• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Questions about leaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm making a single player RPG, and I have someone in a town who is supposed to be so drunk that she is entertaining herself by spinning a bottle of beer endlessly. I got this effect by putting
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the hand, left of Kagome's Mom 0073 <gen> using Abilities\Spells\Other\StrongDrink\BrewmasterMissile.mdl
Now, since this person is irrelevant to the story line and this person will never, ever put down her bottle of booze, that special effect will sit there all game, and from what I understand, that means it'll leak memory all game. Can I fix that without removing the spinning beer bottle effect?

Any help is greatly appreciated :pir:

EDIT: I just thought to myself
Hmm, what will the responses be... maybe someone will suggest putting the villain on the map, but having her start out as hidden, so that she doesnt have to be stored as a variable. Wow, what a great idea someone might come up with!
:razz:

Use that special effect, it will work fine unless the unit uses Metamorph, reincarnates, uses robogoblin or similar events.

A 'memory leak' is only noteworthy if it happens out of control, like in the thousands. Contrary to the posts above me, a dummy casting a spell with that effect will, from my experience, 'leak' just as much as any special effect.

Another thing to note about effects is that you can't attach doodads and many of the destructables. Sucks, but that's Blizzard's response: when a game is not world of warcraft, they don't care about it.

Level 11
I would recomend you to listen to Bribe about this. The special effect will not leak because you have it in you'r control. See it like a doodad. You have placed it on a place and it will stay there until the game has ended.
This is just as a doodad. Ignore such things as special effects if it's only created once.

Status
Not open for further replies.