• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Quotes are ugly =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Not the first time I mention this on a XenForo-based site. Quotes are too big, and posts that quote a lot take an immense amount of space, sometimes to reply with a single line, sometimes squashed by a huge signature underneath. The resulting thread layout looks ugly overall: the information of each post, which is the essential part of the thread, does not stand out, because it is overwhelmed by other page elements. It is scattered and requires a lot of scrolling to peruse.

Proposal

To solve this, I propose at least one of the following measures:

A. User-side Policy:

Have users adopt a policy when replying to someone (the "consignee" from hereon). Has the advantage that no changes are necessary, but is subject to disagreement and the policy must be divulged.
  • If the consignee's post is in a previous page, use quotes. Prefer single line quotes with the essential information for the reader to grasp the context.
  • If the consignee's post is in the same page, but there are posts afterwards, use @ to tag the consignee.
  • If the consignee's post is the last post in the thread, don't use quotes or tags; simply reply.

B. Automatic Mechanism

Apply the above algorithm with an automated mechanism. Requires changes, but adoption is guaranteed.

C. Style Sheet Modifications

Perform style sheet modifications to beautify quote boxes. Requires changes, the results are subject to people's tastes, but adoption is guaranteed.

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Do you like this more?
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 16.06.18.png

It's XenForo 2 which I am hard at work migrating the site to. If you like that, it will be a fix implemented when the migration occurs.

Reactions: pyf

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

[...] the quoted text doesn't update when the original poster updated the source text.
I can modify the quotation though, so how is the forum software supposed to know how to update the quotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.