• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] Project Wari [ Recruiting Terrain Texture Artist ]

WariLogo.png

Welcome to the Project Wari Thread

Introduction
Project Wari aims to create a Open Source General RTS Resource. Ideally including a RTS Engine, Map Editor, Assets, Tech-tree and Resources, open to everyone to use. However do note I say "Ideally", which means none are promised. Currently the Only Parts that is "Confirm Achievable" is the Tech-tree and Assets, as those are something I can make myself. Things like RTS Engine, Map Editor are not sure if it is even achievable, however for those difficult ones, attempt will be made.

Other than 3D Models, I will be outsourcing and paying people to make this project, very likely out of my own pocket.

Timeline
Do not expect too much from this project, I'm just a stupid guy chasing my dream, this project will be a Extremely slow progress because I am only one person, and my pocket are not Deep. The Plan is to slowly piece up the puzzle one by one bit by bit when I have money.

My Role
I will plan and piece the Project up when I have free time. Being a 3D Artist, I will make Texture, Animate, Model, Rig and Animate Character Models, I will also attempt to Come up with a Techtree for the Project.

Project Vision
I will plan and piece the Project up when I have free time. Being a 3D Artist, I will make Texture, Animate, Model, Rig and Animate Character Models, I will also attempt to Come up with a Techtree for the Project.

Project Module
This Project includes the "Overambitious" module where it has high chance of being abandoned, and "Achievable" Module where it is possible to be made given enough time. The Assets Pack, Unit Data, and Techtree Design will be made in a Engine Agnostic Manner, so that in case RTS Engine and Map Editor is not doable by Me, the Assets, Unit Data and the Rest of the Project will be able to use by others who can Buld a reliable RTS Engine.

RTS Engine (Overambitious)
The Engine will be build using the Godot Engine. Whether if this part of the project is achievable and if I can able to fund it is unknown yet, However I have commissioned a Developer from Fiverr that seems quite capable to Build it. So All I can Hope is it will Work Well, For the Most Part, The RTS Engine biggest challenge is the Pathfinding. This Engine Should be Highly Moddable.

2D + 3D Hybrid
As a Design Choice, I want the engine to be a 2D and 3D Hybrid, that means you can switch between 3d and 2d mode without much problem, this is because RTS game is by nature a 2D Game, with 3D Assets mapped onto the 2D Game, that means in our case, the whole game can be represented as both 2D and 3D, all we need is Asset for Both, and this should be an Option for Map Makers whether for the game to be 2D or 3D, or Switchable. However, I Imagine the "Vanilla Experience" will be swappable. This way, anyone can decide to make 2D or 3D RTS Game using this Engine.

Map Editor (Overambitious)
To Go Alongside with the RTS Engine, a Strong Map Editor is a must, this will also be build using Godot Engine, However this part is as overambitious if not even more challenging than the RTS Engine. Lets Cross our finger and Wish this is Possible

Assets Pack (Achievable)
This is the most Achievable Section of the Project, this will be a whole Package of a Game Asset for the Project, Including 3D Model, Icon, Sprite, Texture, Music, Voice Lines, UI and Other Assets. The Project will be made Engine Agnostic and Universal Format, so in the event that the RTS Engine is not possible, this can be used by others for their own project.

Anyone can use this Asset, including Warmash, *wink wink

Currently the Intended File Formats are as Below
2D Textures = .png
Audio Files = .ogg / .mp3 / .wav
3D Model = .gltf / .blend

Game Data (Achievable)
Default Unit Data includes the data for Engine to use, also including balancing and others. This will be in a Universal Data, either in json, or csv format.
Data Included for examples are Unit Stats, Such as damage, armor, movement speed, and other Unit Setting.

Vanilla Techtree Design (Achievable)
Alongside with the Game Data, is the Race Design, the Idea is to have a set of Vanilla Race as a foundation, and Map Editor can create their own race
Initial Ideation first iteration and for prototype purpose, the Intended race are as Below
1. Human
2. Orc

The Team
No Team, Only me, and my very thin wallet. I can't afford to hire a full time Artist or Developer, Nor am I a experienced Project Manager, so it will be a Slow Process.

