• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

prospecting system (issues w/unit attachment and permanent invisibility)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to read about my issue.

I'm working on a prospecting system for my map. Currently, when the player uses the prospecting ability (AOE targetable) on some rock chunks (custom units), if there is ore present, temporary dummy rock chunks are created in those locations and a glowing rune is attached overhead, indicating what type of ore is present. I'm using dummy rock chunks that I gave permanent invisibility so only you and your allies can see the results of your prospecting (or possibly someone with the ability to see invisible).

Everything works well, except for a couple of issues:

1) When the glowing rune is attached to the dummy rock chunks of your enemies, you can see the birth of the rune before it turns invisible.

2) I don't mind this, but I really want to understand why I can't see the enemy runes even when I have some way to detect invisible objects (like a gem of true seeing or dust of appearance). The dummy rock chunks have the locust ability, so I think maybe that's why the dust of appearance might not be having an effect, or maybe you just can't see attachments on invisible units.

As always, thank you for reading about my issue and for any help.

Level 4
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah. The dummy rock chunks belong to the owner of the triggering (prospecting) unit.

During testing, I tested it by giving the dummy rock chunks to the owner of the triggering unit, an ally, and an enemy.

Level 4
After further testing, I've determined the dummy rock chunk with or without attachment is visible for about 2 seconds. The dummy rock chunk doesn't even have a birth animation. Does anyone know why it stays visible for 2 seconds? The Art - Animation - Blend Time is set to 0 or .01. (I tried both but it didn't change it). Thanks.

Level 4
It seems to happen whether I use units or units w/attachments. Here is mini test map of my most recent attempt to solve the problem. It shows that even though you're just creating colored rock chunks for teal (an enemy), you can still see them for about 2 seconds. You shouldn't be able to see them. They have permanent invisibility.

Attachments

• RealmProspecting0.001.w3x
    191.8 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.