• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Request: Grid Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hi,

I've tried to use Grid Model but this model have an issue rendering in-game:
WC3ScrnShot_111819_230341_01.png WC3ScrnShot_111819_230349_02.png

Certain camera angles will cause the model to cut off in strange ways.

It's possible there's an easy solution for this?

If not, I'd like to request a new custom model of a white squared grid, preferably in a set of 4. Each square must be the same size as the pathing texture "PathTextures\4x4SimpleSolid.tga" (Watch Tower building).

Thanks!

Level 19
Can you just use an actual tile with a grid on it? I made a couple a while back.
Thanks for the suggestion,

I'd very much prefer having a model so I can freely adjust the transparency so I can have different "levels" of grid visibility.

Also, unless the tile is a modified version of the "Cityscape -> Grass Trim" texture, it will look out of place in-game as it's for a Tower Defense where the lanes uses this tile texture as the build area.

Level 19
@lolreported

Try this. I lifted it up the ground a bit and calculated its extent. Uses the same textures as the original grid model.
I tried it out, but unfortunately I can't see any difference from the original model. The lines still gets cut off at certain camera height and angles.

Thanks for trying!

I can't get the model to load in the editor. Just gives me the usual failed to load error.
You need the textures from the original model linked in the main post.

It will still disappear when you pull back the camera way too far from the model because the model is glitching with the terrain, the only way to fix this is to raise the model much higher than the original Z position. This can be done easily with MDLVIS, select all nodes/triangles, click the hand button at the palette and adjust the Z position.

Level 21
It will still disappear when you pull back the camera way too far from the model because the model is glitching with the terrain, the only way to fix this is to raise the model much higher than the original Z position. This can be done easily with MDLVIS, select all nodes/triangles, click the hand button at the palette and adjust the Z position.
The same thing happens when you raise the model, so I don't think Z-fighting is the problem in this case. I think this might be caused by the mipmaps of the texture, or the grid lines being too thin.

Ah right, the solution for that (if you're using an NVIDIA graphics card) is to override the current filtering of the editor/game. Right click to your desktop and open NVIDIA Control Panel, adjust the application individually by browsing the world editor.exe file, max the anisotropic filtering (you may need to max the texture filtering as well) then hit Apply. I've been using this technique when I capture scenic terrains to not lose the details/quality of the far objects so I'm pretty sure this will work.

upload_2019-12-3_17-41-23.png

However this will only work in your desktop (and this solution is for NVIDIA users only, I haven't tested it in AMD yet), the model will still disappear to those who don't have idea how to override the graphics settings of the editor/game. Blizzard probably adjusted this filtering in Reforged, I have not tried it yet.

(Just ask the model author to make the lines thicker, my solution will not for everyone).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.