• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problems creating a missile weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi folks!
I've browsed this forum (and the rest of the internet) for hours now, but haven't found an answer that would help me @.@ (maybe I'm just too blind?)

Currently I'm working on a tower that i want to have a missile that pierces through targets and hit units behind.
Since I want the user to be able to use this ability in an optimized way, I need the attack ground order. Said this, I'm basing the ability off of artillery (missile).
So far, damage radius and spill work, but I can't find a way to damage units that are bypassed - and when attacking a ground, often even units in the targeted area do not get any damage.

Has anyone a good idea how to make this kind of ability (I prefer not in JASS since I haven't got enough time to learn it currently :( )?

Or maybe a good idea how to make a work-around with a dummy unit?

Thanks in advance for any useful comments :)

Level 29
first create a dummy ability called carion swarn/breath of fire, set area of effect to 50 & the final area to 50...next create a dummy unit...

create a tower, when that tower attack, create the dummy unit at the position of the tower then add the custom ability, then order the dummy unit to fire it at the direction of the attacked unit, the carion swarn will damage that unit 'in a line'

Level 5
Thanks for the support so far.
Missile (line) has some disadvantages for me:
- no more attack ground so that I can't use the piercing attack effectivly without permanent observation (which is kind of bad in a complex TD :S )
-units in front of the target, but in line of the missile don't get hit as well as models beyond don't receive the missile art anymore
-the missile doesn't travel its maximum distance (which shall be the reason to build this tower)

mckill's suggestion of carrion swarm seems to the the way to go.
Though one further question here: Since carrion swarm is an ability with no target, how can I detect which units are hit by it? Carrion swarm deals a fixed amount of magic damage and I'd like to do a random amount of pierce, so I need some kind of collision detection I guess (GUI, since I'm not into JASS yet :vw_sad: ).
One more problem I'm having here is: how to prevent a target from being both hit and damaged by the regular missile and the spell damage?

Level 5
Thanks, mckill2009
For the optical part, this is well.
My problems so far are:
a) carrion swarm deals magical damage.. I need to deal pierce damage in this case (my TD works with different damage and armour types).
b) I'm not dealing a random amount of damage. A lartge spear usually isn't like a canon that either blows you up or misses you.. can can also be hit only partially. Though this is more a fluff point and I can live without as long as there is a way to detect the damage of carrion swarm.

Mainly my problem left is detecting the damage of the carrion swarm ,the rest I'm capable of again (unit -order unit to deal damage (random amount) of type xxx to target..).

So once more I'm asking for your help :cred:

Status
Not open for further replies.