• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Rain of Frost Arrows

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Runic Rocket Copy
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Rain of Frost Arrows
    • Actions
      • Set Rain_Frost_ArrowsPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy Rain of Frost Arrows for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at Rain_Frost_ArrowsPoint facing 0.00 degrees
      • Set Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy Rain of Frost Arrows for Neutral Passive at Rain_Frost_ArrowsPoint facing 0.00 degrees
      • Set Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit2 = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit to Undead Lich - Frost Nova Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit2
      • Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Rain_Frost_ArrowsPoint)
I tries this but is not working ...of

I found the problem is because of the dummy, air unit. But is there a better way to to make this instead of making 2 dummys?
Update like this is working now
  • Runic Rocket Copy
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Rain_Frost_ArrowsPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy Rain of Frost Arrows for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at Rain_Frost_ArrowsPoint facing 0.00 degrees
      • Set Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy Rain of Frost Arrows 2 for Neutral Passive at Rain_Frost_ArrowsPoint facing 0.00 degrees
      • Set Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit2 = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit2
      • Unit - Order Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit to Undead Lich - Frost Nova Rain_Frost_ArrowsUnit2
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Rain_Frost_ArrowsPoint)

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
How about ordering a Dummy unit to cast Earthquake at the target point. You don't get the blue tint but I think that's a fine compromise. Then use a Unit Indexer to link the Dummy unit to the Caster and simply Remove the Dummy once the Caster stops casting Rain of Frost Arrows. Or if you know that each Player can only have one hero that uses Rain of Frost Arrows at a time you can avoid the Unit Indexer and simply use the caster's Player Number.
  • Events
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Triggering player)
    • Set Variable RoFA_Dummy[Player number of (Triggering player)] = Last created unit
    • // Make it cast Earthquake
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Stop casting an ability
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit - Remove RoFA_Dummy[Player number of (Triggering player)]

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Why earthquake when you can use blizzard to get the blue? The dummy should be able to nova itself if set up properly. Dummies also shouldn’t have to be air units.
I don't think Blizzard slows or applies the blue tint but maybe I'm wrong.

And if the Dummy has the Locust ability it cannot be targeted by Frost Nova.

How about ordering a Dummy unit to cast Earthquake at the target point. You don't get the blue tint but I think that's a fine compromise. Then use a Unit Indexer to link the Dummy unit to the Caster and simply Remove the Dummy once the Caster stops casting Rain of Frost Arrows. Or if you know that each Player can only have one hero that uses Rain of Frost Arrows at a time you can avoid the Unit Indexer and simply use the caster's Player Number.
  • Events
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Triggering player)
    • Set Variable RoFA_Dummy[Player number of (Triggering player)] = Last created unit
    • // Make it cast Earthquake
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Stop casting an ability
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit - Remove RoFA_Dummy[Player number of (Triggering player)]
This skill is for a basic unit not for a hero and maybe is better if the dummy will use a skill that will apply the effect for a period of time that a skill like Earthquake. A solution for that can be Slam (what Chaosium suggested in his first post). Is the way I did it wrong?? Also if I'm not wrong Earthquake is hard coded because i tried to use this skill for something else but the buff can't be changed or something like that.
Why earthquake when you can use blizzard to get the blue? The dummy should be able to nova itself if set up properly. Dummies also shouldn’t have to be air units.
Can you show me how to order a unit to target itself?

Also thx for your help so far Pyrogasm,Chaosium and Uncle

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
This skill is for a basic unit not for a hero and maybe is better if the dummy will use a skill that will apply the effect for a period of time that a skill like Earthquake. A solution for that can be Slam (what Chaosium suggested in his first post). Is the way I did it wrong?? Also if I'm not wrong Earthquake is hard coded because i tried to use this skill for something else but the buff can't be changed or something like that.

Can you show me how to order a unit to target itself?

Also thx for your help so far Pyrogasm,Chaosium and Uncle
You make a unit target itself the same way you make a unit target another unit. The problem is that you 1) Cannot target units with the Locust ability. 2) Need to make sure Frost Nova has the correct Targets Allowed. If both of those are setup properly then it will work fine.

The reason for Earthquake is because Cluster Rockets fires the projectiles over the course of the spell. If you simply Slam once at the start of the spell it won't really perform the way I assume you'd want. But it's your call, Slam is easier to work with. You can also order the Dummy unit to cast Frost Nova on each nearby enemy unit within the Cluster Rocket's AoE, and simply set the Frost Nova AoE to 0.

If you wanted my method to work for multiple units owned by the same player (MUI) you would simply change (Player number of (Triggering player)) to the (Custom value of (Triggering unit)). Of course, you need a Unit Indexer imported into your map so that Custom Value can be used this way.

Last edited:
You make a unit target itself the same way you make a unit target another unit. The problem is that you 1) Cannot target units with the Locust ability. 2) Need to make sure Frost Nova has the correct Targets Allowed. If both of those are setup properly then it will work fine.

The reason for Earthquake is because Cluster Rockets fires the projectiles over the course of the spell. If you simply Slam once at the start of the spell it won't really perform the way I assume you'd want. But it's your call, Slam is easier to work with. You can also order the Dummy unit to cast Frost Nova on each nearby enemy unit within the Cluster Rocket's AoE, and simply set the Frost Nova AoE to 0.

If you wanted my method to work for multiple units owned by the same player (MUI) you would simply change (Player number of (Triggering player)) to the (Custom value of (Triggering unit)). Of course, you need a Unit Indexer imported into your map so that Custom Value can be used this way.
Earthquake is not good is hard coded i just tested again this skill. I wanted to make a skill using this skill and it doesn't work well. If you edit the buff for this skill will still show the basic one .

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Earthquake is not good is hard coded i just tested again this skill. I wanted to make a skill using this skill and it doesn't work well. If you edit the buff for this skill will still show the basic one .
Another method would be to use Unit Indexing or Dynamic Indexing and repeat the Slam effects periodically. There's a tutorial for these in my signature.

Or you could even just give your Dummy unit X Life where X is the number of times you want it to cast Slam:
  • Events
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Slam (Dummy)
  • Actions
    • Wait 0.20 seconds
    • Unit - Set Life of (Triggering unit) to (Life of (Triggering unit)) - 1)
    • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Slam
This would make the Dummy cast Slam every ~0.20 seconds until it kills itself. Waits are less than ideal though.

Another method would be to use Unit Indexing or Dynamic Indexing and repeat the Slam effects periodically. There's a tutorial for these in my signature.

Or you could even just give your Dummy unit X Life where X is the number of times you want it to cast Slam:
  • Events
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Slam (Dummy)
  • Actions
    • Wait 0.20 seconds
    • Unit - Set Life of (Triggering unit) to (Life of (Triggering unit)) - 1)
    • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Slam
This would make the Dummy cast Slam every ~0.20 seconds until it kills itself. Waits are less than ideal though.
Yeah this could work but what about my trigger is bad or i can keep that trigger too?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Yeah this could work but what about my trigger is bad or i can keep that trigger too?
It doesn't leak and I assume you tested it so I guess it's fine.

The only thing I don't like is the idea of having a vulnerable Dummy unit that's used as the target for Frost Nova. What's stopping other triggers/spells/units from interacting with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.