1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Question from WE

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by mikagami, Sep 26, 2013.

1. mikagami

mikagami

Resources:
    Resources:
    guys did someone ever notice some skills that can be casted under silenced?
    not item thou, i found one , skills base on orc unit, " frenzy " / " berserk " or something like that.

it can be cast under silenced, so the question is, can i make some CERTAIN and specific spell that can be cast while silenced?
    and yes, not item that can be cast under silenced,(since item already can be casted while silenced)
    just spell under silenced.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. pOke

pOke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If I remember correctly, if you make an ability based on Channel have the classification universal/physical spell and have a mana cost of 0, the spell is not "silenced" when your unit gets silenced.

I have no idea what orc ability you're talking about, maybe berserk, I feel like that would make sense, since you wouldn't want Dark Ranger to counter headhunters so hard.

Anyway...If you do as I said above you can have any casting method you like. I.E. point, unit, instant

3. mikagami

mikagami

Resources:
    Resources:
    thx very much, ill try it ASAP, so ill jst need universal/physical spell right?
    then how can i add mana cost? in trigger? when the units start the ffect of the ability?

yes something like that, frenzy or berserk, its possible tto cast under silenced,
    not categorize by unit , item or hero ability.

4. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There's a Mana Cost option in Channel.
    It seems silence restrict "Magic Damage Spells".

5. pOke

pOke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah..sadly I dont think you'll be able to have the blue mana cost line. I could be dead wrong though, someone may know how to do it. However...items with abilities dont get silenced when your unit gets silenced but you probably already thought of that. In order to take mana, I suggest you catch when a unit is issued an order by whatever the orderstring is, then if theyhave enough mana, let tthem cast it and subtract the needed mana from their total. Otherwise print an error message to the user. I would highly recommend SimError, as the error noise and placement of text really makes all the difference for me.

Edit: @daffa I believe if you add a mana cost to channel even with the universal tag it becomes "silencable" while no mana cost makes it resist silence.

6. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The blue mana cost will appear if you set the mana cost from the OE, Channel has an option for at [unless you don't look carefully].

7. pOke

pOke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No I think you're miss understanding me, the OP wants an ability to be castable during silence, IF I remember correctly you can use channel and give it the universal spell tag, with this tag + no mana cost, it is castable while silenced. I think! If you add a mana cost, it will be silenced like any other spell. Sorry if I'm being unclear.

8. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I see. So that's the issue, silence is quite an interesting spell indeed, time for some lab research.

9. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    so silence won't silence an ability without a mana cost?

10. pOke

pOke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can't say for certain as I don't have WE on this comp to test, but if I remember right, Channel when given the universal or physical spell tag coupled with no mana cost it will allow it to be cast while silenced. The moment mana cost is added, it loses its ability to not be silenced. I do believe there are some other spells that are on units that cannot be silenced per se either, we referenced berserk from troll head hunters before, but I cannot remember if that is true or not. Another example might be Flare from Mortar Teams, but I truly couldn't tell ya, its just something someone needs to spend 10 mins and test ^^.

11. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    *Someone test something*

12. pOke

pOke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Tested---

Universal Spell tag + 0 mana cost = not silenced
    Universal + any mana cost = silenced
    Physical 0/any mana cost = silenced
    Found nothing useful about unique cast

Edit: Yes, Unique Cast 0/any mana cost = silenced
    I didn't see anything useful or different with unique.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  13. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    how about unique cast? same as physical?

14. mikagami

mikagami

Resources:
    Resources:
    thx for every thought,

the berserk skill is not silenced even it has mana cost , haha
    very unique skills.

so can i have channel spell tha wont get silenced and have spell like spellbook?
    means that u CAN ACCESS the spellbook list from channel while silenced,
    but the spell inside the spellbook is depends, on some spell that can be casted under silenced and some is not...

i hope its quite clear enough for the question .

15. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you disable shared Cooldown, pretty sure you can open Spellbook even if you get silenced.

16. pOke

pOke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Geez, that grammar was brutal...

I think you want:

When silenced you can still open the spell book and cast spells from inside of it. (If the spells cannot be silenced.) Btw--since berserk is only 1 ability, I think you're going to have to use channel and have no mana icon for most of your spells that cannot be silenced yet have a cost mana, because of order id issues.

I don't think you can make spell books resistant to silence. I'll try to think of a possible way to overcome this directly. I have an indirect way below, but it wont work on like a melee map.

If your map is single unit based, meaning that each person has one or a very small number of units.
    What you could do is this---

Give every ability a tech tree requirement, on map initialization set the level of this research to 1. Then, periodically check if the players units are silenced. (You will need to choose a different base ability than silence/soul burn or anything else that ACTUALLY silences so the units do not actually become silenced, it doesn't necessarily have to have a buff, but its less coding if it does.) If the unit has the buff then you're going to Set the Research of your requirement to 0, or if you coded the silence you will do it there. If they do not have the buff/your system has removed them being silenced, you're going to put their research to 1. This will be effectively "silencing" or "unsilencing" them.

17. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sadly, you can't downgrade upgrades.

18. pOke

pOke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh..how foolish of me to have not read the little hint in WE that says you cannot downgrade. Well in any case..you would just do the same as described but instead of an upgrade being a requirement, make it a unit requirement, when the unit should be silenced, pick the unit and remove it from the game, otherwise leave the unit. If the unit gets unsilenced, create the unit again. I guess you could revive/kill it...but make sure you change ownership because until the unit is decayed and removed, it still counts as you "having" that unit.