• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Regarding the 'Channel' ability's order string.

Level 27
Stupid question, but for the Channel ability, what is the difference between the Order String - Use/Turn On and the Data - Base Order ID?

Level 25
I haven't tested that, but I think only the Data - Base Order ID has any impact.
  • Data - Base Order ID: sets the order id of the ability when cast/ordered
  • Order String - Turn On/Off: enables/disables auto-casting. Since Channel is not auto-casted, then I don't think it does anything
  • Order String - Use: don't know

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
The Order String stuff is really only there as a reference and changing it should have no effect (so why can we change it? I don't know).

Base Order ID let's you change the Order that the ability uses which is pretty powerful. With this you could create 100 abilities based on Channel, give them each a unique order id, and then add all of these abilities to a single unit, and that unit will be able to cast any of these abilities without any issues.

What issues you might ask? As you may already know if your unit has 2+ abilities with the same Order Id then it will struggle to cast the correct one as you are basically telling it to do 2+ things at once which is impossible.

A few other abilities have this Base Order Id option as well such as Charge Gold and Lumber and I believe Spellbook.

Last edited:

Antares

Spell Reviewer
Level 22
It is important to note that if the ability of the Base Order ID has a different targeting type than the Channel ability you're creating, it can lead to problems. For example, if you make a Channel ability with Target Type "unit", you should not use "thunderclap" as the Base Order ID, because it has no target.

Level 27
If I set the Base Order ID, will the A.I know how to use it?

For example, a Computer player will automatically use Inner Fire in combat. If I set the Base Order ID of an ability based on Channel to "innerfire", will it try to use the ability the same way?

Antares

Spell Reviewer
Level 22
Yes, the base order ID impacts how the AI will use it. I ran into the opposite problem, where the AI was using spells when I didn't want it to, and changing the base order ID fixed that.
I have been told this is not correct. I based this only on my own testing, but I may have messed up somewhere.

Level 27
I've run a few tests myself, and I think it's fair to say that the results are also quite inconsistent.

I'll mark this as Solved and to leave Channel for another day. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.