• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Red Planet TD

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A 2v2 Tower defense team 1 builds towers team 2 sends the creeps dont think it's boring to be team 2 because you have to earn money for creeps to send.

Keywords:
TD,tower,defense,demon,
Contents

Red Planet TD (Map)

Reviews
17:19, 12th Nov 2009 ap0calypse: Rejected (until updated)

M

17:19, 12th Nov 2009
ap0calypse: Rejected (until updated)

Level 17
Here is a small 1v1 based review for you. Don't feel offended by anything inside.
I'm strict and a bitch when reviewing, it's all intended to improve your map. =)

Oh, and a side note: It's a good try for a beginner. I'm actually impressed by how good this map is for a beginner. (But still for public use you need a lot more then this.)

Visuals

Well about the terrain.... It's a tower defense and they don't need stunning terrains.
I don't understand why the part below has heroes for the 'senders'.
But that part of the terrain is very basic.

As a side note, this is not all about terrain. Those tooltips: they suck.
Pre-make them in word and try to add color codes to make them look better.

Bad:
Footman

Is a melee soldier that can fight. Heath 100 Speed 200 Mana 390 Damage 120-140

Good:
Footman

Description:
Is a melee soldier that can fight.

Stats:
Health: 100
Speed: 200
Mana: 390
Damage: 120 - 140

You can just copy this text and paste it into the unit description and it'll work. For information on color codes go to the tool section, it has programs that make them for you.

Your visual score: 3/10
[TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/td]

Gameplay

Weird and bad, no offense but there are some real issues.

First it's unbalanced, did you balance this map in public before you played it? Cause I'm sure you did not.
The units you can send are much stronger then those towers can take.

Second, only 2 builders and 2 senders? That's not enough players for this map to be good.
I suggest using 6+ players and have all players build towers and send units as that's easier for you to balance and more fun.
And yes, only building or only sending are both somewhat boring in this map.

Third, while somewhat unique it's not really working for you to have a hero that needs to kill critters for money.
My suggestion for this is to have units you create give you income. This is very basic triggering. If you can't do that consult the trigger section and tutorials. (But seeing your triggers you should be able.)

Fourth, while it's more personal for me. I don't like a full co-up. Make a lane for each player and see who can last long enough.
While this does reduce originality, it increases the overall fun of this map. Besides you can't have a full co-up if you want senders.

Your gameplay score: 2/10
[TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/td]

Triggers

Oke, you did not protect your map so I took a look at your triggers. (Don't worry I did not change anything.)

I can see you are a beginner and I'm happy to see more people modding.
But I'm going to be honest and strict (reviews don't do you anything good if they don't tell you what's wrong).

Public maps should have no leaks. And your map has them.
So learn how to clean them, better do it now when you are still new to the triggers.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-scripts-269/things-leak-35124/

Overal that's all about triggers. Look up what leaks are and learn more about triggers. It's hard so don't feel bad about me rating your triggers bad.
Learn and improve is what I always say (well at least now).

Your trigger score: 2/10
[TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/td]

Conclusion

Oke first off all, I'm a bitch when rating maps. I'm very strict so don't feel bad. Don't be scared, I'm just trying to make you a better mapper so you're maps can shine among the good maps.
I think you can make this map much better if you just fix a few things. (Just a bit more work.)

Oh, and this is one of your first maps right? While not being a good map looking at averige mappers. It's a very good start for beginners (In fact I'm impressed.) you have a lot of potential if you keep learning.
So once more, keep improving and keep making. It's the way to go.

Anyway, here is a small list I would like to see improved about your map. I'm sure that if you want it, you can do it. Because aside from the leaks, it should all be within your skill level.
These are more guidelines though, not demands or anything.
It's your map, you do with it whatever you want. But currently your map needs a lot of changing and the below things considering gameplay are by far the most used (because they are easier to balance and overal more fun).

Your to do list:
[TD]
[TD][/TD]

- Make it compatible with at least 6 players that all have to defend something. If you want people to send creeps it's better to all have their own citadel and they all need to protect it.
- Remove those protectors at the Citadel, when you leak you should be punished. Just giving a small attack to the building is enough to deal with minor leaks.
- Remove the heroes, it's a bad way for income as it is now. It's better to make income triggers (when you send a unit they get extra income and every 20 sec they get income, whatever.) Either that or bring it back to the drawing board and come up with something more balanced.
- Improve those tool tips by writing them in word, try to learn color codes. Just don't overuse them. You can copy paste them in your ap and it'll look much better.
- Try to remove the leaks, it's hard for beginners I know. But it's vital to mapmaking.
[td][/td]
What I liked:

- You tried to make a more unique income system with heroes, while it might sound good on paper it just does not work in this game.
I suggested what you could change to make it better balance and more fun for most people. You can of course ignore that and flesh out your hero income system more.
Because I really liked that unique part, just make it more fun/balanced and good looking. It's to basic for now.
[TD][/TD] [td][/td]
[/td]

I wish you the best of luck with your map.
~ Airandius