• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Psychological "Disorders"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Which is explained by my neuropsychiatric disorder called Aspergers Syndrome which usually generates high IQ at the expensive of not being able to perform simple tasks in life. Common with people of high IQ

Oh yay, another Aspie.

Do you also share the ability to see how things work by looking at them? Then taking them apart and back together.

Try old CD Drives, I find them interesting.

Level 13
I have Aspergers Syndrome too. I really don't think it affects your IQ. Then again, my knowledge of it is limited seeing as I can't be arsed to read books about a condition I happen to have.

Seeing as I've never taken an IQ test, neither online (because I know they're made of fail and lies) or real (because I haven't had the chance :<) I dunno my IQ.

Last edited:
Level 6
Oh yay, another Aspie.

Do you also share the ability to see how things work by looking at them? Then taking them apart and back together.

Try old CD Drives, I find them interesting.

Hehe, No, I do not possess that ability.
Aspergers Syndrome isn't a way to do things, it's how your brain processes everything around you.
Most people with that disorder experiences it differently, but shares the crucial things like (Most of the time); High IQ, Concentration issues, trouble understanding what other people mean, and overanalyzing things.

I used to be a teacher in a class for teenagers with various disorders like ADHD, ADD, Aspergers Syndrome and Autism. I was a teacher in something called "Life Experience", which is basically just me trying to teach young teens how to live with their disorder, and how to turn it into a strength by taking advantage of the things you're good at, instead of falling apart due to the things you're not good at.

But it's nice to know I'm not the only one around here who has that diagnosis. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21
High IQ, Concentration issues, trouble understanding what other people mean, and overanalyzing things.

... Thats weird... I have all those things O,o and I didn't knew it... seriously.. thats no joke.

Ive always had problems to understand other people, and if i get something to know I analyze it at all and try to use the analyzed knowledge...

And I got huge problems with concentration, I am nearly all the time talking stuff in the class... because I cannot concentrate on the teacher.. and I can hardly concentrate on math at all... but on somethings, which I like, I can concentrate all day...

Level 6
... Thats weird... I have all those things O,o and I didn't knew it... seriously.. thats no joke.

Ive always had problems to understand other people, and if i get something to know I analyze it at all and try to use the analyzed knowledge...

And I got huge problems with concentration, I am nearly all the time talking stuff in the class... because I cannot concentrate on the teacher.. and I can hardly concentrate on math at all... but on somethings, which I like, I can concentrate all day...

To determine whether a person has Aspergers Syndrome or not, you need to look into each of those issues and see the underlying problem.

But to me, you sound just like a person with Aspergers Syndrome. Especially the "but on somethings, which I like, I can concentrate all day", which is a very very common thing amongst people with AS. Sometimes focusing on 1 thing for so long it becomes a problem. Like neglecting to visit the bathroom, or eating food, and so on.

Perhaps you should bring it up with your folks? Or someone else? Getting a diagnosis might help make your life easier, and giving you some insight into your problems instead of wondering why you're having a hard time doing something everyone else has such an easy time doing.

Attachments

• CreativityTest.JPG
    CreativityTest.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 64
Level 21
Hm, probably thats a good idea, well, I wondered my whole life why I am so different in many things -.-....

Whatever... thanks alot.

BTW, another thing I always wondered about was, I had never to learn for school... at all, I was first on a school for problematic children and came to an normal secondary modern school, there I just jumped to... how can I say... I got the high-school diploma without any problems, I never had problems, now I am on a specialized colleague where I make my matura... I did all that without any learning... and had ever only grades about 2 - 1, just on math always 4 - 5....

Level 20
Carrigage said:
But it's nice to know I'm not the only one around here who has [Asperger's].
On the Hive, everyone and their goddamn mother has Asperger's apparently. People love diagnoses which attribute them high intellect and give them a reason for their lacking social skills.

Also, why does everyone keep saying that genius and crazy are hand-in-hand?

I cba to reply to some of the other posts because they aren't even worthy of a response.

Level 20
redscores said:
HINDY, in my case, I have really these things,... why should I lie?
Fuck if I know.

