• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Questions on Making a plane "reload" system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi, so basically in my project I'm trying to construct a system for my planes - essentially, a when a plane attacks a ground unit, its "replaced" with an identical clone that cannot attack (out of ammo), and has a "reload" ability, which it uses to return to its original form.

Though I've done this system using unit replace triggers, it's not sufficient, since it creates a new unit and causes the player to lose selection of the unit as well as not being able to make a control group for the unit. I know that somehow I should be able to use modified bear form abilities to try to establish this system with replacing the unit, but somehow I keep running into problems somehow not allowing me to do it. To complicate things further, I need to use a separate "bear form" ability for both reloading, and a different one for changing a regular unit to one "out of ammo", since reloading requires mana, while converting to "out of ammo" needs to cost no mana.

Any ideas on how I might accomplish my goal?

Level 12
Hi, so basically in my project I'm trying to construct a system for my planes - essentially, a when a plane attacks a ground unit, its "replaced" with an identical clone that cannot attack (out of ammo), and has a "reload" ability, which it uses to return to its original form.

Though I've done this system using unit replace triggers, it's not sufficient, since it creates a new unit and causes the player to lose selection of the unit as well as not being able to make a control group for the unit. I know that somehow I should be able to use modified bear form abilities to try to establish this system with replacing the unit, but somehow I keep running into problems somehow not allowing me to do it. To complicate things further, I need to use a separate "bear form" ability for both reloading, and a different one for changing a regular unit to one "out of ammo", since reloading requires mana, while converting to "out of ammo" needs to cost no mana.

Any ideas on how I might accomplish my goal?

/palmface

If you're gonna use a reload system, it probably should be reliant on the use of LUMBER as bullets. Unit attacks, lumber = 0, order unit to stop. Unit attacks, lumber > 0, lumber - 1.

Level 5
/palmface

If you're gonna use a reload system, it probably should be reliant on the use of LUMBER as bullets. Unit attacks, lumber = 0, order unit to stop. Unit attacks, lumber > 0, lumber - 1.

*facelam* No, not your generic "one unit endlessly shoot one thing after another res evil style" reload. This system is individually for PLANES, not bullets, and most certainly for more than one unit for even just one player.

Level 12
*facelam* No, not your generic "one unit endlessly shoot one thing after another res evil style" reload. This system is individually for PLANES, not bullets, and most certainly for more than one unit for even just one player.

So planes run out of ammo and you remove their attack by swapping them with a copy unit?

You could just use a banish to stop them from attacking physically. Then remove the debuff when the other spell is cast.

The other option is structs.

Think.

Level 5
Thanks for the suggestions, but they kinda don't work - sorry, I'm probably not being clear in describing what I'm trying to do.

Basically, for my plane system: each plane unit has "fuel" (Mana) which automatically drops every few seconds, killing the unit if it hits 0. Airfields, however, provide a large mana aura bonus to "refills" plane mana to max if they're nearby.

As for the plane attacking, what I'm aiming to do, is make it so that the unit attacks the ground unit, "transform" into copy that can't attack - while the copy has the "reload" ability, which uses up nearly all mana (so that it must be done near airfield), which transforms it back into original plane that can further attack ground units.

Currently, my system just uses a trigger that "replaces" the unit, but I dislike it because doing so causes players to lose selection of planes and prevent them from making numbered control groups with planes, so its really sucky for microing with planes. Right now, I'm trying to see if I could use modified "bear form" abilities as "reloading" and such to transform the plane from different stages, but I keep running into problems...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.