• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reclamation: An RPG-like Zombie Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Context: You wake up in the middle of the night to shaking and strange, loud noises accompanied by gunfire. It's probably just some redneck firing his rifle for fun. However, you have an eerie feeling that something is terribly wrong. You heard about a domestic dispute on the news right before you decided that you'd heard enough bad stories for the day and that you'd go to sleep. That can't have anything to do with this, can it?

So, you get out of bed and see what's going on. You're afraid to open the door, but muster up enough strength to do so. Hordes. Hordes of walking rotten flesh, zombies as they were known in popular culture, are right outside your door. The attempts by the SWAT to contain them are futile. Government agents called in on an armored personnel carrier provide assistance. There's something wrong about them though... they are abducting others and throwing them into their vehicle. It appears there are not many left to trust.

What could possibly be going on? Dead people chasing down those shooting at them? This is probably just a nightmare. It is; the only thing is, you're wide awake.

Reclamation

Reclamation is / will be an RPG-style zombie map, wherein you control a main character and guide yourself through a hellish landscape where the dead roam the streets. It takes place in the modern era, so electricity will exist, but it will be a very precious resource and you will have to learn to do without it. Your character has needs such as food and sleep. Taking care of those will make you more productive and make your job easier.

It will be a challenge reclaiming the city you once considered yours. Food will become scarce, so farming will be a must. Other survivors are definitely out there, but will they be friendly? Finding others would certainly be a great boon to your efforts of taking back the city. You will have to be especially careful during these times. Zombies are scattered everywhere you know. It is necessary that you board up at night and scavenge during the day when you can actually see more than three feet ahead of yourself.

jcPrW.png

F4xz6.jpg

OkMms.jpg

zFUQj.jpg

4jS8L.png

J7OSd.png

Features:

- Interact with almost anything
- Pick a lucky item after the first night is over (Dog, lighter, watch, charm, revolver, hat, etc.)
- Scavenge for food
- Avoid Government Agents so they don't capture you
- Find weapons such as baseball bats, revolvers, and even guitars (finished the equipment system)
- Realism via having to sleep, eat, and use the toilet.

Any ideas would be appreciated very much. This is certainly quite a work. It will be available to two players only in the first version and hopefully four in the second. Current ideas that I have are:

- Conflicts between AI cities and your own village
- Personalities for each survivor that could either help or hurt your efforts
- Farm once food runs out
- Government Agent detention camp if you get caught
- Random Events

I believe the screenshots show some good previews of this map and the interior of some nice houses. However, I myself am disappointed with the village I have created. It's too simple, too blocky, and too boring. Hopefully someone could aid me with this. I know there are huge amounts of very talented and artistic people here. I am amazed what some people do with Warcraft, making it a work of art worthy of space in an art museum. I can terrain quite well sometimes, so maybe some pointers would work as well.

All the credit of this map goes out to you, Hive Workshop!

Last edited:
Level 2
Actually, it needs quite a bit of work. Like.. a lot. I think the houses look good but the village needs to look a lot better.

Level 28
Great ideas and I guess you already made some of the core systems here, am I right?

Well first of all your terrain is somewhat messy, you have great ideas but you need to execute your terrain well. I also notice that you're going on a village type terrain so I suggest to remove that modern UI, find a better one or request to someone.

Also it is nice if you'll put some love on the map presentation.(the description) add more content and other things that is needed to be mention.

Level 2
I do have several core systems in place but need to finish others. The triggers are no problem; I don't know any JASS (except for destroying triggers and stuff) but the GUI has been working for me so far and none of the triggers are exceedingly complex. And I will find another UI. I just wanted to see how it would look... but it seems more for builder modern-type maps.

HOooDy, of course you can help on the terrain; it's the biggest problem facing this map. I will not require you to show any work that you are capable of because I suppose it would be easy to just send the map over and you can move and delete anything you want; I'll work around it.

Level 2
I don't think there will be a beta for at least two weeks. I have been very busy this week and have unfortunately had no time to work on it. Work will resume Friday.

Edit: Tested download link. I won't make it public just yet.

Level 2
I'm going to need a terrainer since HOooDy won't get back to me. I want to finish this project; I don't intend to leave it to rot.

Level 25
This sounds like a great idea. Got some things many regular zombie-maps don't have, which shall be interesting. Though, as jay said, the presentation could be fancier, to make us users more likely to check it out.
Also, how do one win? Or do one just need to survive for x minutes or something?

Level 2
I didn't think too much about the winning conditions but they would be something like to eradicate all the zombies from the city.

Also, sorry. I'm not that good at presentation like other people are with their projects.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

For an unknown user this was a great thread, the project has some decent features and the basic idea is old but it works. Good job so-far.

Status
Not open for further replies.