1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Development] Warcraft Mod for Fate 4

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by Starblind, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello people from Hiveworkshop:

My name is Mikael, a die-hard fan of Warcraft, Hearthstone and almost everything related to Blizzard's favorite child. I'm working in a Warcraft Mod for the singleplayer RPG Fate The Cursed King.

How big is this project? Well, that is hard to tell but let's say that is it big enough to cover most notable features you could find in an RPG. Cities, monsters, bosses, quests, dungeons. Of course I'm not going to include everything, that would be an awful ton of work. I simply can't, it's just too much. My goal is to have a modest but entertaining RPG experience about Warcraft: choose a race, class, level up, recruit AI party members, raid bosses, etc.

Why am I developing such a huge project? Simple. I love Warcraft, I love Fate, and I love modding. The Fate games series has similar stuff to Warcraft's so I don't have to make everything from scratch; the bast majority of characters, monsters and doodads blend in nicely.

Sorry not to say this before but, of course, I'm not going to rip Blizzard's original files. Everything in this mod will be made from scratch or will be reskins of Fate's original files. I'm also going to include some hand-made models in 3ds max. The only stuff I'm going to "copy" are the names (bosses names, cities, etc) but hey, that's the reason it's a "Warcraft" mod. Otherwise I'd call it Craftwar mod, lol. Pretty sure Blizzard has no problem on this because it's essentially a mod, no monetary profit is attempted.

Warcraft Mod for Fate 4

This project is a Modification for Fate The Cursed King. I'm posting this here because the playerbase and modders of Fate do not have a "home" (The WildGames Forum closed years ago) and also for it's related to Warcraft.

All information about the project and its progress can be seen here:

Project Name: Warcraft Mod
    What Game is it for: Fate The Cursed King
    Platform: PC
    Mod Type: RPG, Total Conversion
    Release Date: TBA

# Current Progress: 2%

Concept Phase: Done ✓
    Modding Phase: In Progress
    Testing Phase: -
    Release Phase: -

Modding Phase: Creating everything. This is the longest phase. Progress slowly increases as long as the tasks below are completed.

[ ]Modeling & Skinning (20%)
    [ ]Graphics (5%)
    [ ]Realms (40%)
    [ ]Dungeons (30%)
    [ ]Coding (5%)

----------------------------------

Realms are all towns, kingdoms and areas where you can find NPCs to interact with (vendors, questgivers). In the game, all of them are coded as "realms".

Dungeons are all hunting zones where you kill mobs, bosses and complete quests, not all of them are actual "dungeons" (despite in game they are divided in "levels").

Realms and Dungeons take up most of percentage because they require a lot of modeling, skinning, illumination, texture baking and stuff in 3ds max. Any of them is listed here because I don't want to spoil all the fun :p

I've been receiving PMs about this project so, once again, I state that this is not a Warcraft 3 map or campaign, it's a mod for the singleplayer RPG Fate the Cursed King. If you would like to contribute, the requisites are:

-Fate The Cursed King retail installation (no Steam)
    -Basic knowledges about modding

If you are interested, contact me via PM.

Since this is not for Warcraft 3, I cannot use any resource from any Blizzard game. Everything is made from scratch or is a re-skin of an existing Fate model.

By the way, according to a poll I made in Hearthpwn, the main setting for the Mod story will be the Lich King plot (Wrath of the Lich King), especially in matters of classes, bosses, locations, etc. However, there is a possibility of adding content beyond WotLK in the future. Everything will be decided according the reception the mod gets.

More info soon!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    In Fate, since only one place can be the starting location for all characters, I'm going to use the Hearthstone's Tavern as starting location, no matter you are a Human, Orc or whatever. Your character will eventually unlock a portal to the racial capital though, or use a Hearthstone: (race capital city) included in his/her inventory.

So, how should the tavern be named in-game?

-Hearthstone's Inn
    -Harth's Inn
    -or simply The Inn?

Comment if you have a better suggestion! :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  3. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Pretty nice, sadly this forum lacks visibility :(

4. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not a problem to me, actually :) I'm just feeling safe enough by posting in HW rather an unknown modding forum. This section however seems to be a bit inactive. Perhaps everyone's busy doing or playing something else.

Also this might catch more attention once more progress (and screenshots :grin:) is posted :prazz:

5. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Let me caught on with this, is this suppose to be a Warcraft 3 project or a separate game like actual separated game with it's own files?

6. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    A separate game with its own files. I'm feeling kind of alone because that game isn't popular these days, but the reason behind posting here instead another forum is because of the mod theme; it's all about Warcraft. A Warcraft mod with easter eggs from Hearthstone and Warcraft 3.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  7. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    First post updated! I'm done with all my side projects, this means I have all the time to concentrate on this Mod.

I need advice about one thing: classes. In the game, you cannot choose a class at the same time you choose a race. This is a bit complicated because choosing a class through a quest or using an item isn't very lorewise, and also opens the possibility to cheat.

On the other hand, choosing the class AND race while creating your character whould be a nightmare. In Fate there's no icon class and stuff, so in order to find a specific class and race combination you'll have to delve among all 75 race/class combinations, click by click. Just can't imagine doing that.

With that in mind, I have the idea of making for every faction a single class/race combo. That is a total of 20 characters:

Alliance Paladin
    Alliance Warrior, etc.

Horde Paladin,
    Horde Warrior, etc.

However, this is another issue. Only one race per class. It's a bit restrictive. I have to choose only one "representant" of each class. This is a very first attempt so it may be changed later:

Human Mage
    Dwarf Hunter
    Night Elf Druid
    Gnome Priest
    Draenei Paladin
    Human Death Knight
    Dwarf Warrior
    Night Elf Rogue
    Gnome Warlock
    Draenei Shaman
    Orc Warrior
    Troll Hunter
    Undead Rogue
    Blood Elf Paladin
    Tauren Druid
    Orc Shaman
    Troll Mage
    Undead Priest
    Blood Elf Warlock
    Tauren Death Knight

All races are listed twice (2 per faction) as well as classes (1 per faction).

What do you think? is it better to choose a "representant" of each class, or to have all 75 possible combinations and pick one carefully when creating your character?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  8. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    After a simple reskin with a pattern this banner is now an Alliance banner :D

001.png 002.png

9. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    My own frostmourne model I made some time ago. I think I need a better texture this time. Is it ok to use a frostmourne art or texture from internet? :O

Sin título.png

10. Wildfire

Wildfire

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Or just draw another one :p

11. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds good. I'll need to read some 2d tutorials though :p but I'll go for it.

12. Wildfire

Wildfire

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Or you can request it :xxd:

13. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    As long as the artist agrees that the resource is not for warcraft 3 it's ok then :D

14. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    A lot of creatures in Fate are very, very similar to the warcraft ones.

gryphon.png

Taking advantage of that, many of them are going to be re-skinned to look like warcraft creatures. That means a lot of less work in 3d max actually :p

Here an example, the Jackal King reskinned to look like an Anubisath (or so, it's my first try :( )

anubi_reskin.png

15. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just found this in my old files for fate mods (one of my many unreleased ones :D). It was supposed to be an accessory for a Gear Golem Minion, based off Tinker from Dota 2.

tinkercannons.png

If I swap both cannons for pincers (or just one idk) and add a little goblin under it, it would look like a Goblin Tinker NPC (Gazlowe!).

16. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    From a regular skeletal dragon to a Frost Wyrm! another file I found useful for this mod.

skeldragon.png
    frostwyrm.png

Hmm, the wing should have a light blue color. They usually look dark or messed up when vertices collide too much or rotate out of their angles. I'll see if it's possible to fix that.

Also the scapular bones look too "human". I'll have to adjust that by watching how reptile bones look lol.

17. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    This might take a while due to having some struggle in real life. I was bitten by a loxosceles laeta (poisonous spider) and need to recover :/

I'm okay though. Fortunately, the antidote was supplied on time.

18. The Lord

The Lord

Resources:
    Resources:
    Get better soon !!!
    and lemme know if there is something i can help with !

19. Starblind

Starblind

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks. I'm discharged already and recovering at home, ready to play games and make mods lol. Do you know something about Fate Modding? send me a PM and tell what you can help with ;)

After re-reading the post #7, I got to correct that information. Now there will be 10 races as usual (Human, Night Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Draenei, Orc, Tauren, Troll, Undead, Blood Elf) and your characters will choose their class once they are created and playing (just like class change quests in Lineage 2, but muuch simpler) I've found a neat way to do that :)

Been a little bit busy lately though... creating completed mods is a hard work and I still have many ideas I haven't done yet. I've been working in a "Pirates Mod" for Fate The Cursed King:

piratetown.png

Hmm... perhaps some of the content might be re-utilized for the Warcraft Mod :piru:

20. Kevin León

Kevin León

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello friends, I've been looking for mods for fate the curser king for a while and I found this web, it looks great the mod they are doing.

I would like to know if they have other mods and can pass them to me, I would appreciate a lot.