• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Regarding Today's Server Downtimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Today the server's been down twice. The first time was because of a vbulletin mod being uninstalled which removed everything called Language = vbulletin error.
The second downtime was because of a tiny DoS attack on the server.. Thank you, whoever likes to ruin the fun for everybody else.

I just felt I wanted to tell you why these things happen.

Ralle

You think we should make members dl only? Or is that abit cruel?

There's nothing cruel in that, but the site would end up having an immense amount of members who have registered only to gain access to the resources.
Those people will most likely give no comments or post any messages and their postcount would be about 0.

So members dl only would be a bad mistake, at least in my opinion.

Level 15
Why would you want to download the same resource more than once an hour?

-*meow*
Well, if someone tries to download the file and accidentally cancels it (or their connection dies) it would be nice for them to be able to have another try.

Also, some browsers will open multiple connections to the site. With only 1 download per hour, this won't help at all and things may not download very smoothly for them.

The best solution is along the lines of what GST_Nemesis, Teh_Ephy, and Shados suggested: Limit the number of downloads (and the number of simultaneous connections) for each IP address over a set time period. 1 download per hour is a bit too stringent. 100 downloads per hour is very generous, but would still keep the pests (that are doing much more than that) away.

Just some observations... :smile:

Level 32
You think we should make members dl only? Or is that abit cruel?

There's nothing cruel in that, but the site would end up having an immense amount of members who have registered only to gain access to the resources.
Those people will most likely give no comments or post any messages and their postcount would be about 0.

So members dl only would be a bad mistake, at least in my opinion.
I tend to agree: our resources should be available to the general public without any preconditions.

The best solution is along the lines of what GST_Nemesis, Teh_Ephy, and Shados suggested: Limit the number of downloads (and the number of simultaneous connections) for each IP address over a set time period. 1 download per hour is a bit too stringent. 100 downloads per hour is very generous, but would still keep the pests (that are doing much more than that) away.
Also agreed and seconded: our best web programers (gee I wonder just who THEY might be!) are currently brainstorming the problem and looking into possible solutions.

Level 24
OMG idea theft from another site, anyways:
Guests use download points (on the other site, users have them and guests can't DL at all, but registration is easy/free). Make a map's point cost related to its size, and have them recharge every day. i don't know about how storing each guest's DL points would work, but it would DEFINITELY make people think about what they want to DL.

Members should also use DL points, but the amount they recharge to should be affected by reputation and post count.

Good idea yes/no?

Status
Not open for further replies.