1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Random Terraining

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by demonsofdante, Dec 28, 2006.

1. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    This are some terraining i've done. I got addicted to WoW for a year but now im back and using world editor and trying to get better.

The lake uses only blizzard models along with the forest picture (1st terrain).
    The tauren oasis was my 2nd terrain.

The fireplace and aquarium are part of a murder at the mansion map im working on. (I always liked traps and passages etc. The only thing hindering me is room ideas. Any clue what would go in a basement 'sides a wine cellar and evil lab?)

By the way, when the player pulls the lever, a jet of flame shoots out, killing the unit (was very fun to make)

EDIT: Moved all of the previous pictures up to this post and added around 8 new pictures of the map (still on hold).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. LordPwnage

LordPwnage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Most of them are very nice terraining 10/10

3. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Excellent! *clap clap clap*

The one with the wolf head is scary o_O the wolf ate the peasant's head!

4. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol !!!!! Pwned!!! :p 10/10

5. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just one word: lol nice 9/10 (they are nice, but 10 is reserved for hernanG)

6. HernanG

HernanG

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Excellent screens, the tower in the picture 4 is beautiful.

BTW WHAT DID U USE to make that AMAZING WATERFLL in the 1ST SCREEN?

+rep

PS: I would certainly love to see the Murder.......... map u are working on.

7. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Very excellent terrains a definite 9/10. Show us more :p

8. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Like i said, purely blizzard doodads. I removed all hte colors from the normal waterfall, leaving only the spray. Then w/ some carefully placed rocks i covered up the black water so only white showed. If you look closely you can see what im talking about. All about perspective :-D

I actually started the map 2 years ago, but i shelved it when a friend got me addicted to WoW, but ive started again after cancelling my account. Sadly some of the triggers dont work now and i never even finished the terraining. Im trying to make it more immersive by adding items and such.
    ---Examples would include:
    Random keys spawning that are used to open up larger areas of the house. A map that hints at passages.
    A candle to increase your visibility.
    Trying to do a booze item that gives a 50% chance to avoid any damage for 15 sec (No luck so far).
    And possibly an item that lets you teleport between rooms through the use of paintings.
    I also have a working elevator (No real biggie but i think its a nice touch up to normal games)---
    Sadly it wont be revolutionary, its largely for me and some friends.

The map has been using only models from the Ultimate Terraining Map (Which i think someone should put up here for all the new terrainers) however i saw the house models posted up by xXm0rpH3usXx and it almost made me want to start over completely due to their sheer beauty and how well they would work in my map.

Enough rambling hehe, thanks for the comments guys :)

9. HernanG

HernanG

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Lol, i will try that waterfall "trick"

Sounds great, perhaps u should open a thread about ur map in the Map Development forum, and attached ur test map, im sure u will get feedback, comments, and someone who can help u with the improvment of the map.

10. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's a very nice piece of work. About the waterfall, I thought you used a custom doodad =P maybe you should post a tutorial about it, if you would like to spread that skill, of course =D

11. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah i might. Im at least going to finish the terraining and patching. I have like 4 rooms left, including a spider cave and a backyard at least to finish.

Here are a few screenshots i just took showing the foyer, upstairs, master bedroom and secret tunnel, starting room, one of the hallways, the conservatory, the empty pool and the balcony

EDIT: Moved the pictures to main post

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  12. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    not so much a trick as something i happened upon when i got sick of blizzards boring and tacky doodads. The main thing you need to know is just how to use objects to cover sections you dont want to show and just show what you want. Id have to say thats my best terrain so far, due mainly to how the waterfall was set up.

13. operator

operator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Damn, those screens KICK ASS!!!!

14. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I particularily like the new first one. The arches being diagnol looks really cool,a nd especially so since the fountain is lined up between the two. Great job!

15. Deckboy

Deckboy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very nice, I like em =D
    +rep!

16. Deep Sea Kraken

Deep Sea Kraken

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I really like all of them except the ice one. i couldnt tell what i was looking at 999/1000

17. Chaos

Chaos

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    JUST GREAT ! I love them all ... hope you go on with Terraining, cause these ones are just beautiful ... impressive !
    EDIT: Sorry if this goes under "old thread, why did you reply it ?" But I looked here and there, and here I stucked.

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  18. Ham Ham

Ham Ham

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You are the best terrainer then I have seen in my life...

19. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lies. HernanG pwns me. By the way, i have immense creative blocks so i cannot say all of these are completely original (The lighthouse one is my attempt to recreate a Thomas Kinkade painting in my own fasion)

20. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow! Great job! I learned alot just looking at your work! Comparing mine with yours is like comparing Wc3 graphics to WoW! 10/10!