• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ranged "Wisps"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Been on and off, working here and there on my Altered Melee. The first race, Demon, is complete, except for double-checking tooltips and balancing issues. I just started the next race, and I was wondering how to go about solving my next problem - a treant worker for lumber.

Treant Idea:
- I want a treant that can stand up to 250 range from a tree to gather from it.
- The tree doesn't "take damage".
- The treant doesn't need to return to a town hall or lumber drop-off point. It gathers like a wisp.
- Multiple treants can gather from the same tree.
- The treant should only be able to gather lumber, not gold.

Possible solutions:
- Use the Ghoul's harvest ability, with 250 cast range and 0 damage to the tree. The tree never dies, but the treant never gets any lumber.
- Use the Wisp's gather ability as a base. I can't figure out how to give the wisp's gather ability range. By default, it has 900 cast range, which confuses me.
- Have the treant "channel" some kind of dummy skill on the tree, and as long as the skill is being "channeled", create an invisible wisp with "locust" on the target tree and use triggers to make it gather for you. The problem with this is I don't think you can have more than one invisible wisp gathering from the same tree, even if you can, there might be some bugs when stopping a treant from gathering from a shared tree.

Anyone have any ideas?

Level 14
Ya.
Use Ghouls with 10 damage.
Add a trigger, when that a tree is attacked that it gets it health back.
  • Tree
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to (==) (Your Abillity)
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Set life of (Target destructible of ability being cast) to ((Current life of (Target destructible of ability being cast)) + 10.00)
Done

Level 6
Thanks guys.

Crazed_seal2: Does it need to be 10 damage? or can I use a lower amount to gather slower? Also, I was wondering if there was a way to make it "deposit" lumber like a wisp.

Bloody_Turds: Would you happen to know how to go about displaying the green +numbers that all lumber workers display when you return resources?

Level 8
Bloody_Turds: Would you happen to know how to go about displaying the green +numbers that all lumber workers display when you return resources?

Use Floating Texts (texttags in Jass). If your worker have upgrades and can gathar more than one ammount you gonna need to detect it (If-Then-Else).

Level 6
VestriDeus: That's odd. The tree still dies after 25 "chops". It properly deposits them though.

I've got an idea. Will this work? I greatly slow down the worker's mine speed by increasing the cast time to about 5 seconds, each time gathering 5 lumber, and then each time it chops, I use triggers to heal the tree by 5 hp and add Return Lumber to the worker, make it cast it immediately (so it can't be "canceled" by the player), and then remove Return Lumber from the worker so that other units carrying lumber can't deposit it on the worker.

This should supposedly make it bullet-proof to the Possession or Charm skill. As long as we don't have Fel Peons/Spider Hatchlings depositing wood into Treants, apocalypse has been averted, eh?

Level 5
VestriDeus: That's odd. The tree still dies after 25 "chops". It properly deposits them though.

I've got an idea. Will this work? I greatly slow down the worker's mine speed by increasing the cast time to about 5 seconds, each time gathering 5 lumber, and then each time it chops, I use triggers to heal the tree by 5 hp and add Return Lumber to the worker, make it cast it immediately (so it can't be "canceled" by the player), and then remove Return Lumber from the worker so that other units carrying lumber can't deposit it on the worker.

This should supposedly make it bullet-proof to the Possession or Charm skill. As long as we don't have Fel Peons/Spider Hatchlings depositing wood into Treants, apocalypse has been averted, eh?

Oops, i was too lazy to make sure the heal tree trigger worked. Yes, if you fixxed it like that, i think it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.