• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Development] -Realms-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concept

Realms is a Guild based game. An MMORPG with no classes, allowing you to create your own character the way you want him to be. You may choose to be your guild's spy, sneaking around your enemies' fortresses, or assassinating key figures.

Skills
A character can progress into a skill by training it. The more you use it, the more skills you can unlock. Players can also tutor others to help them get stronger quickly.

Terrain
Realms is an open world, comprised of islands which float in space or planets. These islands and planets, or realms, are accessible by portals which are huge structures randomly placed in the worlds.

Items
Weapons and Armor are crafted by smithing. Unlike most games, the smithing will be done by the player and the player will be able to take or add, paint, darken or polish metal to give their weapons/armor their own personal look.
Clothing can be given a personal touch by painting them. Symbols would be used to add colors to clothing.

Resources
Resources are acquired by digging, chopping down trees (and planting them), or other ways.
Food is a requirement to keep your character from fatigue, a factor that reduces his active and passive skills.
Breeding animals is one way to acquire them, other than taming them in the wild.

Storaging
Storage is not universal, but you can store items in your own storage. Since players can't have a large inventory, they are practically unable to transfer items to places on their own.
Transports are used to transfer goods to many towns. They are actual animals with the inventory, so if they get attacked while transferring something, they can get killed and the player's goods are vulnerable, thus need to be protected.

The game

I took the hobby of coding for this game a few months ago, and I've worked around many things. I am coding it in Unity3D, but not much has been done so far.

The game is currently in an early development stage (at this point I decided to code everything again). Since I am the only person working on the game, it is fairly limited on assets and code.

Recruiting

The game itself is what brought the community project in my mind. If people are actually interested in helping me out, the game could actually reach a playable state.

As for the assets (or code) you create, they're yours to do anything you'd like, you obviously can upload them to the hive or any other website, if you wish.

If you're interested in helping out with the scripting, you can put your C# skills to use, or learn how to use Unityscript.
I am also using a Dropbox folder to sync the game's assets at the moment.

Contact me if you're interested in helping out.

Level 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hMYF2CRFRo&feature=related
Sorry, I couldnt help it when someone is making MMOs! xd

May I ask why MMO, why such harsh project?! Why not just make it some simple singleplayer rpg at first, and then upgrade your engine to MMO! Thats how blizzard have actually made the following wc1 > wc2 > sc1 > wc3 > sc2. The games are the same crap code literally! The only difference is the graphics, sounds and story! Those are highly skilled paid people and you think you can just jump what they were trying for years? Seriously!

Just a note to those who dont believe it: WoW is an upgraded WC3 engine.
Linksword 1
Linksword 2

Sthatharas, dont you think it is a little bit of haste? I dont think people bringed enough of ideas about game. Everyone was talking about RTS, but suddenly MMO? Games like MMO are complex, HUGE, difficult. If this game will be very simular to WoW or AION or something.. it will be mainstream. It already sounds like Guild Wars 2.

I think in MMO the best thing is to develop your character through gameplay. You mentioned guilds. What if someone want to play with lone landstrider type of character? Not joining any guild, and just be an adventurer.

You mentioned smithing only. If there is smithing, then there should be some other professions like Alchemy or something.

In general I think you are going too far without knowing which way you will follow.

Last edited:
Sthatharas, dont you think it is a little bit of haste? I dont think people bringed enough of ideas about game. Everyone was talking about RTS, but suddenly MMO?
The idea was more inclined towards an enviroment that changes as you play. If a portal is connected to a realm with a virus that destroys plants, your own realm might become barren soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.