your preferences which is ok since there are like 5 checkboxes you need to tick. Trigger Display Colors keeps the information about what color should be attributed to each type of trigger (Unit, Game, Player, Animation etc.) and removing it means needing to change every single color again.

In WorldEdit there is a 'Trigger Display Colors' subfolder. If you remove every entry from WorldEdit but leave this folder intact then you only need to change your preferences which is ok since there are like 5 checkboxes you need to tick. Trigger Display Colors keeps the information about what color should be attributed to each type of trigger (Unit, Game, Player, Animation etc.) and removing it means needing to change every single color again.
I will try to add support for preserving this additional information.

Level 17
The only key that actually prevents pre-1.32 World editors from starting is "Tool Windows". Zero other keys have to be changed for that.
For the game itself the situation is a bit different: The user data directory has to follow an outdated format only in 1.28 and only in 1.26 would you need to reset some graphics adapter settings.

Allowing local files is a nice addition though.
If "reg" doesn't have a simple way to only delete one key, I'd instead recommend replacing this script with a reg file with this content:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III]
"Allow Local Files"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit]
"Tool Windows"=-

The only key that actually prevents pre-1.32 World editors from starting is "Tool Windows". Zero other keys have to be changed for that.
For the game itself the situation is a bit different: The user data directory has to follow an outdated format only in 1.28 and only in 1.26 would you need to reset some graphics adapter settings.

Allowing local files is a nice addition though.
If "reg" doesn't have a simple way to only delete one key, I'd instead recommend replacing this script with a reg file with this content:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III]
"Allow Local Files"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit]
"Tool Windows"=-
I think REG can delete subkeys as needed. I will make adjustments to this new information. As for pre-1.31 cannot be opened after using 1.31, what's up with that?

Level 17
I've never had pre-1.31 fail to open before while 1.31 could, so it could be one of the setings I've not messed with enough to cause incompatibility, if anyone encountering that issue could export their WorldEdit folder as a .reg that might be useful to narrow down to a single or a couple of keys

Simple, but useful to point people to when they want to use the older editor. One remark is that the download is double zipped so you have to unpack twice. Would be nice if that was fixed.
Hive does not allow .bat files, so I think that's something beyond my ability.