• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Quick attack speed question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
TL:DR does the formula change from "base attackspeed * (1.00 + bonus attackspeed)" to "base attackspeed / (1.00 + bonus attackspeed)" when the attack speed multiplier is below 1?

I'm just wondering how attack speed bonus work.

lets say that my unit has 1 attacks per second. If I give my unit 100% increased attack speed it would have 2 attacks per second (0.50 in object editor because it shows time between each attack instead of number of attacks per second).

What I'm not clear on is if I give the unit 100% reduced attack speed instead of increase, will the unit either have his attack speed halved (2.00 in object editor) or have an infinite attack cooldown? (not counting that the game is hard capped at 20% of base attackspeed)

Basically does the attack speed bonus divide instead of multiply when the multiplier is below 1.00 or not?

It seems strange if attack speed slows have a higher effect if the target already has a lower bonus attack speed but from what I've googled the only formula mentioned is: base attackspeed * (1.00 + bonus attackspeed)

Edit: In case anybody wonders why I'm asking about it; I thought of raising base attack speed and adding negative gloves of haste ability to raise the possible max attack speed without heroes attacking insanely fast already from the start, I'm concerned that attack speed increases might be several times more potent than usual if I do this.

Level 12
As you know IAS (increased attack speed) is capped at -0.8 and 4. No matter whether IAS is negative or positive, the following formulas are used in any case (BAT being base attack time):

Attacks per second = (1 + IAS)/BAT
Seconds per attack = BAT/(1+IAS)

In my opinion this does not leave much room for questions. If you have more, just ask again pls.

Last edited:
Level 12
Thanks for your response, it has cleared it up for me.

Now, my issue would be that I'd like to raise the base attack speed of heroes and give them negative gloves of haste ability to compensate for it. The idea is that if I'd give them say -50% reduced IAS then the 4. cap would appear as 8. (because crazy fast attack speeds are cool).

The thing is though that the effectiveness of increasing attack speed would be even higher at first and even lower at the end relative to the standard, I'd prefer something closer to linear, though not entirely since I'm limited to 4. IAS max after all...

Something like an Increased Attack Speed rating stat or something I guess.

Level 12
Damage increase gained via IAS is linear. Going from 3 to 4 IAS gives the same amount of increased damage as going from 0 to 1.

It just often happens that paired with other abilities and mechanics a further improvement in IAS is not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.