• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Hi all, so I've recently made the decision (after 5 years) to come back into WC3 map making (Cinematics/Terraining) - however I am lacking with Inspiration and Ideas, granted its only been 1 day if that, but I am looking into starting a new project, something that can distract me and hopefully, something that will turn into a beautiful piece of work.

I was wondering what people do for inspiration? While I have ideas in my head and themes etc, I cannot compile something together and come up with something which I feel people will enjoy.

Please let me know what everyone else does to gather their inspiration.

Regards,
Lloyd

Level 19
Inspiration is a fickle thing

The best advise I can give you is to never stop researching, writing down notes and listening to music. I find I'm only keen to write/program/whatever when I've researched the noodles out of the topic, that over enthusiasm makes my ambitions a burning desire that simply must be quenched by progress

Level 25
Music, movies, games, books showering, moments before sleep, thinking about the project and cool ideas to make..
All help in giving me inspiration.

That gives me some time to map until I run out of it and then I have to wait a few days and then I can continue mapping again.

"which I feel people will enjoy."
Don't bother making stuff for people, make stuff that you will enjoy and people will enjoy it.

Level 28
You don't need to rely on someone specific for inspiration. Also, frequently when I play a game I find myself thinking "this is cool, but it would be cooler if it had other mechanic/theme/scenario/whatever". Did you ever think this about some game in your life? That's a very easy source of inspiration to start working on something.

Reactions: pyf
Level 35
I draw a lot of inspiration whenever I tell a story either in writing or via videogames from real life events.

>There are stories everyday that deserve their own books, so it's quite easy to draw a general storyline from news articles.
>Famous people (mostly politicians are whom I follow) are charicatures on their own with very distinct character traits.
>Books are the best at teaching you how to tell any story. Videogames can be inspiring with their feeling and environment, but not much else. I consider movies and TV series of absolute zero value when it comes to either telling a story or inspiring you to tell a story.
>Music (mostly hybrid orchestral music) can keep you focused when you're doing something creative.

Saying this as a journalist and writer.

Level 30
Make time to be creative. This means pick any one moment of your day and dedicate it to your art. No facebook, no texting, no buzzfeed. You have to focus if you want to make it happen. Don't force yourself while brainstorming, but allow ideas to come in without distraction. If they don't, there is always tomorrow. If you cannot come up with anything, you're still putting in time and you are going to improve. Try to make time for your art every day.

Your brain needs to be well rested to be creative and to function properly. That means you cannot strain your brain in the same regions 24/7. Getting enough rest, doing sports, gardening, cooking, meditation or anything else that allows your brain to zone out, is a great way to rest. There has to be balance, and you'll know when there is no balance if you can't come up with cool ideas. I used to do long drawn out music sessions, go home read books, play chess, practice instruments and get frustrated with my own art (composition).
It's going better by just implementing more sports, more social events, and basically accepting that you're only human. Social media and the internet are things that really distract your brain and kill your cognitive and creative efficiency.

Saying this as a journalist, writer, musician, composer, songwriter, entrepreneur, painter, film director, sound engineer, photographer, civil engineer, president of the united states.

Level 18
"journalist, writer, musician, composer, songwriter, entrepreneur, painter, film director, sound engineer, photographer, civil engineer, president of the united states." - Hahaha this made me laugh.

-I have recently found some inspiration (through the new Jungle Book film, which is surprisingly good) started working on a few things, already made a few terrains which I am happy with. Going to start drafting up the map & plot tomorrow for a new Cinematic series, which will be focused more on good content rather than my old stuff which was just full of SFX and mad fighting, new stuff will be based around a good plot/story and twists (mind F*** stuff).

Thanks to everyone though who has replied and given their views. Just hard to get back into things when so much has changed lol, lots of people who I used to know aren't here anymore, its sad.

Level 28
I draw a lot of inspiration whenever I tell a story either in writing or via videogames from real life events.

>There are stories everyday that deserve their own books, so it's quite easy to draw a general storyline from news articles.
>Famous people (mostly politicians are whom I follow) are charicatures on their own with very distinct character traits.

Well that's the first time I hear someone treat real life events like... literature. May be an interesting idea.

Your brain needs to be well rested to be creative and to function properly.

Strangely enough, I draw most inspiration and general will to do creative stuff whenever I'm exhausted and very busy with (non-creative) work. However sometimes when I decided to chill out and dedicate a specific time to create any kind of original content fom ground zero (be it text, music, images or even WCIII maps), it proved to be inefficient and I had that "writer's block". But that's just a personal thing I guess.

Level 10
Well, i find a lot of Inspiration while playing roguelikes (because they somehow get very different mechanics to work perfectly together) and d&d with couple of friends or just by reading the books. But i'm more in the triggering/map making department, so thats probably not the best help.

for inspirationn in General, it depends on the System you are using. For the common Approach, the defocussing (aka "i leave the Problem alone till the answer comes spontanious) i found a walk in the park to be the best method.

Status
Not open for further replies.