• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Question Challenge

Are you a great editor?I bet you are.But how informed are you about Warcraft's history?This contest is designed for you to answer a poll of 30 questions about Warcraft 3 normal/expansion campaign.If you think you're very informed then why not test here against the others.

You may be a good editor ,but start to think and stop to act.
Rules
-The questions are to be answered in a decent way.
-If a players answers a question that contains a name and writtes that name wrong ,the question is considered nule.
-You can answer them in any order you like.
-The one who answers the most questions is 1st,then 2nd and then 3rd.
-Double posts on answering arent accepted,you can post if you want to comment
Prizes
-1st -wins 50 Rep and hopefully some real reputation among Hive
-2nd -wins 30 Rep.
-3rd -wins 10 Rep.
The questions will be posed by nobody esle but me
Accept this little contest and raise Hives thinking not acting:thumbs_up:

Level 36
Well, this DOES sound interesting, yes, but I really don't feel that we can possibly find a way to control cheating. And with that much rep involved (there is no way that the contest would have that large of a reward anyway) it is totally out of the question.

Unless someone has any ideas for stopping cheating, this whole contest is null.

Level 32
The approval of this contest seems likely pending:
  1. The adjustment of the rules and rewards: my department.

2. The appointment of a competent judge and supervisor. I nominate Mecheon: don't cross him on Warcraft III lore (or anything else, for that matter)!

3. The development of a list of questions and methods to prevent plagiarism: that discussion will take place privately.

Level 9
How about that the contest will last only few hours, and the answers will be submitted directly to the judge of the contest. This way, we will avoid copying and if someone will use big lore source such as Wiki or the warcraft encyclopedia, he will be short of time.

Level 27
i have an idea, we could use the chat at a certain time, and then brad will be asking the questions and people will have to react in like 10 seconds so they dont have any time to cheat.. orwell .. its just an idea.. it seems better to me if you use the chat for this contest

Level 24
To stop cheating
-Players will sign up to me at the thread.
-The signed ones will receive a PM from me with the questions.
-If they dont reply that PM in two hours(max) they are disqualified
-The questions are relatively easy except for the HARDCORE part,with very hard questions.This will stop cheating.

Level 24
Well questions like Who is Tagar?or What is the name of the originary island of the trolls? is only from gameplay not some WoW DueHicky who answers everything.For example could that WoW HIky answer this .What is this item.500 gold and grants 50 movespeed?Probably not

Level 36
Uh... WoW Wiki (do you not know what a wiki is) has a comprehensive database full of articles about EVERYTHING related to Warcraft and its universe. You can find just about anything there.

For example, the answers to your questions:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Tagar_Spinebreaker
http://www.wowwiki.com/Troll#The_Twin_Empires

See. That took me about 5 minutes. And that's only because I had to scroll through the Troll article. If it was anything else, that would have taken 30 seconds.

Denied.

Level 9
There are questions which wiki can’t answer… for example, "After Malfurion exiled the remaining Highborne from Kalimdor, how he ensured that Kalimdor borders will remain safe from invaders?" Or, "When the titans first arrived to Azeroth, which races are created first? and why?".
if anyone finds the answers on wiki, please let me know.

Level 36
Yes, but WoW Wiki and the inernet can easily aide you in such questions. This is EASIER and more tempting to cheat at. Hell, you could just type the questions into google and get answers.....

No. Where other contests, cheating can be recognized easily, and it's relatively hard to do, with this, cheating is very, very, easy, and there is no way to know if a user did cheat or not.

In other contests, you have to create something. The only way you can cheat at those is by stealing someone else's creation (very unlikely) or using a creation that you've previously made.

In the latter event, work is still required, you still have to create whatever it is, with this, you just type your shit into the search box, and bam, there's your answer.

There's no way to stop cheating (don't tell me the honor policy, it wont work) so this contests wont happen.

Level 32
That sounds like the final word to me guys.

If brad won't sanction and supervise the contest then there's no way it will take place. For now I will leave this thread open for further discussion in case someone else jumps in with a new thought. However, I deem that unlikely.

Expect that this will be moved to Unapproved Contests within the next few days.

NearbyHermit: If you send me your list of potential questions via PM, I will review them and try to help find a solution.

Level 9
But how about we will install a quiz with questions without answers on the net (real lore, not rubbish) and if there will be a time limit to submit the answers; it is most likely people wouldn't cheat. Here how I thought it is going to be:
1) Users that want to take place in the contest will sign first.
2) The quiz will be send to the users that signed up at decided time (day and hour).
3) The users will have short time limit to answer all the questions, so they must be quick and will not have time to search for clues on the net
4) After the time limit will be expended the users must to pm their answers to the judge. The one who submitted the largest number of correct answers wins.
5) the questions must be answered in detailed form, so if someone just copied the answers he will be disqualify from the contest.

Or we can just ask from the wiki managers to close the site until the time duration will expend.

Level 36
I Highly doubt that they will close their site just so we can have a pissy little contest without cheating. And besides, the internet is a large place, WoW Wiki isn't the only place to find answers. How about you run along and ask google to shut down for a little while too?

The logistics involved in trying to prevent cheating outweigh this contest. It just isn't worth it.

If you do decide to do this, then make the rep prize something very small, like +2 for the winner. That way, even if they do cheat, they aren't getting much out of it.

Level 24
Prizes
-1st -wins 10 Rep and hopefully some real reputation among Hive
-2nd -wins 5 Rep.
-3rd -wins just a ,,Thank you for participating''.

Well WoW Wiky answers from all warcraft lore (Im asking from Warcraft 3 lore)If they answer from WoW wiky they could make a mistake and answer with lore from Wc1 or Wc2
For example Tagar Bonecrusher is to be found in Wc1.Ive ment the Tagar from Mulgore-You know the one who gives Rexxar the quest to slay all those kodo-killing harpyes.He's the second in charge after Cairne
Lets try a little more with the questions
-Guess these three items
1)Costs 500 gold and give 50 movespeed
2)Rexxar finds it in the kobold mines-costs 50 gold and gives +1 damage and 15% chance to Bash
3)Cost 10k gold and has Resurrection abillity,is a orb

Level 36
1) Your rep prizes are FAR too high for a contest that you could easily cheat at. First place will be +2 rep.

2) It's spelt 'Wiki' there is no 'y'.

3) You're questions will have to be a lot more descriptive so that people know who the hell you're talking about. Your answer could screw up a cheater on WoW Wiki, yes, but what if the person actually knew the answer? What if they knew both of the Tagars, but guessed one of them because they didn't know who the hell you were talking about, because you couldn't be bothered to be more specific?

Also, making questions based on the stats of an item are total BS. It's like saying, in a lord of the rings contest "How many grams of ash did Frodo get stuck in his nose as he walked up Sauron's Path on Mount Doom?" It's completely irrelevant, and shouldn't be a question. The questions should be based on abstract knowledge (not commonly known facts) rather than miniscule details that don't matter worth of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.