I am creative.
I have an incredibly short term memory.
I like logic problems.
I love mathematics and the underlying logic.
I only have a handful of friends.
I usually have trouble expressing myself.

Therefore, I have Asperger's!!

redscores said:
But whatever, you are acting as always...
Haha.

Level 20
redscores said:
Learn to read please
See below.

redscores said:
HINDYhat? I never said that I have short term memory, nor that I am creative, nor that I like logical problems
...? Honestly, I wasn't even mocking you. I was talking about myself.

redscores said:
I have no hard feelings against you, but stop it, you are just making yourself look like an moron.
Classic.

Now, I was actually talking about something relevant to this discussion (how Asperger's is a ridiculous diagnosis and people from THW don't have genius intelligence).

Also, hawk, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Level 24
Hey, I do all of that too. It's mostly because I'm a fucking dipshit though, and not an actual retard.

Anyways, if you didn't know, it's because it wasn't serious enough to consider. If it wasn't serious enough to consider, you don't have a mental disorder.

Level 21
thats a wrong way of thinking, I had in my early live heavy problems, thats why I had to go for full 4 years to an psychologist, I told him about a problem with my father, because I thought the source of my problems would be he,... he told me that I got a trauma, because of my father, and thats the source of all my problems... hm...

And I never showed many people how I am... like... I was really quiet, in case of feelings.

Level 21
If you would have some logical feeling you would understand what I try to point out... I have no problems with my father anymore, but I suffer from the same disabilities....

Additional the psychologist analyzes what I say, so, I think I scrapped my own psycho analysis, you understand? I have the same disabilities as the asperger syndrome my whole live, and always thought my father did it... I don't want to have asperger, but it is a possibility.

So I will check that.

Level 20
It would be really helpful for you to point it out clearly, since not everyone is endowed with Asperger's syndrome to understand your incredibly complex thought patterns. You really think I'll believe that troubles with your father are what gave you a mental disorder which results in your high intelligence and difficulty in expressing your feelings?

Now, firstly, I really don't see how that could have contributed at all to your intelligence. Secondly, this discussion has nothing to do with sensitivity, or your ability to tell people how you are feeling.

Level 21
No, I dont think that you believe that my fathers problems gave me my high intelligence, nor a disorder, I had since I could think always problems with concentration, and the problems to explain myself to other people, and my mother thought it would be good that I go to a psychologist, there I told him the stuff about my father, and what problems I have (concentration, problem with expressing myself), he told me that I got a trauma, but 5 years later, I had another meeting with an psychologist, because I wanted to quit the school for bad behaving children, he told me first that I got a very high IQ, because I made a IQ test with him to test my ability to go to a normal school, there I got a IQ of 118, with 11 years.

So I thought I am just smart... and that the stuff about my concentration is a trauma, like my psychologist told me, but I have still those problems, and until now I did not even know what the signs of aspergerger where... maybe if I knew this earlier, I would've made a test.

Level 6
First off, people usually "assume" they have something when they don't. And people ASSUME that by saying "I have Aspergers Syndrome" you're automatically an intellectual person.

That's bollocks!

I have Aspergers Syndrome, I have no reason to proove it, but I can say this.

It screws you over if you don't know how to live with it, and going around saying "I have Aspergers!" to every bloke you pass down the street is like advertising that you're deaf.

No one bloody cares if you have Aspergers Syndrome, but it's fact that Aspergers can cause high IQ, and that is why I even mentioned it.

Aspergers Syndrome is used to describe how a person's brain works and how that reflects your personality. It's a Neuropsychiatric Dysfunction. Neuro refers to your physical brain, and psychatric refers to your mental state.

People who think its silly to tag every mental state of a person, would be correct, if it weren't for the fact that Aspergers Syndrome is a status that can be applied to alot of people.
It's just a simple way of identifying which people needs help in today's society. Who's good at things, but can't get there by their own. Admitting that you have AS, is something you don't do lightly if you actually have it, because it's to show a weakness. And you don't advertise your weaknesses.

I have used a metaphor before, and here goes;

Your brain is a Roleplayer, it has 100 points to distribute on certain brain perks.
A normal brain would; Distribute them evenly to create balance.
A high-IQ brain would; Distribute them unevenly to create special abilities but effectively creating massive downsides.

