• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Quakematch Hero Arena - Previewing & Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello :)
As some of you may already know, I've been working on a hero-arena kind map with Laika from TheHelper forums, who's been doing some elite triggering. The map hasn't been officially announced yet, but I thought of giving a heads up on things and hopefully gather a few suggestions to implement.

Whats this map all about?
Hero survival based on team coordination. The map supports a maximum of 10 players, split into 5 teams of two players. We hope to implement other kinds of gameplay in the future, but for now the first team to score a certain amount of kills is the winner.

Quakematch? Kinda name is that?
Its just better not to ask. Really, it was the first thing that came up on my mind. :p

What makes this map so special?
The terrain and the triggers have been carefully developed to adjust the map to this kind of gameplay. Countless events will happen in the map at the same time, so you get instant action from the beggining of the game; if you stand still you'll end up loosing items and extra status points for your hero. :(

Ok, what about the heroes?
For now we have a selection of 12 heroes, each one carrying its own unique item, which can't be sold or dropped, granting unique abilities to the heroes - That going from evasion and attack damage increase to hitpoint increase or a chance to deal double damage. :D

And what happens while I'm playing?
There are certain key locations in the map where tomes and other hidden items will spawn periodically. Some of these locations are protected by creeps which might to be difficult to defeat until you reach a higher level, or obtain higher class items. The next important event is the duel system which hasn't been implemented yet but will hopefully be ready before 1.0 launch, where 2 heroes will randomly be chosen every few minutes, and put in a duel arena to fight to death. Prizes will vary. :shades:

Yeah yeah... thats good enough but what about some screenies?
Right. I have uploaded some screenshots to ImageShack. Here are the links:
Screenshot 1, Screenshot 2, Screenshot 3 and Screenshot 4.

Its all cool, but how can I contribute to make this map better?
You can reply to this thread saying what you think of the map so far and what else you think it might be a good idea to have implemented in a hero-arena map. Also, I'll randomly invite some of the people who reply to the thread to participate in the beta testing. :)

Level 3
Map Preview

Today I'll give further information about the map itself. Hints to quickly obtain items and get ahead of your opponents, as well as detailed area informations.

You may open a seperate window to view the World Map to understand the following descriptions properly. :)

Crystalia Island - The Frozen Hell
Known to always have its temperatures at extremely low levels, the Crystalia Island will be the main battlefield for the tournament, hosting up to 5 player spawn points and other several hidden item spawn locations, as well as its own shop.
Player Spawn Points: 5
Has Unique Shop: Yes
Item Spawn Points: 9+

Maelstrom Island - The Underwater Paradise
Target of massive vulcanic activities, the Maelstrom Island will soon disappear from the map as it is filling with water from all sides. Hosting up to 3 player spawn points, this Underwater Paradise proves to be the perfect place for a slaughter. Why not taint the island in red if it'll be gone soon, anyway?
Player Spawn Points: 3
Item Spawn Points: 8+

Silverwood Island - The Hidden Point
Well known for hosting unique animal species, the Silverwood Island is a fairly small place for large combats, and should mainly be used as shortcut to other islands or to buy items at its shop.
Player Spawn Points: 2
Item Spawn Points: 4+

--

Basics and Strategies:

Analyze the Battlefield - You never know where your hero will spawn once you select him, because this process is made randomly. Once you spawn, quickly look towards all directions and look for item spawn locations. Theres always a unprotected item spawn location near each hero spawn point. You didn't know that right? Read further for more hints! :p

Who are your enemies?
Each hero has a unique item, and, depending on the situation, that item may turn the tide for you, or against you. Analyze your enemies carefully, try to see which items he/she is currently carrying and remember: don't try to be a smartass trying to backstab enemy heroes, as your location, as well as everyone else's is pinged on the minimap every few minutes.

The more items the Better!
Continuously look for item spawning locations and grab whatever items are available because, even if you don't plan to use them, they can be sold for some extra cash. Also, if you can't carry any more items, look forward to destroying it, unless you like to help your enemies!

Gold? Lumber? WTF?
Remember, in this game you're not a Town Hall or a Black Citadel! You may only carry a certain amount of gold and lumber at a time! Remember to always spend your money on something if you're too rich, even if its on potions, to keep the money rolling in!

--

Damn I'm kinda tired of writing right now, but I'll come back later with more hints and tips, as well as further information on events of the map. Theres a lot more to come!

Level 2
Looks nice, and innovative.

Good luck with it hope it turns out well.

edit: Whoa, I accidently said the exact same thing as the guy above me. "Good luck with it"

Level 3
Damn is anyone alive in this forum?
Anyway, we're hiring!

Current Positions:
- Triggerer/Scripter
- JASS Expert
- Beta Testers
- Sound Manager

If you're qualified or has any experience to take place on one of the above positions, please reply to the thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.