Recruiting
At the Current Stage, I am Recruiting some artist to help me with the project, Commission base on per Work Basis.

Concept Artist
I am looking for A Go to Concept Artist to Make some Concept art for Decoration, as well as Model Sheet for me to use to Make Model. Commissions base on per Concept Art Basis.

Terrain Texture Artist
I am looking for A Artist to Make Terrain Tileset Texture for the Project. Commissions base on per Tileset Basis.

License
This Project will be Using GPL License, to stay Free, Open Source, and Hopefully, never dies and able to passed on even if it ended up being abandoned.

Ideally, All Asset will be using a Permissive License as well, but that is to be decided.

It is my dream for this to turn into the Linux of RTS Game, Having Many different Distribution of the game.

Race and Techtree Design
(Initial, Open For Discussion and Change)

Human Techtree

Units

1. Worker
Builder, Resource Collector

2. Defender
Basic Melee Unit
Heavy Armor with Big Shield

3. Archer
Basic Ranged Unit

4. Mage
Magic Caster

5. Apothecary
Healer
Buff Ally

6. Ballista
Siege Weapon

7. Knight
Cavalry

8. Eagle Rider
Heavy Air Unit

9. Falcon Scout
Light Air Unit

10. Gryphon (Special)
Super Unit

11. Magic Golem / Great Defender / Humanity
Heavy Unit
Golem
Immune to Magic
Built, Not Trained

Hero

Champion / Paladin / Paragon (Mounted Warrior Hero)
Marksman / Ranger (Archer Hero)
Archmage / Archwizard (Floating Mage)

Construction

1. Town Hall -> Castle -> Fortress

2. Barracks
Train Defender
Train Archer
Train Knights
Stables Upgrade (Unlock Knights)
Archery Range Upgrade (Unlock Archer)

4. Blacksmith
Weapons Upgrades
Unlocks Stables Upgrade

5. Academy
Trains Mage
Unlocks Magic Golem

6. Herbalist Hut
Trains Apothecary
Heals Nearby Unit
Apothecary Upgrade

7. Aviary
Trains Eagle Rider
Trains Falcon Rider

8. Farm
Provides Population / Food

9. Marketplace
Buy / Sell Items

10. Watch Tower
Can Be Garrison by Archer or Mage

11. Cathedral / Ceremonial Ground
Summons Hero

12. Gryphon Nest (If Available)
Trains Gryphon

Orc Techtree

Units

1. Slave
Builder, Resource Collector

2. Warrior
Basic Melee Unit
Big Axe

3. Hunter
Javelin Thrower

4. Warlock
Magic Caster

5. Witch
Healer
Debuff Enemy

6. Catapult
Siege Weapon

7. Canine (Wolf Rider)
Cavalry

8. Harpy (Special)
Light Air Unit

9. Wyvern Rider
Heavy Air Unit

10. Dragon
Super Unit

11. Monstrousity / Ogre / Abomination
Heavy Unit
Built, Not Trained

Hero

War Chief (Mounted Warrior Hero)
Head Hunter (Hunter Hero)
Witch Doctor (Broom Rider)

Construction

Chief Hut -> Great Hall -> Stronghold

2. Warcamp
Train Warrior
Train Hunter

3. Beastiary
Train Canine
Train Wyvern Rider

5. Sacrificial Pit
Trains Warlock
Unlocks Monstrousity

6. Witch's Hut / The Great Couldron
Trains Witch
Witch Upgrade

8. Ranch
Provides Population / Food

9. Trading Post
Buy / Sell Items

10. Bunker
Garrison by Hunter or Warlock

11. Colloseum
Summons Hero

12. Dragon Cave / Volcano (If Available)
Trains Dragon

13. Crafting Hut
Upgrades

14. Harpy's Nest
Trains Harpy