That is why people with AS are incredibly good at some things, but horrendously awful at other things.

Level 18
First off, people usually "assume" they have something when they don't. And people ASSUME that by saying "I have Aspergers Syndrome" you're automatically an intellectual person.

That's bollocks!

I have Aspergers Syndrome, I have no reason to proove it, but I can say this.

It screws you over if you don't know how to live with it, and going around saying "I have Aspergers!" to every bloke you pass down the street is like advertising that you're deaf.

No one bloody cares if you have Aspergers Syndrome, but it's fact that Aspergers can cause high IQ, and that is why I even mentioned it.

Aspergers Syndrome is used to describe how a person's brain works and how that reflects your personality. It's a Neuropsychiatric Dysfunction. Neuro refers to your physical brain, and psychatric refers to your mental state.

People who think its silly to tag every mental state of a person, would be correct, if it weren't for the fact that Aspergers Syndrome is a status that can be applied to alot of people.
It's just a simple way of identifying which people needs help in today's society. Who's good at things, but can't get there by their own. Admitting that you have AS, is something you don't do lightly if you actually have it, because it's to show a weakness. And you don't advertise your weaknesses.

I have used a metaphor before, and here goes;

Your brain is a Roleplayer, it has 100 points to distribute on certain brain perks.
A normal brain would; Distribute them evenly to create balance.
A high-IQ brain would; Distribute them unevenly to create special abilities but effectively creating massive downsides.

That is why people with AS are incredibly good at some things, but horrendously awful at other things.
I got diagnosed with Aspergers at first after getting into trouble with my secondary school. I got rediagnosed and it was changed to PDD-NOS.

And I indeed wouldn't tell everyone I had been diagnosed with it. In fact only 1 of my best friends knows it from me. My mother keeps telling everyone though and keeps reading magazines on how to handle children with autism, which I... kinda hate.

The thing is that when I had to go through all this psychological research stuff it got me totally demotivated to do anything else and I messed up by stopping using my special abilities to make myself look more normal (while still having the massive downsides).

I have brought up the idea of being misdiagnosed, mainly because I lied a lot during the first research sessions and because I thought autism also had to do with a way your brain handles signals without filtering, which I can't notice for myself. I was told that I should not bother about my diagnose and if it was actually right, but keep it as an excuse for getting help on some things I suck at (getting in contact with new people, doing presentations at school).

Level 6
Asking people for their IQ is a rather touchy subject. If anyone says "I have high IQ", others read that as "I'm better than you", and if anyone attempts to admit low IQ, people will read that as "I'm a retard".

There's no way a subject like this can be discussed with people who lack the appropriate knowledge of what IQ really is and extends to in reality.

Same thing applies for Autism and Neuropsychiatric Dysfunctions. Some have it, some don't, some even doubts it existance. You can't discuss a subject unless every person in it has the knowledge required to discuss it, or at least has the guts to accept new things and learn from it, granted that they know they can trust the person teaching them. (Which won't happen on a forum.) Otherwise it's just words forming gibberish sentences for the sake of making arguments.
Aka. Flamewars :wink:

Level 21
Well, Teh Ephy, he has not really analyzed me, he asked me about my problems between my father and me, and what I think about my father and so on... seriously, he never attempted to ask me what is about me, nor did he care what other problems I had.

Seriously, I read all symptomes of aspergers on a medical website about autism, and 100% of the symptomes written there match me... but I will let it test...

Level 6
Not everything is a conspiracy-theory, hehe. Psychologists job is to help. Just like any other doctor.

Trust me, Psychologicsts will NEVER run outta jobs. Just like Surgeons never will. :grin:

Level 23
Well, Teh Ephy, he has not really analyzed me, he asked me about my problems between my father and me, and what I think about my father and so on... seriously, he never attempted to ask me what is about me, nor did he care what other problems I had.

Seriously, I read all symptomes of aspergers on a medical website about autism, and 100% of the symptomes written there match me... but I will let it test...

You know placebo? If you believe you have aspergers, then you will get the symptoms after reading them, or convince yourself that you had them.. I doubt that you have aspergers.

