• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
These are pictures of a terrain I'm doing for a project. I need some comments/feedback. This doesn't have to be an artistic masterpiece, it just needs to be playable and look good.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PT - Cathedral.JPG
    PT - Cathedral.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 248
  • PT - Cathedral 2.JPG
    PT - Cathedral 2.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 279
  • PT - Dock, ruins.JPG
    PT - Dock, ruins.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 252
  • PT - Forest Bay.JPG
    PT - Forest Bay.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 230
  • PT - Ships 1.JPG
    PT - Ships 1.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 239
  • PT - Tropic Ruins.JPG
    PT - Tropic Ruins.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 199
  • PT Snow-1.JPG
    PT Snow-1.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 189
Level 18
hmmm.

it depends. If your planning on an overhead view for the camera, you might want to remove some canopy trees... those can be annoying sometimes. However its a 3rd person camera, it would look nice.

try selecting doodads, and using [CTRL]+[Page Down] , to lower some hegihts of the trees. because the ugly roots are showing.

fix fog and sky combo. use a grey fog with a fogged sky. or a blue fog with a fogged sky ( or blizzard sky...)

other than that it seems pretty gud

Level 8
try selecting doodads, and using [CTRL]+[Page Down] , to lower some hegihts of the trees. because the ugly roots are showing.

I'll do that...maybe repost some of the pictures later.

Also, use boulders!!!

Sorry, but do you mean rocks, or some imported model? Or something else?

the playable area seems too small.

The play is going to be ship-based, so the islands just need to have a few paths.

Thanks, all.

Level 36
By boulders I mean the larger, more solid variations of the rock doodad, like 4 and 8. Also, rock spires, but not the really tall pointy ones, use the shorter and fatter ones that aren't quite as pointy. If there's one thing that I've learned from making terrain it's that pointy rocks should only be used when you want it to really stand out, and even then only use one or two.

Level 25
Making very large hills that look sort of like mountains so close to the shores of islands is something I wouldn't recommend. Make them much lower and smooth it out so the base of the hills smoothly goes to the surface and looks more like a clean lump rather than a steep mountain or cliff.

~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.