• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Requesting Inspiration - Realistic Unit Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
Hello and thank you for reading my thread!

In a map I am working on you fight as a hero killing minions. I'd love to add a more gore-ish effect to the death of the minions in my map and so I'm here looking for inspiration.

Now, I created this thread because some of you might have some insight to share with me on the subject.

What I am looking for is first of all some good looking gore-special-effects. Do you know of any good ones? Please post them, it would totally make my day!

Perhaps you've played a map that had very cool death animations with blood splattering and such? Please link me them, I would really appreciate it!

Maybe you even know of some sort of physics system that can be applied to deaths, perhaps it could be used to move "Blood Effect" dummies moving at X speed towards Y point depending on the amount of damage that killed the minion? This would definitely be of interest to me :)

Thank you for reading through my thread, please don't hesitate to leave me a comment with some inspiration I can use for my system!

+4 rep to all helpers
Thank you have a nice day :)

Level 8
There are plenty maps with gore effect on death. Some are very satisfying.

Right now i can think of this one: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/toy-soldiers-v1-56.96367/
To trigger it, the unit has to die in extreme conditions, like an air barrage to the face.
This author also inserts the gorish death in a bigger system, as units can be revived (morphine ability), but "exploded" units can't be revived, maybe because the puree can't wield a gun.
I think that the trigger aspect is as you pointed it out: as the unit dies, it's removed/hided, and then dummy missiles (with a suitable model, like 1 torso, 1 head, or just lots of bloodied bones, like in this case) fly in an arcing trajectory. The meatwagon attack missile should be great to start from scratch. This would need a not very performance consuming missile system. Maybe you can just create the corpse explosion model entirely as special effect.

Another catch would be the thing that does the TCX map (not sure about the name, if it's not in the hive, it can be in another site). In this case, as you "die", you will leave a corpse that its attackable and susceptible to damage (this would be a dying-system). Should that corpse takes sufficient damage, it explodes in dramatic fashion (could be just a very flashy blood effect).
In my opinion the attackable corpses capture the "gore phylosophy" of unnecessary cruelty.

That comes into my mind for now.

I'm no native english speaker, so apologize in the gramatic regard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.