Level 6
You know placebo? If you believe you have aspergers, then you will get the symptoms after reading them, or convince yourself that you had them.. I doubt that you have aspergers.

Well, whilst you're right, you shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Aspergers Syndrome, ADD and ADHD are all quite common these days. Theories of it being "Human evolution to adapt to a new society" has been thrown around on more than one occasion.

Neither of you should assume anything. IF you honestly believe you have Aspergers Syndrome, then contact someone who can diagnose you.
Until then, it's all just speculations, and that goes for both of you. No point arguing about something neither of you can proove.

Level 23
Well, whilst you're right, you shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Aspergers Syndrome, ADD and ADHD are all quite common these days. Theories of it being "Human evolution to adapt to a new society" has been thrown around on more than one occasion.

Neither of you should assume anything. IF you honestly believe you have Aspergers Syndrome, then contact someone who can diagnose you.
Until then, it's all just speculations, and that goes for both of you. No point arguing about something neither of you can proove.

I just think its stupid, starting trowing it in peoples faces that he has it, and if it turns out he doesn't.. ADD and ADHD may not be that rare, but still, no reason to jump conclusions based on a list of syntomps on the internet.

Level 6
I just think its stupid, starting trowing it in peoples faces that he has it, and if it turns out he doesn't.. ADD and ADHD may not be that rare, but still, no reason to jump conclusions based on a list of syntomps on the internet.

True. But instead of trying to bash his fear(Enthusiasm?) about having it, you should encourage him to find out for certain instead.

Level 17

I don't see the connection between dummy medicine and mentally associating awkward tendencies with a development disorder. Or was the statement following not an answer to the question prior to it?

Level 22
I don't see the connection between dummy medicine and mentally associating awkward tendencies with a development disorder. Or was the statement following not an answer to the question prior to it?
Placebo is not only the dummy medicine.
I'll quote enjoy 'cause I'm lazy :D
enjoy said:
If you believe you have aspergers, then you will get the symptoms after reading them, or convince yourself that you had them..
If you believe something hard enough it might become true. I.e if you are 100% certain that you are sick then you'll get sick. There was also a guy who almost cured a patient from cancer through the effect called "placebo". He called it "visualization" though.

Level 21
Well, I am mostly a very serious guy, why should I think up when I have no good arguments for myself, some of them are: many teachers told me that I have problems, which were mainly of the nature which is caused by aspergers, for example I had problems to get contact to other children (because I most time had so much interest in something, I fell in a trance and worked on it until it was complete (WC3 mapping for example), so I we're not interest in things which other people did...), the stuff I said was always hard to understand, for myself, it was 100% clear, I always analyze everything, that is annoying for some people, they told me to think easier, but I can't, even when I try... then again I never could concentrate on anything which didn't interest me, even when I tried, I could not concentrate at all... especially on math I could never concentrate, and on german in the school.

I think I judged myself serious, without creating some freaky "illusions"...

Level 24
I most time had so much interest in something, I fell in a trance and worked on it until it was complete (WC3 mapping for example), so I we're not interest in things which other people did...
Getting immersed in something that really interests you is completely normal. Just look at the Harry Potter fandom. Next problem.

the stuff I said was always hard to understand, for myself, it was 100% clear
Lots of people are bad at explaining what they actually mean. Poke around the forums or HIVEChat and see for yourself. Next problem.

I always analyze everything, that is annoying for some people, they told me to think easier, but I can't, even when I try...
Statisticians earn money by analyzing everything. So do physicians and physicists and psychologists and medical researchers. You're annoying, so what? Next problem.

then again I never could concentrate on anything which didn't interest me, even when I tried, I could not concentrate at all... especially on math I could never concentrate, and on german in the school.
Unable to concentrate on things that don't interest you? Hmm, it sounds like you might be an average male, you should see your doctor about it immediately. Next problem.

I think I judged myself serious, without creating some freaky "illusions"...
I think you're jumping to conclusions and exaggerating "symptoms" that are actually common. Your psychologist would have noticed if you had Asperger's Syndrome.

Level 13
On the first issue, he might've explained that poorly. When that happens to me I'm almost completely shut out from the outside world, and get really really pissed if interrupted.

On the rest of the issues I must say I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.