• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] How to create this spell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I want to create a spell where the caster shoots out 9 projectiles at nearby units. The targets of the projectiles is random. I created a spell through triggering but it removes the caster as well without shooting out 9 projectiles. I checked and I did not put any trigger that would add the caster to the unit group that I used.

I created 9 units at position of the caster, then for the 9 units to attack nearby targets at random, I gave the dummy units an attack that would gurantee that they attack only once. However, the spell I made did not turn out as such. Instead, the caster got removed.

I added the 9 units to a group by using Adding Last created units to unit group. Thus I am wondering whether that is possible.

If anyone can understand what I'm trying to do and get across to people who can help, please explain how to create this spell through GUI preferbly. Otherwise you can give me an idea on how to do it.

Level 4
why the hell would u use gui for this?? just use standard wc3 spell like fan of knives

Attachments

• test(3).w3x
    17.9 KB · Views: 76
Level 14
Because fan of knives doesn't target specific units.

I suggest enumerating a group with 9 random units within the range of the caster,
then create a dummy unit for each enumeration which then casts a spell to the targeted unit or attack the targeted unit with a ranged attack.
Both will probably work out find. Just make sure you create 1 dummy unit on the location of the caster for each unit picked inside the unit group.
(Don't forget to remove leaks and the dummy's afterwards)

Level 4
what yo talking about? it works perfectly, better than u will get it to work with triggers... also taking max dmg and stuff into account

Level 14
I thought fan of knives throws multiple knifes in a random direction around the caster up to a specific range?
Which is not what the thread poster wants?

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Level 14
I know that, but will it actually shoot the projectiles to the targeted 9 random units within range or will they simply be shot in a random direction?
(Sorry I'm not that famillair with fan of knives yet ^.^, I usually create my own spells)
And won't the projectiles dissapear up to a specific range? Because if the OP wants to shoot projectiles to a unit, the projectiles might need to follow the units when they get out of range after the spell is cast.
(Depending on the projectile type ofcourse)

Level 4
ehm in first post i attached it... fan of knives doesnt work like war stomp/thunder clap... it really targets the units...
people often dont realise how many things can be done with the standard wc3 skills :p its easy to make some really nice shit in 20 seconds, without using any trigger

Level 17
I want to create a spell where the caster shoots out 9 projectiles at nearby units. The targets of the projectiles is random. I created a spell through triggering but it removes the caster as well without shooting out 9 projectiles. I checked and I did not put any trigger that would add the caster to the unit group that I used.

I created 9 units at position of the caster, then for the 9 units to attack nearby targets at random, I gave the dummy units an attack that would gurantee that they attack only once. However, the spell I made did not turn out as such. Instead, the caster got removed.

I added the 9 units to a group by using Adding Last created units to unit group. Thus I am wondering whether that is possible.

If anyone can understand what I'm trying to do and get across to people who can help, please explain how to create this spell through GUI preferbly. Otherwise you can give me an idea on how to do it.

in spell section have projectile systems, try a advanced gui projectile system and modify it a bit :p

have alot, maybe something fit to u with bit modification
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...=search=gui%20projectile%20system&d=list&r=20

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...=search=gui%20projectile%20system&d=list&r=20

etc etc just search around because i guess projectile/missile system could be the best

Level 3
@hellekiller and Matija97

The reason why I dont use fan of knives is because the damage is spread out and the target will only recieve that much amount. However in this case, the spell i want to create is that if there is one unit around the caster, all 9 projectiles hit that one unit, thus multiplying damage by 9. However if there is multiple units around the caster, the damage is spread out. Fan of knives will just deal the same amount of damage no matter the amount of targets. Hence why I do not use that spell.

@hashjie and shadowvzs

Both your replies will help me alot. Hashjie gave me a better idea on how to do it and shadow gave me a guide. So thanks ^^

Level 4
u never mentioned that...
damage is triggered in 10 seconds anyways lol or u can give fan of knives with 1 max target to 9 dummy units, but its ok if u want to use an entire system instead :) good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.