• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problem with importing models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, I have trouble importing some self-made models into my map. :sad:
When I attempt to import, the model always ends up as a checkered-cube. If I attempt to play the map as it is, the unit is invisible, and can only be selected through special icons such as those for a peasant or a Hero.

I have tried many, many things suggested by tutorials, users, as well as other people who had this "checkered cube" problem, including:
-Removing the "War3mapImported" off the path name.
-Restarting the world editor.
-Checking the texture's path name. I tested to see if the textures where the issue, but they work fine, unlike the models.
-Checking to see if the model was fine in WC3 viewer. It was working, though with ridiculously screwed-up animations. :hohum: The model was also completely red due to the lack of the texture.

I tried to see if I was doing something wrong during the importing process by downloading some other models and trying to import them, but I got those to work.

So, right now, there is only one thing I can think of that keeps me from using these models: they are corrupted, or missing some critical information.

Anyway, if someone could help me, or check the uploaded files(the text file contains the model) for any mistakes/lack of information, thanks in advance.

Also, the current model I am trying to upload is really simple: it's just a sphere with a pitch-black texture.

Attachments

• Eldreitch arm.mdx
    23.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Eldreitch arm.txt
    65.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Black.blp
    20 KB · Views: 65
Level 3
i have had problems with mdx files myself. i solved the problem by using an mdx to mdl converter then importing the mdl files as well as the mdx version. though wether the mdx file is needed is uncertain. the mdl file is clearly needed.
No idea how, but that worked! Thanks! :thumbs_up:

Well, one of my models ended up with some pretty terri-bad animations. :hohum: Gonna have to redo it yet again, though I heard Warforger won't mess up the animations like Gmax's exporters do.

For future reference, though, I'd like to point out that I also needed to change the bitmap/skin information on the original MDL files. That may have also been part of the problem. Referencing textures you don't know about seems to be more trouble than worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.