• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question about custom Ability IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi. I'm trying to organize my custom abilities by using custom ability IDs (using NewGen to enter desired ID). So my question is, what happens if I use an ID used by one of the original spells?

Let's take Aerial Shackles which has 'Amls' and let's say I make a custom ability with the same ID, which one will be referenced in the trigger editor?

Also, most custom abilties gets 2 custom IDs. If I for example base a spell on Attribute Bonus (Aamk), it appears in the object editor as '<CustomID>:Aamk'. What does this mean?

Level 23
magic will happen. You will probably reference the build-in ability if you try to use the rawcode.
I got into this situation once, only in editor, and the ability is not removable, so you have to remove all user-made abilities, or start the map from anew.

The combo is for user entries inside the object editor, and it basically is "Id1:Id2", where Id1 is the id of the ability, and Id2 is the id of ability that this ability is based on.

So if I copy footman, and create footman superultra, then if I show the rawcode, it will be "h000:hfoo"

Level 23
Yes, if you copy footman and give him rawcode H000, he will become hero.
h - human units
H - human heroes
u - undead units
U - undead heroes
dont know elf or orc, but neutrals are n/N.
Custom user units depend on the one you copy it from, so if you copy it from footman, it will suggest h000 first.

Items: i
Abilities: A

dont know the rest because they are mainly unimportant to me :D

Level 24
Follow these 7 simple step:

1, Make 2 unit types with the same id.
2, Place the units in the terrain editor.
3, Watch what happens.
4, Realize that what you wanted to do is breaking game mechanics.
5, Imagine what would happen when you create two abilities with the same ID.
6, Read how abilities are defined in JASS (using rawcode).
7, Realize that what you wanted to do is impossible.

About the second point, every ability has a certain Ability Type.
The ability type is merely hardcoded shit which we cant change.
Every ability has a certain effect that happens when it is cast.
For example a buff is applied, which does not happen with most abilities.
These things are hardcoded and stored in the effects of the Ability Types.
Every ability needs some reference to it's ability type and custom abilities refer to their base ability.
This is also required to show/hide the right object editor data fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.