• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Puzzle Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Hello.

I am making a map and the bigger part of action would be puzzles that would require to use head (instead of hack'n'slash) in order to pass one area to another, or obtain item, or some secrets etc. I'd like to hear your ideas what kind of puzzles or riddles could be done via coding. Just a basic idea.

For example:

1. Gates are closed, there are few doodads around the area, destroying it would open it.
2. There are three obelisks, around every obelisk 3 different elements orbs, attacking obelisk force its orbs to move into different position, hiting three times, orbs makes a circle. With certain combination item spawns in the middle of the area.
3. There are three obelisks, attacking it, it lights up for few seconds. The goal is to light them up all before any of them expires, result is an item spawn.
4. There is an island in the lake and on it there is an item, you can not reach it. You must find an item that makes you able to walk through water in order to reach it.
5. There are up to 5 mirrors, attacking it it change rotation and reflects light, when light hits gates, it opens.
6. Giving an ordinary word riddle and answer must be typed through chat.

Your ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Level 30
Iceborn is quite an ice based theme and has ice themed terrain. How about: 4 switches and a locked door. The door can be opened when 3 of them are activated though they must be in a pattern and it depends to you on what you like with the pattern. To make it harder, 1-2 of the switch is frozen in ice and requires an item maybe flame based item to thaw the ice and be able to use it.

Level 9
Making a bomb slide to the gate seems fun.
(e.g. The start point is like this :
---X---X---X--- CLOSED
after hitting the right switches
---O---O---O--- BOOM ! )

EDIT : Now that I think of it, boosters, ramps, slowers ( ? ), curved terrain ( which will curve the direction of the bomb ) will make this awesome. Awesome in a way that your players are having fun using their brains, of course :)

Level 23
I got some!

• A room with X number of doors each with different colors. The player must move to the right door to enter the next stage/room. A clue will be given according to the color of the right door.
  • A riddle room. An empty room with an object that would blink/move/shift like morse code. There would be a riddle shown and the answer of that riddle is shown in the morse code object.
  • There would be X elevator switches in an area. The players will have to guess the right combination to open the gates.
  • A room with a grid of destructible objects. The player must destroy the object with the key to open the gate. If he opens a gate with bomb/trap, he would have to start all over again. Like minesweeper.
  • A player enters a room with an invisible floor maze (Abyss Tiles and using invisible platforms to make an invisible maze). If the player "falls", he will start all over again. There would have to be a clue of some sort to make this easier. This would work like in Ecruteak Gym in pokemon.
    150px-Ecruteak_Gym_GSC.png
EDIT: Didn't look at the link though, hope this would still suit what you're looking for. :3

Level 31
Woah, nice ideas. I may surely use those, it actually gave me ideas of my own interpretation of this.

And that link of yours, Hera, gave me ideas how to make the invisible path puzzle. Basically I would put some kind of objects at sides and these objects links with invisible path, path would be only vertical and horizontal lines. Just a quick brainstorm.

Rep given. Thanks for ideas. More is of course appreciated. :)

Level 28
Ice-themed you say...

The ever-popular slide-in-a-straight-line-until-you-hit-an-obstacle-then go-at-a-right-angle course.

A grid of platforms like those square sliding puzzles: Step on one to slide it towards the empty spot, until they're in the right order or a door becomes reachable.

Not sure how you could implement this one but... make a large surface covered in ice tiles, every time a tile is walked over it cracks. Walk over a cracked tile and you fall into the room beneath, crack all the tiles once and a door opens.

Cast a frost spell over puddles of water, creating patches of passable ice or columns that can be used as stairs.

While the word puzzle is a good idea, please, please, please, have the solution written somewhere in-game. What seems clever to one is hopelessly obscure to another.

Level 23
A grid of platforms like those square sliding puzzles: Step on one to slide it towards the empty spot, until they're in the right order or a door becomes reachable.

This remind me of something in pokemon too. Where when you walk into ice, you'll slide across until you're in a dirt tile again/an obstacle is in the way.
icepath.jpg
GraphTheory3.png

That would be a cool puzzle too.

But well, here's some more of my ideas. :D
  • A room with a caged cat and a little mouse across the room. All the player has to do is find the key to free the cat. The cat will eat the mouse and open the gate for yo. (Reference to the Tom and Jerry show xD)
  • A simple maze but the ground will break as the player moves through it. If the player falls, everything is reset and he will start all over. A different maze everytime would be cool too. I remember there's a ground break system just uploaded.
  • There would be a bunch of plants, 1 gate, and X obelisk/whatever. The player would have to destroy a specific plant to light up one of the obelisks. After destroying a plant, it will grow again in XX seconds turning off the obelisk. The player will have to turn on all of the obelisks to open the gate.
  • There would be several objects pointing at the gate, when a player attacks an object, it will shoot a beam/missile with a specific color towards the gate. The player will have to attack several of these objects and make the right color combination that will match the color of the gate. Example: 1 object shoots a blue laser, another shoots a red one. If the color of the gate is violet/purple, the gate will open. Of course more combinations would be more fun. :D

Level 28
^ That's what I meant by slide-in-a-straight-line puzzle, but the picture makes it clearer.

New one: three or more obelisks in a line (or a grid), each a different color. Attacking one changes not only its color, but the color of those beside it. The goal is to make them all the same color.

Level 30
Another suggestion, if you will have such caves in your game or anything that involve cave how about add some pits there, where when you fall, you will fall into an another area of the cave and there will be climb-able cliffs to ascend into the levels again.

And I do think this is a random puzzle idea that involves on memorizing pits on where they lead into and such.

Level 29
And another;

When you enter into a room full of enemies, your attack button is disabled, they will hunt you down (like pacman), then when you pick a certain item (timed), you'll be invulnerable and enables the attack, when all enemy dies the gate will open...

Acid/fire throw on the floor, it's your job NOT to let it happen by catching it, else you will burn and die, if you survive, you win...

Status
Not open for further replies.