• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Question - linking variables in wc3we

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
aight, so my question is pretty simple: can i or can't i link variables in tooltips? and if yes, could you pls say how and not just "yes" :p

i need this (or something like this), since my new map requires shitloads of items (about several thousands) if i cant link variables, seeing how i would have leveled items...

for instance, say there's an item called longsword. this item has three levels (all the items in my map have 10 but eh...) : copper, iron and steel. so level 1 longsword would be called "Copper Longsword" and level 2 "Iron Longsword" etc... if you add enchantments to the item it gets abit more interesting... for instance there are 3 enchants (there are about 30 in my map planned out...); # of Destruction, # of the Bear and # of Intelligence... if you add that to the mix then it can be "Copper Longsword of the Bear" and etc - making my calculator go all haywire and explode with the numbers ><

i just calculated 19411 items that would need 2 be created if linking isnt possible and just 43 if linking is possible

Level 4
what if there is a way around this, as in if the items themselves are just a set of variables (5 strings for the name; 1 for prefix, 1 for materials, 1 for name, 1 for sufix and 1 for the adding (prefix+" "+material+" "+name+" "+sufix), 2 reals (min and max dmg) for weapons, 2 reals (damage reduction and max dodge) for armors, 1 real for shields (prolly just use 2 reals but leave 1 blank... the other 1 is for damage reduction), 1 string (for flavour text) and 1 last string (for description/list of enchants, etc...)... in total: 7 strings, 1 image (icon), 2 reals)

also, is it possible to make a gui to render all of this on mouse-over, to make it seem like it's a tooltip when it is in fact a set of variables?

Level 9
what if there is a way around this, as in if the items themselves are just a set of variables (5 strings for the name; 1 for prefix, 1 for materials, 1 for name, 1 for sufix and 1 for the adding (prefix+" "+material+" "+name+" "+sufix), 2 reals (min and max dmg) for weapons, 2 reals (damage reduction and max dodge) for armors, 1 real for shields (prolly just use 2 reals but leave 1 blank... the other 1 is for damage reduction), 1 string (for flavour text) and 1 last string (for description/list of enchants, etc...)... in total: 7 strings, 1 image (icon), 2 reals)

also, is it possible to make a gui to render all of this on mouse-over, to make it seem like it's a tooltip when it is in fact a set of variables?

You cannot detect a 'mouse-hover'. A GUI can only really render things through Floating Text, and Dialogs, both of which you wouldn't really want to use. Use a Multiboard if you MUST show variables based on an item.

Level 4
You cannot detect a 'mouse-hover'. A GUI can only really render things through Floating Text, and Dialogs, both of which you wouldn't really want to use. Use a Multiboard if you MUST show variables based on an item.

aye, i was thinkin of that as a second alternative... i know there alrdy is a inventory system like that in 'spells' but ill just go and make my own to better suit my needs...

my third alternative was to use a singled out area where items picked up are ported to that area and then as you select an item there, it gets teleported to a second area where it's attributes are shown as floating text...

just a side question then: what do you think is better, the multiboard or the floating text alternative? oh and thx on all the quick and helpful replies, this has been a very informative thread for me :p

Level 6
trackables are no function. They are handles. ( which you cannot destroy ) and they are slow as fu**. You can only use trackables in JASS because blizzard thought they don't have to finish them >_> - If you're experienced with JASS you may touch trackables but it is not recommend for a beginner to use trackables

Level 4
trackables are no function. They are handles. ( which you cannot destroy ) and they are slow as fu**. You can only use trackables in JASS because blizzard thought they don't have to finish them >_> - If you're experienced with JASS you may touch trackables but it is not recommend for a beginner to use trackables

as i have NO experiance in JASS (i do, however, know C++, java, javascript, C and partially Lua), i think im gonna take your word and not going to go deeper in it, atleast not myself... (perhaps if some1 with an extencive knowledge of JASS helps me with my current project...)

i think im gonna go with multiboards and keyboard shortcuts to get a simple and somewhat easy to use inventory system...

however, i do have some questions concerning creating the system; can i create some sort of buttons in multiboards (really, any sort of input can do...)? how can i set a nice trigger that'll make picking up, dropping, stacking and equipping items easy for the end user if im using a multiboard and is it even possible?

...perhaps if i use a combination of the area alternative with the multiboard then i could have a simpleton inventory system (area system) with quick tracking (multiboard)... what do you think?

p.s. thx for all the replies, this has been VERY helpful so far ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.