• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Real projectile physics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I am only in grade 9, and have no Jass know-how.

I am struggling with an small mini project to make a FPS like tank wars map, but need a projectile system that can include all most everything, from projectile weight, Coriolis effect and angle of ascent, descent with increased speed due to gravity, and at least able to track 10 projectiles.

Also Ive come across only once a map where the mouse pointer was tracked, and have searched endlessly for it, if you can give me one that tracks both horizontal and vertical movement +++rep!

If any more details are needed, I would be happy to give...

Level 19
this won't work well because for mouse tracking you would either need trackables but the ammount of trackables required to get the mouse position is extremely high (and even higher if you want it to be accurate) and therefore will cause lag
you could use an external program but that would require every player who wants to play your map to have it
you can use abilities to emulate a similar behavior but this way you will only be able to get the mouse position if the player clicks at some point so you won't be able to rotate the camera with your mouse
I heard that sc2 would have a function to get the mouse position and since you did not start with your project yet this might be an option for you

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
For the projectile, how is it you envision the coriolis effect on a linear wc3 map surface?

There are projectile systems in existence which allow you to control some of these aspects, though I don't know of one that accelerates the missile on descent. It can be done of course. Just about anything can be done if you invest enough time programming it.

You can control way more than 10 projectiles like this. There are systems that can handle up to 100 homing projectiles on a poor computer without any lag, so having a fixed setup like this should allow for more than you need.

The mouse pointer can be tracked using "trackables" but it might involve papering the entire map with them to get it to work. There is no dynamic response to get the current mouse position.

Status
Not open for further replies.