• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PuddleOfWaterItem+WardAv035 and vB003

Another model of mine, something simple yet somehow super lacking in war craft 3 maps.

iv seen a lot, and I mean A LOT, of items (water puddle, bucket of water, ect) using the Abilities\Spells\NightElf\MoonWell\MoonWellTarget.mdl model.

this Item+Ward Combo is based off of Abilities\Spells\NightElf\MoonWell\MoonWellTarget.mdl with added vertex's making it a lot more round in shape. added a collision sphere so it can be targeted with right click, and vertex extents making it capable of being targeted by left click. a portrait camera so it doesn't look glitchy in the portrait window, positioned it so it fits perfectly inside the selection circle as an item. then animated it a bit more to make it a worthy ''ward''.

the animations are:
Birth
Stand portrait - 1
Death
Spell First

the difference between spell first and birth, is birth is instant like an items birth should be, but puddles don't grow instantly, so spell first is the birth animation slowed down by 100 fold. to use this, would require triggering, or unit data of some kind. Spell first is only useful to those making it into a unit-ward.

I know its kinda simple, but comparing the original Abilities\Spells\NightElf\MoonWell\MoonWellTarget.mdl and this model in game makes it worth the 6 kb file size if you need a map with drinkable single charge puddle runes. or simply like the looks of it confining to the terrain hence a doodad, without spamming terrain with shallow water. perhaps you want water to come and go in game during rain storms ect, or like the idea of destructible water formations using some splashy water effect on there point as heroes stomp over them.

if people want me to add built-in water splash effect, let me know and Il update it. it is kind of simple as it is. so I could do that if people cared enough.

---UPDATE 1--- inspired by ''sPy's'' ''WaterBullet'' I imitated his particle emitters by visually studying them in MAGO's and then toned them down in my model, the item now has a decent ''Death'' Animation art effect. I did not steal his model, I just kinda looked at it briefly.

---UPDATE 2--- had broken it by accidently deleting a key frame causing birth to play over and over instead of stand.

---UPDATE 3--- fixed the emitter making soft white rings so now it will not play for all eternity after the item is destroyed or plays ''death'' animation. no longer plays during birth or spell first either. just during stand and death.

---UPDATE 4, ALMOST 3/4 OF A YEAR LATER--- I re-centered the model better so it fits better inside selection circles, and added as the portrait file, another version. it was too small of an edit to upload as a new model, because i only re colored 1 emitter a tiny bit and changed a layer to additive instead of blend, and made it un shaded, adding a brighter look. more suited to sunken ruins maps like mine. this update is not critical but I felt like making it now any way.

Keywords:
Item, Water, Puddle, Ward, Destructible, Oh god the whole world is drowning, oh god, oh,oh god, oh god, blublublublub
Contents

PuddleOfWaterItem+WardAv035 and vB003 (Model)

PuddleOfWaterItem+WardAv035 and vB003 (Model)

Reviews
19:00, 3rd Nov 2012 -Grendel: useful and this is rather creative. approved.

M

19:00, 3rd Nov 2012
-Grendel: useful and this is rather creative. approved.

you'd have more fun using the water model created on warcraft3campaigns here:http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=82133

this would be easier to work with I think as a flying air unit, TLI-Inferno.

but you're compliments are appreciated. 3/5??? thats pretty good for something as weak as iv made here!

and thank you JollyD!

and thank you doomhammer99!

that's if you are using it as an item, if you are using it as a unit, then that doesn't happen.

puddles don't really form on hill sides any ways. but if you needed the vertexes higher, then that's fine. I don't use this model on very sloped terrain my self. I flatten some out especially for it.

that being said, if you raised the vertex up a bit to fix something that bothers you that's fine, maybe even I can implement it. I'l look into that.

a square form? hmm.. not too likely im afraid, im sorry, I don't really wc3 model edit any more, Im trying to model edit starcraft2 now.

a magic boarder? you mean like an aura put onto the outer edges of the puddle? I hadn't even thought of that, these puddles are not meant to be magical, but a magic puddle might be a neat idea. I have no idea what it is you'd be looking for in it though.

the only other ''puddle'' I had started but later abandoned, was a green water version, the blighted poison water color, bright pale green, but I never finished it. because the barrens dark green water looked better. and I was too lazy to finish the texture swap conversion. I haven't touched puddles since.

sorry diegiot. no promises. I might, I dunno yet.

Level 21
a square form? hmm.. not too likely im afraid, im sorry, I don't really wc3 model edit any more, Im trying to model edit starcraft2 now.

a magic boarder? you mean like an aura put onto the outer edges of the puddle? I hadn't even thought of that, these puddles are not meant to be magical, but a magic puddle might be a neat idea. I have no idea what it is you'd be looking for in it though.

the only other ''puddle'' I had started but later abandoned, was a green water version, the blighted poison water color, bright pale green, but I never finished it. because the barrens dark green water looked better. and I was too lazy to finish the texture swap conversion. I haven't touched puddles since.

sorry diegiot. no promises. I might, I dunno yet.
I suggested it for spells, like, "create a puddle of water that increases speed and regeneration (naga)".